Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo v Cork All Ireland SFC QF 4pm 03/08 RTE2HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Delighted Mayo won... Poor behaviour by the Cork players jostling the referee at the end there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Cork have every right to be aggrieved. Not only for that incident at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Because it is nearly impossible to score a goal with all the bodies back, they were two points down with a minute left it was a no-brainer

Probably should have tried it the second time

Michael Meehan did it last year against Cork.

Terrible from Colm O'Neill and he should have at least tried to blast the ball for a goal, you never know what might have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Colm O Neill must have had Cork backed on the handicap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

Strumms wrote: »
    Delighted Mayo won... Poor behaviour by the Cork players jostling the referee at the end there.

Ah jostling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

??? Ref must have told them the wrong thing !

Certainly seemed that way given how the players reacted. Would be in keeping with what happened in the game. The referee was absolutely shocking. Thats said a lot i know but he was seriously shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Can't wait till Mayo get to the final and lose again :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So its all the referee's fault Cork lost today?

Give it a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

That referee was terrible. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Balls, we certainly could have won today.
    We gave up a lot of sloppy scores due to turnovers in our half.
    We also could have had a penalty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I have no time for cork but the ref obviously told them there was time left and then he blew up. The gaa refs are the worst by a long way of any code of sports I follow.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Jeez Cork have to be unhappy with the ref performance, a lot of 'incident' in the Mayo goalmouth and every decision seemed to go Mayos way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Can't help but feel we were robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I have no time for cork but the ref obviously told them there was time left and then he blew up. The gaa refs are the worst by a long way of any code of sports I follow.

I highly doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Lapin wrote: »

Give it a rest.

Not Cork's fault Galway got hammered lad.

Give it a rest and have a drink.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Michael Meehan did it last year against Cork.

Terrible from Colm O'Neill and he should have at least tried to blast the ball for a goal, you never know what might have happened.

But that was a one in a hundred shot, I don't recall anyone else scoring like that, he should have tried it the second time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Hate when they play 2 minutes injury time in close matches considering the amount of time the ball spends out of play.

Give it a rest.

They have a massive influence on any game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Saw the replay there, Cork players are right to be pissed

Another All Ireland for Dublin it would seem, Mayo should have killed the game off easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Give it a rest.

Not all his fault but certainly he gave them a massive help, ignoring the injury time debate which is completely at his discretion and he cant be blamed for at all. Corks claim of streetwise tactics by Mayo isn't far off the point at all. Also if he did say there was time for one more play and then blows it up, its not wrong technically but it shows hes just an utter ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nib wrote: »
    Cork have every right to be aggrieved. Not only for that incident at the end.

How ? Cork got away with murder right throughout the game. If they weren't taking out Mayo players off the ball which consistently went unseen and unpunished..they were leaving plenty on the man after the tackle when the ball was gone and play moved on.

Yes they should have had a penalty but over the course of 70 minutes you cannot expect not to have a decision go against them.. Perhaps throwing themselves on the deck as they did throughout the game might have influenced the referee in the end. They did also gain frees which resulted in scores on a couple of occasions by play acting when in truth it was a 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anonymou wrote: »
    Not all his fault but certainly he gave them a massive help, ignoring the injury time debate which is completely at his discretion and he cant be blamed for at all.

He can be blamed if he told Cork there was time for one more play and then blew up while the ball was in the air from the kickout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd like to think i'd be quite impartial to either team as a Dublin man. But i'd certainly 100% feel aggrieved by the standard of refereeing in that game, he seemed to give Mayo everything.

These things happen on any given day, esp 50/50 calls, but he got the simple decisions wrong.

How ? Cork got away with murder right rough out the game. If they weren't taking out Mayo players off the ball which consistently went unseen and unpunished..they were leaving plenty on the man after the tackle when the ball was gone and play moved on.

Yes they should have had a penalty but over the course of 70 minutes you cannot expect not to have a decision go against them.. Perhaps throwing themselves on the deck as they did throughout the game might have influenced the referee in the end. They did also gain frees which resulted in scores on a couple of occasions by play acting when in truth it was a 50/50.

Mayo were at it just as much to be honest. They are no angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cork lost the ball far too easily in the tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Harsh on Cork to be fair but they gave away silly scores and made countless stupid mistakes. There is a serious issue in the county with selections. Cadogan and Cahalane should never be seen playing football in a Cork jersey. Their selections are truly of a biased nature and anyone with a brain can see they're very poor footballers.

Orizio wrote: »
    Not Cork's fault Galway got hammered lad.

Give it a rest and have a drink.

Don't be silly now.

I never mentioned Galway in this thread.

And if you read what I wrote in the Galway v Kerry thread you'll see my comments on that game. Kerry beat us fair and square.

I don't go whinging about referees afterwards.

Cork need to accept their defeat like men.

The lost more than a game today. Their dignity went out the window too.

aveytare wrote: »
    Hate when they play 2 minutes injury time in close matches considering the amount of time the ball spends out of play.

They played 3 minutes of injury time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Jesus what a last ten minutes of play! I think Mayo deserve to win overall, fair play and now they have a semi-final against Kerry to look forward to. Should be good.

I was shocked that they went for a point at the end, it was well over two minutes gone. I wonder what was said on the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Nonsense.

Ref made some poor decisions today, but anyone who feels that Cork were robbed needs to take a long walk.

But that was a one in a hundred shot, I don't recall anyone else scoring like that, he should have tried it the second time though.

Meehan for Galway (v Kildare I think?) , recent too.

Don't be silly now.

And if you read what I wrote in the Galway v Kerry thread you'll see my comments on that game. Kerry beat us fair and square.

I think they got there dignity back today:rolleyes:

copacetic wrote: »

Against Cork last year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Macavity. wrote: »
    Ref made some poor decisions today, but anyone who feels that Cork were robbed needs to take a long walk.

Were not robbed but the Referee clearly made a balls up. He clearly told the Cork players their was 1 more play left then decided he would blow it up.

He should be banned from the Champ next season IMO, only way we will see Ref's (in every game) start making the correct calls and not just the easy ones

I think Cork, if anything, can be proud of the performance (leaving aside the unpleasantness at the end).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Just stop. You're beginning to embarrass yourself now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was that in the league? I've no recollection of it, unless you mean the one vs Cork last year

Slattsy wrote: »
    On a lighter note :D

BuINEm8IYAAq0y2.jpg

No need to post that

• Advertisement

Macavity. wrote: »
    Another All Ireland for Dublin it would seem, Mayo should have killed the game off easy.

I think the Mayo lads are sandbagging a bit tbh.

They were an experienced team last year but the one lesson they may have taken was don't peak to soon. Their best performance was the QF last year and it was followed by two so, so performance. Horan is a man always looking for improvement and i reckon the mantra all year was peak when we have to.

They cut it a bit fine today but certainly the way the game panned out would support that belief. ie every time they were threatened they upped the intensity at will.

Still think Dublin are more than a match for their best, not to mention Kerry, but i wouldn't be put off them by todays performance.

Nonsense.
    roshje wrote: »
    I think they got there dignity back today:rolleyes:

Come on. There is no dignity in jossling with the ref as he walks off the pitch.

What did they expect him to do? Say "Ok lads give me the ball and we'll throw in again and carry on for another minute or two, call them Mayo lads back and tell the media people to clear off the pitch. Only a minute or two now mind".

Get up the yard.

Was that in the league? I've no recollection of it, unless you mean the one vs Cork last year

Must have been cork so, but now you remember it?

Poor 3rd quarter of the game really cost Cork. Left themselves with a lot to do. Once they decided to run at Mayo during the last 15 minutes they really caused them big problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Don't be silly now.

They do have a right to be a big pissed at the end though in fairness. I'd be ****ing raging if it was clare.

Were not robbed but the Referee clearly made a balls up. He clearly told the Cork players their was 1 more play left then decided he would blow it up.

He should be banned from the Champ next season IMO, only way we will see Ref's (in every game) start making the correct calls and not just the easy ones

I think this is very premature. We don't know what was said to Cork, nor even what was relayed amongst the Cork players/staff. Taking a point from a position like that with 20 or 30 seconds gone after the 'end' of extra time is madness imo regardless.

Must have been cork so, but now you remember it?

I though you meant he did it a second time but then realised you were talking about the one he did against Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Great game of football from two good sides.
    I thought Cork's full forward line were very accurate, but the best side won on the day.
    The referee made a big error in my opinion, he clearly told the Cork players there would be another play so he has a lot to answer for.
    The likelihood is Cork would never have got that goal, but the referee never gave them the chance to which was a bit unfair.
    However, as a neutral, Mayo progressing to the semi's is better for this year's Championship.

On a side note, I bet the Cork manager wished he started Donnacha O'Connor, that goal was magic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

c_man wrote: »
    I think this is very premature. We don't know what was said to Cork, nor even what was relayed amongst the Cork players/staff. Taking a point from a position like that with 20 or 30 seconds gone after the 'end' of extra time is madness imo regardless.

Well its pretty clear what was said, The ref looked at his watch as the Cork players were asking him before the free. He then said something to them

He hardly said "This is the last play" and the Cork man decided ah **** it, il score a point and we will regroup for next year. He obvs told them their was another play left

c_man wrote: »

Agreed. In fact going for a point with the first free was madness. 70 mins were up, you are never going to score 3 points in 2 mins. Not with the length of time the keeper will take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement