Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Hikes

Options
  • 31-07-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any recommended hikes to do in Leinster? Have done a number of hikes around Wicklow mountains - glendalough, lug, djouce, wicklow gap.

Was thinking the Cooleys? Or anywhere else to try?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Slieve blooms - you've just missed a month-long festival of walks, but the hills are still there! Pretty nice area too, and usually a bit quieter than some of the other ranges (in my limited experience).
    http://www.slievebloom.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

+ 1 for the Slieve Blooms and only an hour and a half by car from West Dublin. I usually exit at J15 Emo and drive on to Rosenallis or Clonaslee. Some good walks from these places.

There is also great walking in the robertstown-kilmeague area if you like quiet flat canals and waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

dogmatix wrote: »
    + 1 for the Slieve Blooms and only an hour and a half by car from West Dublin. I usually exit at J15 Emo and drive on to Rosenallis or Clonaslee. Some good walks from these places.

There is also great walking in the robertstown-kilmeague area if you like quiet flat canals and waterways.

How are they for camping in these areas? I'm used to wild camping in and out of Ireland but know how it can be over here. Taking my nephew out for 2 nights next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'd imagine it would be easier to wild-camp in the Slieve Blooms then Wicklow - they are quieter and less likely to be bothered by skangers then in parts of Wicklow. Some parts along the upper reaches of the glenbarrow track look suitable but I have little experience of camping so I could be wrong.

I don't think you would have much luck along the canals and waterways of Robertstown - although the stretch along the barrow feeder from Kilmeague to Pollardstown is fairly quiet and remote feeling. There is a large grassy area beside the ruins of the old mill at Milltown, but it is right by the village there so you might be noticed.

Advertisement