Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting while looking to buy

Options
  • 31-07-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

My partner and I have been looking at houses to rent while finding the "right" house to buy. Pretty much every house on daft is being let through an agent though with a minimum of a year's lease.
    Is this negotiable or do they generally only want to deal with 12 month+ leases? If you give enough notice can you leave early? We could well end up needing it for a full year but equally if we get lucky & get to buy in the near future we wouldn't.

Comments

It is usually acceptable to give one months notice for a tenancy under 6 months long, slightly longer (5 weeks iirc) for a tenancy over 6 months, the lease may state you lose your deposit for early termination.

The landlord can't insist you pay the full 12 months or anything along those lines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Augeo wrote: »
    The landlord can't insist you pay the full 12 months or anything along those lines :)

Great! I thought maybe they could. Thanks :-)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The landlord is entitled to the compensation for the out-of-pocket expenses for replacing you as a tenant, though in reality this usually means losing the deposit.

If you sign a lease you are legally obliged to complete the lease.

If you sign a lease you are legally obliged to complete the lease.

Not applicable to a residential lease.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Not applicable to a residential lease.

What makes you think that?

• Advertisement

Residential tenancies act :)
    May I ask why you think I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

If you sign a 12 month lease you are liable for 12 months of rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Patww79 wrote: »

Wrong. Unless you find someone to take over the lease from you that the landlord approves of then you can be held liable for the full term of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks seriously, if you're going to come in here and give advice can you please ensure it's correct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Eldarion wrote: »
    Wrong. Unless you find someone to take over the lease from you that the landlord approves of then you can be held liable for the full term of the lease.

I believe the tenant isn't actually required to find the replacement - otherwise, there'd be widespread cases of tenants landing the most yobbish replacements possible knowing full well that the landlord won't want them in their house.

However, I do believe the landlord can hold the tenant liable for rent until they find a suitable replacement - but they do have to prove that they made a reasonable effort to find a replacement as quickly as possible (I suppose a daft advert at rents that aren't above market rates should meet this criteria).

In reality, the landlord is likely to just withhold the deposit because they can usually find a replacement within the timeframe that the deposit would cover and the hassle involved in chasing a tenant up for the excess, if any, wouldn't be worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Patww79 wrote: »

This is just ridiculous. People genuinely have no idea how tenancy law works.

It's all there in black and white, citizens advice website has it in plain English...... Some laughable claims being thrown around as fact here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's all there in black and white, citizens advice website has it in plain English...... Some laughable claims being thrown around as fact here.

Could you give us some links, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Could you give us some links, perhaps?

In fairness, if you read http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html, it has a table of notice periods and then says
    If tenants have a fixed-term agreement or a lease, they are also subject to the terms of this agreement. This means they may lose their deposit if they leave before the term stated in the lease, even if they give the correct amount of notice.

I don't believe that it is true- if you terminate a fixed term lease, it is mt understanding that you are obliged to pay the remaining rent.. but this page appears to say differently.

That page is fact.... Some landlords like people to think differently.

I don't believe that it is true- if you terminate a fixed term lease, it is mt understanding that you are obliged to pay the remaining rent.. but this page appears to say differently.
    If tenants have a fixed-term agreement or a lease, they are also subject to the terms of this agreement. This means they may lose their deposit if they leave before the term stated in the lease, even if they give the correct amount of notice.

Ah, so this is where the confusion is coming from. Gonna make an attempt here as to why this means nothing of the sort.

If tenants have a fixed-term agreement or a lease, they are also subject to the terms of this agreement.

Everything after this line may as well be anecdotal and is simply trying to explain the bolded statement.
    This means they may lose their deposit if they leave before the term stated in the lease, even if they give the correct amount of notice.

That page is fact.... Some landlords like people to think differently.

Yes, the page is fact. Your interpretation of the page is what's flawed.

Eldarian, do you think one is to give the required notice and still be liable to pay rent to the amount of the remaining lease? No lease can rule over law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I think perhaps the word 'also' there confuses the matter. If it just said 'Tenants in a fixed-term agreement are subject to the notice periods laid out in that agreement' as a seperate paragraph, it would be clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eldarian, do you think one is to give the required notice and still be liable to pay rent to the amount of the remaining lease? No lease can rule over law.

The law handles the lease terms. You are wrong and are referencing documents thst confirm that you're wrong.

MYOB wrote: »
    The law handles the lease terms. You are wrong and are referencing documents thst confirm that you're wrong.

I can assure you I am not wrong, do you honestly think when tenants give notice they than pay up the lease as they vacate so the landlord can rent the place out again?

Many landlords never recoup rent that's owed to them legally, there is no legal obligation to pay rent to the lease when vacated, it's terribly simple but not common knowledge, most folks don't know their rights, as illustrated here by yourself and others.

I think perhaps the word 'also' there confuses the matter. If it just said 'Tenants in a fixed-term agreement are subject to the notice periods laid out in that agreement' as a seperate paragraph, it would be clearer.

Notice periods have no bearing on a lease. Notice only relates to terminating a tenancy. The notice period is determined by the length of tenancy.

Example: A tenant has been renting an apartment for 3 years.

Scenario 1: Tenant signs a year long lease at the beginning of his tenancy, after it elapses he remains in the property under Part 4 tenancy. 3 years and 6 months in he decides he wishes to terminate the tenancy, he now gives 56 days notice since he has been in the property longer than 2 years. He is liable for rent for this period of 56 days.

Scenario 2: Tenant signs a year long lease at the beginning of his tenancy, after it elapses he signs another year long lease at the beginning of year 2, and he does this again at the beginning of year 3. 3 years and 6 months in he decides he wishes to terminate the tenancy, he is still liable for rent for the remaining 6 months of the lease agreement. He can avoid this by reaching an agreement with the landlord to amicable break the lease, or he can find someone to take over the remainder of the lease for him.

I can assure you I am not wrong, do you honestly think when tenants give notice they than pay up the lease as they vacate so the landlord can rent the place out again?

Many landlords never recoup rent that's owed to them legally, there is no legal obligation to pay rent to the lease when vacated, it's terribly simple but not common knowledge, most folks don't know their rights, as illustrated here by yourself and others.

You can keep saying that but it doesn't change reality - you are entirely wrong here. You even linked to documents confirming that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

What tenants do and what they are supposed to do are completely different. Tenants are not supposed to use their deposit as their last month rent - it's illegal, yet they do. Landlords are not supposed to withhold deposits without valid reason, yet it happens. Landlords are not supposed to illegal evict tenants - yet it happens. Tenants are not supposed to stop paying rent and remain in the property - but it happens. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Just because people do something doesn't mean it is either legal or right.

A fixed term lease is just that, the tenants must adhere to the terms of it for the duration of the lease. However, they can re-assign it and find new tenants, they can sub-let with the landlords permission or they can come to an agreement with the landlord to end the tenancy early - once it is a mutually agreed event. They cannot just up sticks and leave with a months notice and 99% of fixed term leases do not have a break clause anyway to allow for a notice period to be given to terminate early.

Now, I'd please urge you to stop posting nonsense.

Absolutely laughable gents, I feel sorry for the OP as they well think ye are correct.

Absolutely laughable gents, I feel sorry for the OP as they well think ye are correct.

We are. You are giving dangerous inaccurate advice

Nothing in a lease over rules the law, you are legally entitled to give notice and leave. Any tenancy over 6 months is a part 4 tenancy.

Nothing in a lease over rules the law, you are legally entitled to give notice and leave. Any tenancy over 6 months is a part 4 tenancy.

This is untrue. Please provide an actual source for where you've got this notion from.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    This is untrue. Please provide an actual source for where you've got this notion from.

It has already been provided by another poster. I suggest you read it, carefully and thoroughly.

Advertisement