Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork v Tipperary AI Semi Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Rightwing wrote: »
    I've no intention to put the boot into Cork. I'm sorry it turned out the way it did.

But today is Tipp's day, and they will trouble KK. No question about that.

Tipp arent good enough to beat KK eventhough they hammered Cork today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Digitalism wrote: »
    Probably jealous and bitter about the success that Cody has had and how hes so respected, and how he will go down in history as the greatest hurling manager if all time.

You just have to admire and respect Cody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

its typical of bitter losers to find fault with managers and players of other teams who are more successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Amprodude wrote: »
    Well Limerick were just as pathetic as Cork this time last year.

What releveance do Limerick have to today?.. I think you cant go 5 posts without having a go at them, becoming kind of sad by now in all honesty..

Back OT, does the 5 week gap after munster to the semi need to changed, somehow?..

Winning the Munster seems more of a hindrance than a boost

Do you mention limerick in every post you make?

Well Rightwing is a Limerick supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Serious tactical failure by the Cork management today, they had no Plan B.... hit the ball straight down on top of the Tipp defence and hope your forwards will get some breaks isn't a great plan. Tipp dropped their half-back a lot deeper than Limerick had against Cork, and Lehane/Harnedy/Cadogan weren't able to use their pace and running ability to the same effect... Tipp cleaned up in that area.

It's not as if Tipp were that great either, but their backs were on top, their midfield won the battle and as the game opened up, they took their scores. Cork had no backup plan, and the management have to take the blame for that. Obviously some of their players seriously under-performed and made bad decisions too- very reminiscent of Limerick this time last year.

Two serious goals by Callanan, top class finishes. But they'll still need to seriously up their game to beat KK... I don't think either Lar or Noel McGrath were great today, and Bonner Maher was wasteful in possession too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well Rightwing is a Limerick supporter.

That answers my question.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    What releveance do Limerick have to today?.. I think you cant go 5 posts without having a go at them, becoming kind of sad by now in all honesty..

Back OT, does the 5 week gap after munster to the semi need to changed, somehow?..

Winning the Munster seems more of a hindrance than a boost

No, it doesn't imo. Tipp & KK are the 2 best in the country, League final this year, Cork won a munster this year for the first time in 8 years, Limk the year before for the first time in 16 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No, it doesn't imo. Tipp & KK are the 2 best in the country, League final this year, Cork won a munster this year for the first time in 8 years, Limk the year before for the first time in 16 years.

Tipp and KK fully deserve the final alright..

Just think the 5 week seems a little excessive is all.. Like.if tipp had won the munster, would they have been as sharp, or did the shorter layoff aid them on the day?

(Again to clarity, not saying cork shoulda won today.. Tipp fully deserved it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Cork were awful. You kept waiting for them to make some kind of kick but they just never got going, the short puck out for Tipp worked perfectly and Cork never made any effort to negate it. This provided Tipp with plenty of supply to the forward line.

From a Cork viewpoint, how Bill Cooper was left there until half time never mind the full 70 minutes is beyond me. Their tactics were woefully poor. The forward line completely lost its shape and they looked a beaten team from miles out.

Cork weren't convincing against Waterford the first day or the Munster Final but really expected much more of them.

Tipp have built a head of steam now. Seeing them against Galway in the qualifiers I thought there was no hope for them but they got a couple of handy draws after that and have worked their way back.

Tipp v KK is fascinating, the Tipp backline has improved significantly as the year has progressed and their forwards will definitely give KK plenty to think about.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Tipp and KK fully deserve the final alright..

Just think the 5 week seems a little excessive is all.. Like.if tipp had won the munster, would they have been as sharp, or did the shorter layoff aid them on the day?

(Again to clarity, not saying cork shoulda won today.. Tipp fully deserved it)

If you go back to '09, '11 Tipp and KK were winning provincial and making the final.
    Munster is vey competitive, and 4 of the teams can easily win it.

Who do we think was MotM?

Obviously Callanan was a standout player because he scored 2 cracking goals.

I personally reckon that Tipp won because of their backline- Brendan Maher, Cathal Barrett & Paudie Maher were all excellent.

Both midfielders were superb, and Bubbles was knocking over points for fun. Don't think there was one player clearly better than the rest... I think Callanan will get it for the goals, but I might have given it to Brendan Maher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Who do we think was MotM?

Obviously Callanan was a standout player because he scored 2 cracking goals.

I personally reckon that Tipp won because of their backline- Brendan Maher, Cathal Barrett & Paudie Maher were all excellent.

Both midfielders were superb, and Bubbles was knocking over points for fun. Don't think there was one player clearly better than the rest... I think Callanan will get it for the goals, but I might have given it to Brendan Maher.

Paudi Maher already got it, interviewed on radio after his man of the match interview and they said it. Right call in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ignorant etc.

This Cody hating is ridiculous and the haters just look silly. He's hated for no other reason than because he's successful. Grow a pair for goodness sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

sean mac wrote: »
    Tipp have the weakest midfield of the four semi finalist - weakest by a good but. Tipp also have a very weak keeper as highlighted by donal og in his article this week. If cahill is out a huge loss, cork will win this match by 3-5 points as they have a far more settled team, far superior midfield, far superior keeper and better forwards. And despite having an appalling underage record over the last 15 years will end up winning this all Ireland, proving once again in hurling in particular tradition trumps underage development every time

Looks like you couldn't have been more wrong Sean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I thought that Cork would come out in 2nd half with fire in their bellies but it was worse they were. Tipp humiliated them and can enjoy the bragging rights. Cork seemed overtrained as they were physically listless and not mentally tuned in to the game. Tipp go into the final with high expectations which will suit Kilkenny down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

On the way back from this. Tipp full value for the win and have plenty to improve on. Lar played his worst game in years, he had the management on the pitch talking to him about 6 times. Noel McGrath poor too. It wasn't until Bonnar was moved to the full forward line that Tipp began to really pull away. Looks like they found the solution to fullback in Barry, for now anyway.

Just like before this game, everyone already saying Tipp will be losing v Kilkenny. It'll be 50/50, Tipp have loads to improve on so won't overestimate themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

[Another disappointing game today. Have to say I'm struggling to think of a worse championship than this one for the quality of hurling. Sure, Tipp done the business today, but Cork were shocking. Hope to christ the tide turns on the 7th Sept, and we get at least one decent game from this mediocre season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

JBM must go after this.

I understand the frustration after a performance like the one today but I wouldn't be so quick to throw JBM under the bus.

He took an average enough team to the verge of winning the AI last year, beating Kilkenny in the process and only some generous time management from the ref cost them a win.

This year they won promotion, won the Munster championship, as well as introducing a few new players.

Today was bad but I still think JBM is the best man for Cork and every chance he could deliver another All Ireland in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ignorant etc.

I agree. Think JBM is doing a good job tbh. Its a long time since Cork won an AI and before last year a good while since they last got to a final. If he was the manager of anyone but the big three this season would be viewed as an excellent one so an over-reaction wouldn't seem to be the order of the day.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I understand the frustration after a performance like the one today but I wouldn't be so quick to throw JBM under the bus.

He took an average enough team to the verge of winning the AI last year, beating Kilkenny in the process and only some generous time management from the ref cost them a win.

This year they won promotion, won the Munster championship, as well as introducing a few new players.

Today was bad but I still think JBM is the best man for Cork and every chance he could deliver another All Ireland in the next few years.

Would be foolish to blame JBM. A very average waterford team had them on the ropes but couldn't finish them. LK too had chances to be well ahead. I said earlier on in this thread, keep Horgan quiet and you have basically have beaten Cork. They need more forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Well Limerick were just as pathetic as Cork this time last year.

And we all know what "Cork are Cork" means now. No heart.

slegs wrote: »
    And we all know what "Cork are Cork" means now. No heart.

Too many good Cork contributors here to be engaging in that stuff. Let well enough alone. Today was about Tipp as far as I'm concerned. And if they play to their potential they'll also beat KK.

Too many good Cork contributors here to be engaging in that stuff. Let well enough alone. Today was about Tipp as far as I'm concerned. And if they play to their potential they'll also beat KK.

Only addressing the clown who made it his mission to have a go at Limerick as soon as they got over the MF. Became a big man all of a sudden after they won with all sorts of wild statements.

I also predicted a Tipp win and that if Horgan was held Cork didn't have enough else up front to trouble Tipp. Cork won a home MF and struggled to beat the weakest Munster team this year. They have been overrated from the get go.

I think Tipp will beat Kilkenny too.

Only addressing the clown who made it his mission to have a go at Limerick as soon as they got over the MF. Became a big man all of a sudden after they won with all sorts of wild statements.

I also predicted a Tipp win and that if Horgan was held Cork didn't have enough else up front to trouble Tipp. Cork won a home MF and struggled to beat the weakest Munster team this year. They have been overrated from the get go.

Good analysis there, Cork on their day play a nice brand of hurling though.

Good analysis there, Cork on their day play a nice brand of hurling though.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I'm a corkmanbut now I hope to god tipp win, can't bear that Cody ****. I think the whole country would agree with me
    I doubt if any true hurling fan would share that view.

Brian Cody has done more for hurling than anyone I know. As a school teacher he managed/trained the St Patrick's De La Salle under 12 team for years.
    He has never taken a penny for managing Kilkenny.
    He gets up to Laois,Carlow,across to Wexford p, up to Cushendall giving free coaching lessons and giving out medals.
    He never takes a penny of r doing that.
    He gave all of the earnings from his autobiography to his club, James Stephens, the Village.
    He still attends as many under age matches giving encouragement to young kids.
    He has always been gracious in defeat. Ask the teams who beat him in a final.

Davie Fitz asked his Dad for a ticket behind Cody to watch him in the 2012 final.

He is respected by all his peers.

You may be from Cork and hurt after your loss today. Commisserations. But your comment is completely out of order and I hope doesn't reflect the attitude in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Don't mind any langer who has a bad word to say about Cody - he's the greatest, end of.

Do you think fellas like Cronin would keep their place match after match without performing on one of Cody's team? Not a hope.

To be honest with you, I think Tipp were brilliant today. I tend not to be very easily convinced on that score and maybe cynical when teams get a hammering but they got it right all over the fiel.

The puckouts as Donal Og pointed out were excellent. He spoke of the tactical side to it but for me the execution from Darren Gleeson was brilliant. That trajectory is very hard to pull off, but when you get it right it allows your players so much time to pick out their men. People mentioned short puck outs, but I wouldn't consider finding your man on the halfway line (which he managed a couple of times) as short.

Confidence was a big problem for Tipp last year and the early part of this year. They struggled badly in the league and it only turned when they got that luck against Dublin and kicked on. Again they started bad in the championship but ultimately they have gained momentum similar to 2010, and once again hammered the Munster Champions.

Midfield was a key area where we said there was potential weakness. I think Cork's conservative tactics played into their hands there. Daniel Kearney was brought back to cover in front of Ellis who was being asked to sit a bit deeper to help out O'Neill who obviously had the big height disadvantage v Callanan that I mentioned on Friday. This meant that the impetus was with McGrath an Woodlock who both like to drive forward, and showed today are well capable of taking thei scores.

Shane McGrath typified what was good about Tipp today. His form has been very poor since 2012 up until the Dublin game. He was made captain last year to help with that but didn't work out. I remember as early as when Waterford bet Tipp in the league last year noticing one trait of his play that I didn't like. When a ball was played to him low, he'd rise and double on it over his shoulder without looking.

Looks a great skill, but you don't know where you're putting the ball. Never seen Brick dominate a game as much as he did that day and that's been a theme with him ever since until today. His use of the ball was brilliant, few highlighted even in the Sunday game clips their with the ball to Noel McGrath for his second half score, his ball across the goal that eventually came to Callanan for the first. Plenty of examples through out the came.

And in general Tipp's use of the ball was super. They obviously had a target of high ball into Callanan on O'Neill and tried it a lot in the first half. I actually thought Cork defended pretty well, and dropping back numbers worked well for them in terms of stopping Tipp goals. Bar that early mistake, I thought O Neill did brilliantly on Callanan in terms of the job he was require to do. Not convinced he's a full back but he is an outstanding defender.

The problem though then was Cork lost the drive they had from midfield before, and they hadn't the option really of playing the overlap and working the ball to midfield to find space in front of the forwards. When you get the ball at wing back and a man chasing you, it's very hard to pick out a fast ball in front of your forward.

Tipp had a lot of class. Cahalane had too much time not to clear it, but Bubbles showed great tenacity to block, and then no sooner than he had it in his hand he showed a flick of the wrist and straight over the bar. Great score. Callanan's two goals ere exceptional. Gearoid Ryan hasn't been mentioned but he was all over the place and again played good smart hurling.

The backline was outstanding. Paudie Maher had his best game in 2 years and showed that he is a wing back and nothing else. Barry did his job very well. The corner backs were very good. And this is without Michael Cahill, who is one of the top 3 corner backs in the Country.

Surprised by the margin, but thought Tipp would win. On reflection I don't think it should be a surprise at all. Tipp's spine was Barry, B Maher, Patrick Maher, Callanan. Compare that too O'Neill, Ellis, Cooper and Cronin. Once they just broke even in midfield they were winning that game.

I think it was a great display and don't understand any talk of Kilkenny having this sewn up now. Consider this...if that was Kilkenny who did that to Cork today, nobody would give the opposition any chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

thefloss wrote: »
    Don't mind any langer who has a bad word to say about Cody - he's the greatest, end of.

Do you think fellas like Cronin would keep their place match after match without performing on one of Cody's team? Not a hope.

What exactly has Mark Kelly done for Kilkenny this year?

• Advertisement

To be honest with you, I think Tipp were brilliant today. I tend not to be very easily convinced on that score and maybe cynical when teams get a hammering but they got it right all over the fiel.

The puckouts as Donal Og pointed out were excellent. He spoke of the tactical side to it but for me the execution from Darren Gleeson was brilliant. That trajectory is very hard to pull off, but when you get it right it allows your players so much time to pick out their men. People mentioned short puck outs, but I wouldn't consider finding your man on the halfway line (which he managed a couple of times) as short.

Confidence was a big problem for Tipp last year and the early part of this year. They struggled badly in the league and it only turned when they got that luck against Dublin and kicked on. Again they started bad in the championship but ultimately they have gained momentum similar to 2010, and once again hammered the Munster Champions.

Midfield was a key area where we said there was potential weakness. I think Cork's conservative tactics played into their hands there. Daniel Kearney was brought back to cover in front of Ellis who was being asked to sit a bit deeper to help out O'Neill who obviously had the big height disadvantage v Callanan that I mentioned on Friday. This meant that the impetus was with McGrath an Woodlock who both like to drive forward, and showed today are well capable of taking thei scores.

Shane McGrath typified what was good about Tipp today. His form has been very poor since 2012 up until the Dublin game. He was made captain last year to help with that but didn't work out. I remember as early as when Waterford bet Tipp in the league last year noticing one trait of his play that I didn't like. When a ball was played to him low, he'd rise and double on it over his shoulder without looking.

Looks a great skill, but you don't know where you're putting the ball. Never seen Brick dominate a game as much as he did that day and that's been a theme with him ever since until today. His use of the ball was brilliant, few highlighted even in the Sunday game clips their with the ball to Noel McGrath for his second half score, his ball across the goal that eventually came to Callanan for the first. Plenty of examples through out the came.

And in general Tipp's use of the ball was super. They obviously had a target of high ball into Callanan on O'Neill and tried it a lot in the first half. I actually thought Cork defended pretty well, and dropping back numbers worked well for them in terms of stopping Tipp goals. Bar that early mistake, I thought O Neill did brilliantly on Callanan in terms of the job he was require to do. Not convinced he's a full back but he is an outstanding defender.

The problem though then was Cork lost the drive they had from midfield before, and they hadn't the option really of playing the overlap and working the ball to midfield to find space in front of the forwards. When you get the ball at wing back and a man chasing you, it's very hard to pick out a fast ball in front of your forward.

Tipp had a lot of class. Cahalane had too much time not to clear it, but Bubbles showed great tenacity to block, and then no sooner than he had it in his hand he showed a flick of the wrist and straight over the bar. Great score. Callanan's two goals ere exceptional. Gearoid Ryan hasn't been mentioned but he was all over the place and again played good smart hurling.

The backline was outstanding. Paudie Maher had his best game in 2 years and showed that he is a wing back and nothing else. Barry did his job very well. The corner backs were very good. And this is without Michael Cahill, who is one of the top 3 corner backs in the Country.

Surprised by the margin, but thought Tipp would win. On reflection I don't think it should be a surprise at all. Tipp's spine was Barry, B Maher, Patrick Maher, Callanan. Compare that too O'Neill, Ellis, Cooper and Cronin. Once they just broke even in midfield they were winning that game.

I think it was a great display and don't understand any talk of Kilkenny having this sewn up now. Consider this...if that was Kilkenny who did that to Cork today, nobody would give the opposition any chance.

I don't know if I would call Tipp's display brilliant. I suppose they could only beat what was put in front of them, and they've done well to reach the final after everyone wrote them off after losing to Limerick, but Cork really under-performed and were tactically clueless tbh. But one thing that is going for Tipp is a lot of people questioned their bottle, etc. but they definitely showed that... players like Shane McGrath in particular & Callanan turned up and got 2 great goals.

But I wasn't impressed by either team in the first half, I thought both teams played some really poor, aimless hurling. How many balls were rained down on top of Callanan that he didn't win, that were easily swept up. They were by far the better team in the 1st half but went in only 2 points up. Obviously they drove on in the 2nd half and were excellent when they started taking Cork apart, but they'll need to be a lot better to beat KK.

The puck-outs were great, the backs were hugely dominant... but Tipp have always had some very good backs. Even last year, it wasn't their backs that let them down... they have had some problems solving the spine of their defence, but Barry looks like he could be the answer at 3. Their half-back line dominated, but were helped by Cork's poor play... like Limerick vs Clare last year, they made heroes out of them.

The step-up from their midfield was definitely the biggest achievement, Woodlock & McGrath were excellent. Walsh & Kearney both had super years so far, but they were thoroughly outplayed today and that was surprising, I thought that would be where Cork would win the game. But neither of them were up to par, and Tipp won so much ball in that area... they obviously learned from their mistakes in that area, and Woodlock is a big player for them.

But Lar was poor, Noel McGrath was poor... I can't believe they both stayed on so long. Basic errors from both of them. Callanan was obviously good, and that was a big boost.. Bubbles is a serious finisher, great at picking up space, which I suppose is what you need. Nobody isn't going to complain when he's scoring at the rate he is, but his work rate isn't quite at the level of Bonner or Gar Ryan.

KK aren't an all-conquering team themselves, I suppose, they aren't at the level they used to be at... they did what they had to against Limerick, but didn't win comprehensively. But I still think Tipp will need to be a lot better... KK are tough.

JJ won't make the same mistakes O'Neill did for Callanan. KK are able to mix it up better in their forwards... the two Fennellys are tough men to mark. I think we all remember Michael Fennelly destroying Paudie Maher at centre-back in the league final a couple of years back. Woodlock & McGrath will need another huge game. It'll be interesting, but I'd still be tipping KK atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

junospider wrote: »
    Cant see cork beaten today,tipp are soft.

Ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Can anyone tell me who else was short listed for man of the match with Padraig maher tonight on Sunday game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

mjp wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who else was short listed for man of the match with Padraig maher tonight on Sunday game?

Seamus Callanan and John O Dwyer

mjp wrote: »

S Callanan. I'd have given it to Callanan. Destroyed Cork.

Fireball07 wrote: »

But I wasn't impressed by either team in the first half, I thought both teams played some really poor, aimless hurling. How many balls were rained down on top of Callanan that he didn't win, that were easily swept up. They were by far the better team in the 1st half but went in only 2 points up. Obviously they drove on in the 2nd half and were excellent when they started taking Cork apart, but they'll need to be a lot better to beat KK.

The puck-outs were great, the backs were hugely dominant... but Tipp have always had some very good backs. Even last year, it wasn't their backs that let them down... they have had some problems solving the spine of their defence, but Barry looks like he could be the answer at 3. Their half-back line dominated, but were helped by Cork's poor play... like Limerick vs Clare last year, they made heroes out of them.

But Lar was poor, Noel McGrath was poor... I can't believe they both stayed on so long. Basic errors from both of them. Callanan was obviously good, and that was a big boost.. Bubbles is a serious finisher, great at picking up space, which I suppose is what you need. Nobody isn't going to complain when he's scoring at the rate he is, but his work rate isn't quite at the level of Bonner or Gar Ryan.

KK aren't an all-conquering team themselves, I suppose, they aren't at the level they used to be at... they did what they had to against Limerick, but didn't win comprehensively. But I still think Tipp will need to be a lot better... KK are tough.

JJ won't make the same mistakes O'Neill did for Callanan. KK are able to mix it up better in their forwards... the two Fennellys are tough men to mark. I think we all remember Michael Fennelly destroying Paudie Maher at centre-back in the league final a couple of years back. Woodlock & McGrath will need another huge game. It'll be interesting, but I'd still be tipping KK atm.

The ball to Callanan wasn't aimless though. They fancied his height against O'Neill and they were right too. But Cork were setup to protect that, even though in the end it meant they lost what their drive that they needed badly from midfield.

I agree on Corbett and Callanan. I'd add Bergin as well. That's three out of 15, the rest nearly all had very good games. I think that's very impressive personally. As anyone would say, room for improvement and a great win and performance. What more could you ask for?

I also think you need to consider horse for courses. Cork were well setup to defend today and did so very well for practically the whole game. The fact they kept it to 2-17 in the circumstances was good going. Tipp's high ball tactic wasn't as fruitful as it would have been because of it. Kilkenny will go man for man and you can be certain that they won't lampoon balls down on top of JJ. They aren't fools.

Paudie Maher won't be center back. Michael Fennelly is a great player and important for KK, Colin Fennelly very capable. I know the conditions weren't geared for forward lines, but outside of those two I wasn't that impressed. Paudie Walsh is a good hurler so would forgive him that, but TJ Reid hasn't been that impressive for two games (admittedly Hickey is class). Larkin has lost the pace he had and I think it' a significant reason why Kilkenny don't goal as often, even if he has two this year.

Richie Power was the difference the last day and he will start and add more the next day I'd imagine, but it weakens the options from the bench. Kelly has little in my view, and Shefflin is past it. Compare it to 3 years ago, Brennan and Shefflin were superb and Richie Hogan was inside in the corner and scored that goal.

Hogan is class and the key to Kilkenny with them playing a passing game at the moment. The tactical game will be very interesting for this. I'll reserve judgement on a verdict for the minute, I just think Tipp to be fair didn't get much credit before today and if they had lost today fair enough. From my point of view, they couldn't really have been much more impressive in many areas and my response was more aimed at a lot of comments earlier seeing the final as a foregone conclusion.

In fairness to the Kilkenny fans, they seem to be expecting a tight game which I think it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

S Callanan. I'd have given it to Callanan. Destroyed Cork.

Paudie maher had his best ever game for Tipp. Most influential player on the pitch despite the class of seamie. Well deserved motm

The ball to Callanan wasn't aimless though. They fancied his height against O'Neill and they were right too. But Cork were setup to protect that, even though in the end it meant they lost what their drive that they needed badly from midfield.

I agree on Corbett and Callanan. I'd add Bergin as well. That's three out of 15, the rest nearly all had very good games. I think that's very impressive personally. As anyone would say, room for improvement and a great win and performance. What more could you ask for?

I also think you need to consider horse for courses. Cork were well setup to defend today and did so very well for practically the whole game. The fact they kept it to 2-17 in the circumstances was good going. Tipp's high ball tactic wasn't as fruitful as it would have been because of it. Kilkenny will go man for man and you can be certain that they won't lampoon balls down on top of JJ. They aren't fools.

In fairness to the Kilkenny fans, they seem to be expecting a tight game which I think it should be.

2-17 is quite a lot to concede from play, and Tipp missed a few goal chances. I thought the ref was generous to Cork. The high ball in to Callanan caused absolute havoc.

Big man now aren't you. I said Limerick we overrated and rightly so and you got defensive. We still have MF in the bag and yes we destroyed Limerick in the process.

Back to the game, I felt Cork looked overtrained today and their first touch was terrible something you wouldn't associate with Cork teams at this stage of championship. Walsh along with Cahalane must decide which code they are playing next year. This duel sport thing has to end tonight with Cork. Players can't do both. Walsh was a disgrace today and he is a better hurler than footballer.

And btw don't underestimate KK for a second, or they will destroy any team that don't respect them, I think they could very well beat Tipp in final.

• Advertisement

2-17 is quite a lot to concede from play, and Tipp missed a few goal chances. I thought the ref was generous to Cork. The high ball in to Callanan caused absolute havoc.

It was 2-16 from play I think, and it would be but it's the total score that counts not what they score from play. If they had another ten frees on top that would be really bad. I agree, maybe 4 bad decisions. But considering how bad their forwards were I would say the backs did well, though the wing backs were poor.

I think he'd have had a hat trick inside ten minutes if they weren't setup as they were, that's more my point than anything else.

It was 2-16 from play I think, and it would be but it's the total score that counts not what they score from play. If they had another ten frees on top that would be really bad. I agree, maybe 4 bad decisions. But considering how bad their forwards were I would say the backs did well, though the wing backs were poor.

I think he'd have had a hat trick inside ten minutes if they weren't setup as they were, that's more my point than anything else.

I see what you mean. I'm not sure Cork got it right though.

Corbett was nothing short of a disaster. Few times I've seen him now & he is living on reputation, missed an absolute sitter that would have killed the game. Bit like Shefflin, sentiment could cost either team the AI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Cusack managed to contradict himself a few times on the Sunday Game. He started by praising Gleesson to the hilt for his puck outs. He then went on to demonstrate where Cork went wrong in not challenging those puck outs. He then said it was the best display of puck outs he had ever seen. Only to show how Kilkenny counteract it.

Tipp had it their own way all over the pitch today, including their puck outs. What that tells you is that they were not been pressurised. There was something like five points from frees today. That suggests to me that there was very little intensity or aggression. Not even mentioned on the Sunday Game.

Cork hurling has been in trouble for over ten years now. While they were concentrating on in fighting back in the noughties their underage structures was been neglected. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to observe the failure in the Cork system over the last number of years. We often referred on this site the fact that they have not won minor, under 21, colleges, club etc for years. It seems to be news to Cusack tonight!

Just last year the media were proclaiming how the Fitzgibbon hurling was acting as a breeding ground for Cork. That is most likely very true but obviously not a breeding ground to be overly dependent on. You must have proper structures for underage within your own county.

Also last year much was made of Division 1B and how it didn't matter whether or not a team was operating in 1A. Tipp and Kilkenny contested the League Final this year and will now meet again in the AI Final. Perhaps last year was misleading!

Grats wrote: »
    Cusack managed to contradict himself a few times on the Sunday Game. He started by praising Gleesson to the hilt for his puck outs. He then went on to demonstrate where Cork went wrong in not challenging those puck outs. He then said it was the best display of puck outs he had ever seen. Only to show how Kilkenny counteract it.

Tipp had it their own way all over the pitch today, including their puck outs. What that tells you is that they were not been pressurised. There was something like five points from frees today. That suggests to me that there was very little intensity or aggression. Not even mentioned on the Sunday Game.

Cork hurling has been in trouble for over ten years now. While they were concentrating on in fighting back in the noughties their underage structures was been neglected. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to observe the failure in the Cork system over the last number of years. We often referred on this site the fact that they have not won minor, under 21, colleges, club etc for years. It seems to be news to Cusack tonight!

Just last year the media were proclaiming how the Fitzgibbon hurling was acting as a breeding ground for Cork. That is most likely very true but obviously not a breeding ground to be overly dependent on. You must have proper structures for underage within your own county.

Also last year much was made of Division 1B and how it didn't matter whether or not a team was operating in 1A. Tipp and Kilkenny contested the League Final this year and will not meet again in the AI Final. Perhaps last year was misleading!

No he didn't. The goalie's aim was spectacular. BUT...
    My big worry for Tipp would be these short puck outs. I couldn't believe how naive Cork were. KK will be in on top of them in a flash and smash a few goals in.

Rest of your post is spot on.

Also last year much was made of Division 1B and how it didn't matter whether or not a team was operating in 1A. Tipp and Kilkenny contested the League Final this year and will now meet again in the AI Final. Perhaps last year was misleading!

How did he contradict himself? He made to points in conjunction, while being very aware of both.

It didn't stop them beating Kilkenny last year, that all-ireland does count by the way (not saying all i great in Cork just didn't hear you stating all this matter of factly before the game). And Donal Og is acutely aware more than youself of the problems, he even referenced they haven't won an u21 title since 98. But when a team is winning, you don't come in and start being negative. He'd look very bitter and not be taken seriously. What's your axe to grind with him? He's very insighftul.

I think it's important for young players to develop in 1A, it's optimal. But at the same time not the be all and end all. When you look at competitive championship teams, there's only 3 in 1B and 6 in 1A. So the fact that two from 1B made the semis would certainly hint that it doesn't seem to be a massive factor.

Perhaps I didn't explain Cusack contradicting himself clearly enough.

How can he on the one hand praise Gleesson so highly and then show it worked only because Cork weren't pressuring Tipp. Every goalkeeper tries their best to get the perfect puckout. It seldom works consistently if the opposition is on the ball. Cork weren't on the ball today.

My reference to Div 1A is simply on account of the euphoria over the subject of 1B last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Yeah cork bet KK but where are KK now? Cork got lucky last year and were
    Exposed today and made look second rate dual player issue aside,can whinge
    Bout last year but are as far off from an A1 as they were in 09/10

No he didn't. The goalie's aim was spectacular. BUT...
    My big worry for Tipp would be these short puck outs. I couldn't believe how naive Cork were. KK will be in on top of them in a flash and smash a few goals in.

Rest of your post is spot on.

Most goalies aim would be spectacular if the opposition is zero!

Perhaps I didn't explain Cusack contradicting himself clearly enough.

How can he on the one hand himself over Gleesson and then show it worked only because Cork weren't pressuring Tipp. Every goalkeeper tries their best to get the perfect puckout. It seldom works consistently if the opposition is on the ball. Cork weren't on the ball today.

My reference to Div 1A is simply on account of the euphoria over the subject of 1B last year.

In a way you are right. That strategy wouldn't work against an intelligent team. Cork were like dummies, so it worked a treat. That was Cusack's point. Gleeson executed it very well against hopeless opposition.

As for the league, I don't think it matters much. 5 games is more a round robin that a league.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Most goalies aim would be spectacular if the opposition is zero!

Low trajectory, pin point accuracy to players often on the half way line. No contradiction to praise the brilliance of any player's play while at the same time showing how the opposition should try to deal with it.

And of course, KK will be sharp to it next day. Teams can only play what's in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Pudders wrote: »

I hope doesn't reflect the attitude in Cork.

There was a queue of Cork and Limerick lads looking for autographs and selfies from him at the munster final. Also a lot of people going up and shaking his hand and wishing him well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement