Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote viewing desktop.

Options
  • 31-07-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to build a fairly good computer, I'm planning on putting probably around 1k if not more into the PC, without a monitor, so pretty much just for the box, and I'll buy a mouse and keyboard separately from the 1k for the box. However, I was also planning on buying a laptop for the portability factor, though, I'd probably just use it around my house. So, I was thinking, is there any kind of laptop like box I could use to remote view my PC on my wifi network? Or if I purchased a fairly cheap laptop (€500 or less), would I be able to remote view my PC properly on that? Would I be able to play high end games via remote viewing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Apart from the high end games part, you could consider something like teamviewer http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

You can just use Microsoft Remote Desktop connection...

Still won't do games or video we'll though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You can just use Microsoft Remote Desktop connection...

Still won't do games or video we'll though
    Remote desktop all the way but only for normal use and control (not for media like video, games etc.) I have a server (it's a nettop mounted behind the TV) that's only connected to power and Ethernet - everything is controlled remotely via my phone or Remote Desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bernard McGinley

Depends on what you want to do. RDP is great for desktop apps, VNC for controlling fullscreen apps on a media centre etc without killing local display. There are apps that forward keyboard and mouse only (i use hipporemote on the phone). Synergy if you're in the same room works great for keyboard and mouse control from a laptop.

For games if steam supports them it's streaming works well over ethernet, worked well in the same room as the wifi point, but was sensitive elsewhere in the house. I'm assuming nvidia's streaming tech is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

The Limelight app allows streaming games from your PC to Android, Nvidia only

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The steam client allows in home streaming and it works very well. You can add non-steam apps to it too.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/26lvhd/psa_steam_inhome_streaming_allows_complete_remote/

Advertisement