Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue Screen Might be memory issue

• 31-07-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Turned on PC other day to be presented with a blue screen of death error page_fault_in_nonpaged_error. Didn't pay much attention as it was fine after a reboot says I'll wait and see does it happen again.

Didn't take to long for it to happen again, this time with a different error system_service_exception. Just rebooted and is now hanging on the BIOS splash screen.

Also if I am pulling it out of hibernation I get the system memory has changed in turn it cannot restore the hibernation file.

Am I correct in saying this is a memory error?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's probably memory-related, but that needs to be further narrowed down. It could be:
    1) one or more faulty memory modules,
    2) one or more faulting memory channels on your motherboard,
    3) faulty memory in your graphics adapter (less likely, admittedly).

Your best bet is to grab memtest86+, burn it to CD/put it on a bootable USB stick, and leave it running on the machine for a few hours. If it finds errors, work through a process of elimination testing a single module at a time in the same slot on the motherboard.

If all modules come back with no errors, repeat the previous process working through each memory slot on the motherboard.

Once you've identified the fault, investigate fixes or replacement prices. If it's a motherboard issue it might be possible to resolve the problem with a firmware update - check with the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

I'm about to help you, I had the same problem. The reason was 1 of 2 things.

1 SSD - Crucial M4 (updated firmware and reinstalled windows)
    2 Power Supply (Got a Coolermaster V1000)

I did both of the above and now not 1 BSOD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Fysh wrote: »
    It's probably memory-related, but that needs to be further narrowed down. It could be:
    1) one or more faulty memory modules,
    2) one or more faulting memory channels on your motherboard,
    3) faulty memory in your graphics adapter (less likely, admittedly).

Your best bet is to grab memtest86+, burn it to CD/put it on a bootable USB stick, and leave it running on the machine for a few hours. If it finds errors, work through a process of elimination testing a single module at a time in the same slot on the motherboard.

If all modules come back with no errors, repeat the previous process working through each memory slot on the motherboard.

Once you've identified the fault, investigate fixes or replacement prices. If it's a motherboard issue it might be possible to resolve the problem with a firmware update - check with the vendor.

Its a PC I built myself, I was just about to run a memory test there until a restart brought the computer to a complete standstill there is no image on screen, reseated everything inside PC graphics ram etc and no joy. Starting to panic at this stage.

Quick update, reseated the ram again has seemed to work. Dram led light was flashing red before hand its an Asus mb.

I'll run a memory test anyways just to make sure.

crazydom wrote: »
    I'm about to help you, I had the same problem. The reason was 1 of 2 things.

1 SSD - Crucial M4 (updated firmware and reinstalled windows)
    2 Power Supply (Got a Coolermaster V1000)

I did both of the above and now not 1 BSOD!

I don't think replacing the PSU is going to fix a memory error pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

Well funny enough I thought the same. Listen to this scenario. Unstable power from the PSU not giving a high quality or stable voltage to the ram and then BSOD. I had the same error and did what I said and it worked. It is worth a shot I would imagine? Get a friends PSU and try it and see if it fixes the problem!

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=5026.0

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fysh wrote: »
    back in the distant past I had cache errors after upgrading the firmware, and going back a version sorted it out

you can use switches like burnmemory / truncatememory too

Thanks for replys I think the reseat of the ram done the trick haven't had a bsod since. Didn't tried memtest yet will do when I get the time.

Advertisement