Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo v Cork All Ireland SFC QF 4pm 03/08 RTE2HD

• 31-07-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭

The Big one

Expect Mayo to win this without too much drama, eventhough I don't think they will open a can of whoop ass like they did v Donegal in 2013 I expect them to be in control throughout, and the result never to be in doubt.

Cork have named the same team as v Sligo last week so they have at least settled down a little in that regard

Mayo team out at lunchtime tomorrow, will be interesting to see if Cuniffe is back fit and if Horan tinkers with the midfield/half forward line up.

Cork
    1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    4. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig)
    5. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr’s – Captain)
    6. Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty)
    7. Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    8. Ian Maguire (St. Finbarr’s)
    9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    10. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    11. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    12. Colm O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    13. Colm O’Neill (Ballyclough)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. Donal Óg Hodnett (O’Donovan Rossa)

Subs
    16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    17. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    18. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    19. Seán Kiely (Ballincollig)
    20. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    21. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
    22. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
    23. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)
    24. Barry O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    25. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    26. Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Mayo by between 6-8 points, with the game effectively over at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Are Mayo that good or are Cork that bad?
    Cork looked good in patches during the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Mayo are a championship team, the league has been shown to have been total bluff this year except of course for Dublin. Cork have huge problems in the camp and with the team selected. For example it is likely that loughrey will mark cian o connor, the man is no where near good enough for this level never mind marking a top forward.
    As for midfield, Maguire is young and totally inexperienced while for every ball walsh wins or gets possession of cleanly there will be 3 others he will miscue, over jump etc
    Mayo are everything cork are NOT -composed, physical, experienced, strong defensively, strong middle eight, strong midfield, excellent mamager, good set up, high morale in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

wackokid wrote: »
    Are Mayo that good or are Cork that bad?
    Cork looked good in patches during the league.

Cork like Derry had a good league but struggled when they came up against a packed defence (v Tipp & Kerry)

Cork have also had problems with the accuracy of kick-outs - the current GK was dropped because of this issue, last year.

Cork implemented Kerry's tactics but played 2 sweepers v Sligo. Sligo were very poor, even missed a few easy frees in the 1st half but got it back to 4 pts in the 2nd. However, Cork adapted well to the system given the lack of preparation.

Mayo were obviously troubled by Roscommon's defensive set-up but had no difficulty in opening up Galway's defence.

Cork have a lot of quality with Senior and U21 AI medalists in the side - However, they were well beaten at MF in each c/ship game so far and Mayo are much better at MF than Cork's opponents, to date.

It would be a major shock if Mayo don't have a comfortable victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Everyone is talking about how Cork struggle against a packed defence. That doesn't really seem like Mayo to me unless they've changed a lot in the couple of games I've missed this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Mayo Team: Hennelly, Barrett, Caff, Higgins, Keegan, Boyle, Vaughan, Moran, S.OShea, McLoughlin, A.O'Shea, Doherty, O'Connor, Moran, Dillon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo Team: Hennelly, Barrett, Caff, Higgins, Keegan, Boyle, Vaughan, Moran, S.OShea, McLoughlin, A.O'Shea, Doherty, O'Connor, Moran, Dillon

Keeping faith in Dillon.
    At least Freeman can be sprung if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Keeping faith in Dillon.
    At least Freeman can be sprung if needed

I have no faith in him, he never performs in Croker. Freeman should be starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He has failed to preform in finals, he has had some very good days out in CP, the 2012 SF v Dublin being one that springs to mind.

I think Freeman is a better option also, but Horan is his own man, and if it's true that there is bad blood between him and Freeman then I'm not surprised that he is not starting, plus I'd expect Conroy ( a Horan reconstruction project from 2012) to come in before Freeman, just as in the Connaught final

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Darragh O Shea says

Mayo’s subs turned the game for them the first day against Roscommon but both Andy Moran and Alan Dillon started for them in the Connacht final. That meant that when James Horan was sending subs on, it was Mickey Conroy and Alan Freeman that he was turning to.

We know what these guys are capable of at this stage. Are they capable of an All-Ireland? Would Mayo be happy to be depending on them to come off the bench to turn an All-Ireland final against the Dubs? It’s hard to be certain of it.

But what they do have in abundance is experience and physicality. These guys are battle hardened, they’ve been on the road for five or six years together. They’re a professional outfit at this stage. They’re not coming to Croke Park with their fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

In a way, it would be easier for them if they were. When anything less than an All-Ireland is a disaster, some of the joy goes out of it. There’s a comfort in having low expectations and Mayo left that behind a long time ago. Their supporters don’t have the luxury of going to Dublin for fun of it any more. It’s business now. Get in, get out, get it done.
    Early goal
    I expect they will. They don’t panic these days. You could very easily see someone like Colm O’Neill banging in an early goal for Cork on Sunday but if it happens, there’s no chance you’ll see any Mayo player with his head in his hands. It’ll be, “Right lads, next ball and away we go.” They have experience, ability and pedigree and I don’t see them being beaten this early.

As for the two qualifiers, I’d see them both going the way of the Ulster counties. Meath and Kildare seem confused and flustered with themselves at the minute. I can’t understand why Meath are still going on about the biting thing. I can’t understand why they brought it up in the first place. Crying after a big hammering would never happen with a Meath team of the past and it shouldn’t happen now. We’re all big boys. Get on with it.

To me, Armagh are ahead of them at the moment. They’ve got a bit of momentum behind them and they’ve been gradually getting their system right. I fancy them to tough it out.

As for the other game, Kildare look to be in a muddle altogether.

They seem disjointed and lacking in the sort of toughness they had under Kieran McGeeney. Monaghan should expose that on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sligo played Wicklow, Limerick, Galway and Cork

The Cork game (even with a horror show from the Sligo forwards in the first half) was the one in which they scored the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Talk about being wide of the mark. Dillon has consistently been a great player for Mayo down the years. He has delivered in Croker, Dublin in 06 and 12 being just two examples.

I agree that his best years are behind him but he's been a great servant and one of our best players down the years.

FWIW I'd like to see himself and Andy Moran being used as impact subs in the second half when teams are tiring, so that their lack of pace wouldn't be such an issue and their experience would calm the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Talk about being wide of the mark. Dillon has consistently been a great player for Mayo down the years. He has delivered in Croker, Dublin in 06 and 12 being just two examples.

I agree that his best years are behind him but he's been a great servant and one of our best players down the years.

FWIW I'd like to see himself and Andy Moran being used as impact subs in the second half when teams are tiring, so that their lack of pace wouldn't be such an issue and their experience would calm the team.

Totally agreed,he's been a great servant to Mayo down through the years,excellent on his day in Croker.Unfortunately he has underperformed on finals days like many Mayo footballers.But it is hard to comprehend as he enters the twilight of his career how he gets a start ahead of Alan Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Going by league form and the Connacht final Mayos strong defensive system are showing cracks for the first time under James Horan however I still fancy Mayo to win this game by 5-7 points as their defence is still better than Corks as is midfield and of course a better management team on the line which is worth it's weigh in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I'm worried about Kerrigan running at us in space and the Cork blanket nullifying Dillon/Moran and Doherty. I think we win but need to call on Jason Gibbons/Freezer. Important that Mcgloughlin/Keegan/AOS/SOS are shooting from distance alot. Could be a low scoring first half if Cork have 5 near the full back line and 6 or 7 near the half backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah the boys will need to have their shooting boots on to kick points from distance and overcome the blanket defence. Scores may be hard to come by, could be quite a low scoring game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Would prefer to see dillon and Moran as impact sub's,for. Me Moran slows the game down way to much.
    In saying that I am expecting a big game from dillion he is due one and with being back to full fitness I hope he can shine in croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Just looking at some more results - Cork conceded 1-11 to both Tipperary and Sligo and of course 0-24 to Kerry.

Really convinced that Cork's defence is still very suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

keane2097 wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about how Cork struggle against a packed defence. That doesn't really seem like Mayo to me unless they've changed a lot in the couple of games I've missed this summer?

How about a rubbish team struggling with a far superior team.

Mayo will win by whatever score they wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've tickets for this game really looking forward to it. I don't go for all this packed defense argument either. I expect mayo to win this due to an overall superior team display and conditioning. I was shocked when it was pointed out how few of corks 2010 team were available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BTW I've zero connection to Mayo but the game and attitude shown against Donegal last year from management to every player left a mark. I hope this team wins an all Ireland. They are great to watch when they get motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

So come around to thinking we can win this well. If Cork had a longer practice period with their blanket I'd be concerned but I think their counter attack will get turned over regular. Middle 8 we are stronger. Teamwork n fitness should be well in our favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The difference in confidence levels between Horan and Cuthbert is noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Martin Carney.
    Why do we have to listen to that idiot?

Annoying that RTE never bother listing the subs of both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Would love to see an upset, but think Mayo have too much class.

If Cork can get a few early scores on the board, Mayo could crumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

If Cillian O'Connor is not a marquee forward, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

An exam question for the experts here on boards!!!

Q. When Paul Kerrigan gets the ball and goes on his first solo run....

will he either

A) Run down a CulDeSac and lose the ball/hit it wide from a bad angle

OR

B) outrun his defender and pop it over the bar

This question is worth 20 points

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Anyone else see the Cork player having a wizz on tv in the huddle?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone else see the Cork player having a wizz on tv in the huddle?

Yea! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Anyone else see the Cork lad taking a pee in the team huddle haha

Carney showing his Mayo bias yet again

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Cork lucky there

I thought that point was wide!

Is Hawkeye available today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

deadybai wrote: »
    Anyone else see the Cork lad taking a pee in the team huddle haha

Diarmuid Connelly got caught doing that a while back as well..

Not sure that they should be giving the keeper any plaudits over that last mess up...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That was reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Cadogan- poor football and a bit of a tramp.
    Have never understood how he consistently starts especially after getting taken apart in every game he played last year- Kerry, Galway and Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hurley is very good at football.

Mayo fans not liking their players being roughed up

I'll bet there'll be a red card.

How can referees and linesmen not see these elbows being thrown. It is a common thing these days and very rarely goes punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serious pace in that Cork full forward line.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If it starts raining Cork are in trouble

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Black card, right decision by the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Black card alright but O'Shea made it look as dramatic as possible.

he always does

In fairness he sort of had to do it to make sure.

Cahillane will be another high risk red card for Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Cork have come here to play football......

Cork have come here to play football......

this is good news as the stuff we played against Kerry was not football anyway!

Not much reason for Goold to lie down there. Great free though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement