Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject of water and some tap water being disgusting...
    Anyone else notice that when you ask for a glass of water from a few resturants in town (Dublin) that it is completely disgusting?

Places I am talking about is the Full House in abbey street and the mongolian bbq in temple bar. The water has some weird twang off it thats hard to describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The water has some weird twang off it thats hard to describe.

Compared to your own water is there a difference in the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Compared to your own water is there a difference in the two?

Yup. A vast difference. But not only my water but same goes for the water in my girlfriends place. Both are just .. well, water. Both are fine to drink.

But in those places I mentioned... it's weird. It's hard to describe. You get this twang off the water and my girlfriend has said the same. The Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar is probably the best example of it. You see the staff fill from the tap and the jugs and glasses are clean. But yet the water tastes weird.

I can't put my finger on it but if I had to give an answer if tastes metallic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

lufties wrote: »
    There is fluoride in tap water

And oestrogen from the contraceptive pill too, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Luke92 wrote: »
    What are the actual dangers of fluoride? I currently have a suppressed immune system so have to boil my water. Boiling concentrates the fluoride so I'm getting more than most people.

Any dangers to me?

You'll just glow in the dark for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Microwave in terms of commercial/industrial use of wifi networks and microwaves ovens are both on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. Regular wifi is soon getting 'double channeled' to 5ghz but this just means 2.4Ghz x 2 channels), and who knows what future 1gb+/sec will be doing.

Totally off topic but 2x2.4Ghz channels do not make a 5Ghz channel and the resonant frequency of water molecules is somewhere around 2.4Ghz so 5Ghz will have little affect although it possibly might cause other problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

FFS...just buy some Hydrogen and some Oxygen and make your own. It's not rocket science.

Aye but don't let children carry the hydrogen because if they drop it and it smashes on the floor, they're going sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

I prefer tap water over bottled water to be honest. Although as mentioned previously, you cant go wrong with aldi/lidl.
    It's all the same ****e at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Totally off topic but 2x2.4Ghz channels do not make a 5Ghz channel and the resonant frequency of water molecules is somewhere around 2.4Ghz so 5Ghz will have little affect although it possibly might cause other problems.
    Totally off topic here but yes that post earlier that said 2 x 2.4 GHz channels = 5 GHz was total bollox. You don't just add frequencies like that unless you're mixing them, which wouldn't make sense in this case, and isn't what happens in WiFi.

The post also said that mobile phones heat your ear. While being technically true this would be in the region of hundredths of a degree due to heating from the phone signal. Your ear gets hot because it's touching your phone which gets hot, which is mainly due to the processor heating due to the relatively complex task that is making a call, and the battery heating due to internal resistances and the relatively large current required to make a call. Try holding it to your ear with airplane mode on but playing a movie or something, the sane thing will happen.

As an 'interesting' aside microwaves don't heat water by matching their resonant frequency, which is in the Terahertz range for impure water, but the dielectric effect.

I don't mean to belittle the OP necessarily, but the fact that this is branching off into radio waves shows the type of conspiracy type of associations people who are slightly uninformed about science make. I'm fully expecting EM sensitivity and anti-vax posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Aye so was thinking of 'multi channelling' with the 2.4... ...So a 5ghz base - that can't be good to be bouncing around the place surely? And 5ghz requires about twice as much transmission as running on shorter wave lengths, harder to go through walls etc. Official guidelines still exist for youngsters not to use mobile phones extensively as the waves can penetrate younger/thinner skulls more easily and effect the high percentage water base of the brain.

news today: IRISH Water has (today) warned hundreds of householders in an area on the north side of Limerick City that their water is not safe to drink. According to the letter, boiling the water will not remove the lead, distillation might...

other note: If storing water in plastic containers make sure they're labeled 'PET free'. Bottles made from a type of plastic known as PET, (polyethylene terephthalate), may also pack a substantial quantity of estrogen-mimicking pollution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

lufties wrote: »
    Right, after compiling information from different sources about what is the best water to drink, I'm still none the wiser.

The standard water like evian, volvic etc contains too much minerals and too expensive to be drinking 3 plus litres a day. Tap water is full of nasties including fluoride and when filtered all the good is gone out of it. I've been recommended a polish water which is affordable and apparently contains the correct composits such as 50mg od magnesium.

It sure is strange that there is so little info about something that is so important for human survival and which makes up 70 percent of us.

Step 1: Get a Britta Filter Jug thingy
    Step 2: Fill with tap water
    Step 3: Put it in the fridge
    Step 4: Savings

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I can sell you some water and it comes with a free tin-foil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rafakortez

about water...
    I always look for bottles without NO3 (Nitrate), high Ph and low sodium.
    It could help you to live longer.

In summary... Distilled is best/purest but you may need multi--vitamin--mineral supplement as distilled strips all/any impurities during the process.

If you can't afford a machine like that then a standard filter jug in the fridge is good, you will notice a chlorine free taste instantly

Avoid storing in or buying PET based plastics bottles, and be aware of various other pollutants that can affect water...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Richard Bruton was on TV3 news at 5:30pm saying the tap water here was as good as Ballygowan standards. A lot of people here will disagree with him,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Volvic is absolute pish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Aldi/Lidl water is the best on price and taste, that is the 5L bottles which are heavy by the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Tap water is surely best on price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

You'd be dead from water intoxication before any of the minerals in bottled water would effect your health.

Minerals in bottled 'mineral' water is fine, the PET in the bottles themselves may affect the 'quality' rather than the overall duration of your health though. Don't get the 'sparkling' version though of mineral water, even if it has fancy bubbles in it.

Heard collected rainwater isn't too pricey and generally charge free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Don't get the 'sparkling' version though of mineral water, even if it has fancy bubbles in it.

Why? It's delicious. :-(

The odd swill of champagne is harmless, but sparkling water is just water with carbon dioxide gas stuck in it, presumably for aesthetic/commercial purposes only.
    Not sure if your plants or pets or crops would entirely enjoy nor benefit from fizzy water on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Bling H2O to go with your apartment in bulgaria and 800k semi D in Kells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tap water is usually fine IMHO. Despite what some health nuts will tell you, your body isn't a delicate, finely-balanced ecosystem that will implode on you should you happen to ingest something that isn't perfectly nutritious and pure. Humans survived prehistory, the Middle Ages, and Victorian cities, so they can survive a small dose of halogens in their drinking water.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

The odd swill of champagne is harmless, but sparkling water is just water with carbon dioxide gas stuck in it, presumably for aesthetic/commercial purposes only.
    Not sure if your plants or pets or crops would entirely enjoy nor benefit from fizzy water on a daily basis.

Sparkling water is for me, not them! I don't drink soda, but it is nice to have something cold and fizzy when the weather is hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Recycled sewage water is the best, keep it green.

Green water is for agricultural use only! :mad:
    Youll be dipped yet. Or have your emissions tested by the more modern crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

So a 5ghz base - that can't be good to be bouncing around the place surely?

What basis do you have for this assumption? Maybe this is your logic: 5 is roughly twice as much as 2.4, and 2.4GHz is somehow "bad", therefore 5GHz must be roughly twice as bad?
    Official guidelines still exist for youngsters not to use mobile phones extensively

Official guidelines for what situation? Where can I read these "official guidelines"? What authority has published them?

The Conspiracy Theories forum is this way; I think you've taken a wrong turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I drink two liquids, coffee and wine. I tried plain water once, didn't like it.

"A limited use of mobile phones is recommended. This is due to the lack of sufficient scientific knowledge currently available about the subject."
    - HSE.ie

The IARC in 2011, classified mobile phone radiation as Group 2B - possibly carcinogenic.
    - UN Group: International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)

In 2000, WHO recommended that the 'precautionary principle' should be voluntarily adopted in the use of mobile phones
    - World Health Organization (WHO)

Ah sure everything is a conspiracy these days...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement