Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg stretches for DL & Squat

• 31-07-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

I've noticed I've got some difficulty with the DL & squat. I'm attributing these partially to improper stretching prior to exercise and cycling.

I try to stretch out my hamstrings and hips, but it is not getting me to where I think I need to be. I know my adductors are quite weak and I'm trying to build them up.

What forms of stretching are easily done for hams/hips/abductors/adductors?

I'm looking for something I can do at home Work as well as as gym warm up.

Tonight Iw as trying to do DL, but my hams & hips would not allow me to sink low enough to start in a correct position.

Any advice/links appreciated.

Comments

I've been doing this before each lower day for the past couple of weeks and have noticed huge improvements:

I roll my hamstrings, calves and the soles of my feet with a rubber ball too, as well as statically stretching my calves and hamstrings—either by doing some light good mornings or holding a 20kg plate and leaning over. Takes about 30 minutes but 'tis fairly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah a good roller really helps.

Also have to tried warming up with bridging or other forms of hip extensions? Helps me get that extra inch or two going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I find at the end of a warm up sitting in the bottom of a squat with a lightish weight for 30- 60 second sets to be quite good for improving your range of motion.
    Plus it's got a very clear carry over to actual squatting which is no harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

My warm up and cool down are low as possible squats with approx bodyweight on the bar.

I do calf stretches between each set of calf raises. Prior to squatting I try to stretch out my hamstrings and hips using:
    458_a3.jpg
    hamstrings_resized.jpg

I am trying to build up my adductors & abductors as well.

I 'try' at work to do a series of unweighted squats in order to stretch out the hips and stay in the low position in order to concentrate the stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are those pictures from a Robocop montage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement