Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better? NAS Setup.

Options
  • 31-07-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

So ive bought a XBMC box to connect to my TV.
    Now i'm thinking of investing in some NAS.

Nothing to major, just something cheap to make my files available over the local network.

All i will be doing is storing Movies, Music, Photos and maybe some random text files etc.
    I would like to use XBMC and have the NAS store my media collection.
    But i would also like these files accessible to all other laptops/phones in the house, to update them, and to copy new files from the laptop to the NAS etc.

So i cant choose between either here :

The WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage - NAS for £101.

Or the D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure in which i would have to purchase my own hard drives.

I would like the NAS to appear as a folder in finder on my Mac, is that possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bernard McGinley

I'd spend the extra for a qnap/synology/thecus(others?) with app support. I've shutdown my old home server now and run nearly everything off the nas directly.

yes, will appear as a folder in the mac, under devices or shared depending on the box. Mine shows up under devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I agree with Bernard. The advantage of a better NAS being that you can run Plex server, Sabnzbd, Couchpotato, Sickbeard, NzbDrone, Headphones and utorrent on them. If you don't know what they are Google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bernard McGinley

There are tons more, sorry still too new to post links

www. synology. com/en-uk/dsm/app_packages/all_app

www. qnap. com/i/useng/app_center/index.php?top_place=1&for_qts4=1&hf=old

www. thecus. com/sp_app_center.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Also worth considering ASUSTOR.
    Similar offering to QNAP and Synology but cheaper for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭mcw92

I agree with Bernard. The advantage of a better NAS being that you can run Plex server, Sabnzbd, Couchpotato, Sickbeard, NzbDrone, Headphones and utorrent on them. If you don't know what they are Google them.

Im aware of all the App support alright but it is of no use to me tbh really.
    I am only really looking for Network Attached Storage only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement