Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo v Cork All Ireland SFC QF 4pm 03/08 RTE2HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Well its pretty clear what was said, The ref looked at his watch as the Cork players were asking him before the free. He then said something to them

He hardly said "This is the last play" and the Cork man decided ah **** it, il score a point and we will regroup for next year. He obvs told them their was another play left

You're assuming quite a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

c_man wrote: »
    We don't know what was said to Cork, nor even what was relayed amongst the Cork players/staff.

That's the problem with these allegations. It's a conversation that no one else has access to. There's nothing in the rules that the referee has to report any information on time to any player. And they should avoid controversy and say nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Well its pretty clear what was said, The ref looked at his watch as the Cork players were asking him before the free. He then said something to them

He hardly said "This is the last play" and the Cork man decided ah **** it, il score a point and we will regroup for next year. He obvs told them their was another play left

It's possible they decided to chance their arm, go for the point, and just hope he allowed another play. That would be absolute madness though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

copacetic wrote: »
    Meehan for Galway (v Kildare I think?) , recent too.
    Against Cork last year.
    Must have been cork so, but now you remember it?
    I though you meant he did it a second time but then realised you were talking about the one he did against Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

I though you meant he did it a second time but then realised you were talking about the one he did against Cork

Can't remember the name of the player (from O'Donavon Rossa) but Cork 21s did it recently as well. All it takes is for a weak hand to go in. Irrespective, even if it is a '1 in a 100 chance', Cork should have been given the information to take that chance.

Cork showed incredible heart today and as a Cork man I'm incredibly proud and full of dignity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It's possible they decided to chance their arm, go for the point, and just hope he allowed another play. That would be absolute madness though.

Its not possible, why if the ref said time was up would they hope they had another play?

The ref ****ed up, its clear as day.

1 of the many reasons kids are turning against the GAA, Referees at every level are useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cant see any player not taking a pop at the goal if the ref said it was the last play.
    You can clearly some dialogue between the players, and esp the runner, you could the runner was more incensed than any of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

They wouldn't have gone over to the ref in that case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

knird evol wrote: »
    That's the problem with these allegations. It's a conversation that no one else has access to. There's nothing in the rules that the referee has to report any information on time to any player. And they should avoid controversy and say nothing.

Considering the ref knows when he's going to blow up, asking him whether there is time for one more play is hardly taxing on him. He didn't give us much all day so not too surprising he'd lie about when he was going to blow the whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

vetinari wrote: »
    Considering the ref knows when he's going to blow up, asking him whether there is time for one more play is hardly taxing on him. He didn't give us much all day so not too surprising he'd lie about when he was going to blow the whistle.

Yes, it's all a big conspiracy against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fair play to Mayo on coming though in the end, the debacle at the end with the ref was unbelievable. Tipping our near neighbours to brush Mayo aside next with ease - if there is one thing the kingdom know how to do it is to win in Croke Park.

Macavity. wrote: »
    Yes, it's all a big conspiracy against Cork.

Id say just more shocking refereeing which has now occured in 4 games outta 4 this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

I played football for club and county growing up and I have to say how ANYBODY becomes a GAA referee in this country is beyond belief. I have seen ref's get the ****e beat out of them for making a wrong decision, I have seen a ref getting battered by a hurley, and the verbal abuse they receive on a day to day basis is incredible.

Maybe if the GAA mob as in some of the "fans" change their attitude and respect these ref's, maybe the ref can concentrate on a game instead of running around fearing for his safety. It's always the ref's fault. My own opinion is there isn't enough protection for referee's and that is why we have a lack of good ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

I wasn't making the point that it was physically taxing on him. I mean one player or a few players shouldn't be privy to some information or interpretation of something said. If it's to be made known how long is left then everyone should know. There should be a count down clock of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I doubt he lied. I'd say whats more plausible is he told the Cork player there's 30 or 40 seconds left. Though, just like last year, the Cork player thought that meant one more play. Unfortunately he didn't factor in the keeper taking his time.

The referees are probably directed not to use common sense and tell the lad you won't have time go for goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

knird evol wrote: »
    There should be a count down clock of course.

I'd love this. It would clear up a lot of sh!te from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

That mayo defence has become their achilles heel really should have won that game comfortably the bonus is Kerry looked less that hot against average Galway side and that's a very winnable semi final for mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In fairness this should be the long overdue end to Cormac Reilly's disastrous inter-county refereeing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Three minutes into the alloted two minutes of injury time and twice Cork didn't try for a goal from close in frees. Thats not the refs fault, thats their own stupidity.

Any reaction yet from inside Cork over the last play of the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any reaction yet from inside Cork over the last play of the game?

Cóilín Duffy ‏@coilinduffy
    Just spoke to @officialcorkGAA @crossbar13 - he says that ref Cormac Reilly told players that one min left when taking free #gaa

aveytare wrote: »
    Cóilín Duffy ‏@coilinduffy 3m
    Just spoke to @officialcorkGAA @crossbar13 - he says that ref Cormac Reilly told players that one min left when taking free #gaa

So the ref would have played nearly double the amount of initially signalled extra time... I think we'd all still be here arguing about the current state of it tbh!

aveytare wrote: »
    Me_RnaL_bigger.jpgCóilín Duffy ‏@coilinduffy 29m
    If that's true it's a disgraceful end to the game from the ref - if he did play 1 more minute Cork could have equalised easily... It's a wonder that Colm/rest of the team didn't go even more mad.

So the ref would have played nearly double the amount of initially signalled extra time... I think we'd all still be here arguing about the current state of it tbh!
    He must have read his watch wrong and after telling the Cork players about 1 minute he got word in his ear from his assistants that time was up ... Very unprofessional behaviour.

If true, then is it harsh in particular on the taker imo. Who was the Cork player taking the last free? With all the commotion I can't remember.

If true, then is it harsh in particular on the taker imo. Who was the Cork player taking the last free? With all the commotion I can't remember.
    Colm O'Neill I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Could argue that the player shouldn't be allowed ask the ref in that situation anyway.
    Effectively the player is saying "Ref, I have a difficult decision here, will you give me information which I can use to my advantage and thus to the disadvantage of the other team?"

Could argue that the player shouldn't be allowed ask the ref in that situation anyway.
    Effectively the player is saying "Ref, I have a difficult decision here, will you give me information which I can use to my advantage and thus to the disadvantage of the other team?"
    But Cork had won the free - Cork should have held the advantage at that point... If O'Neill had gone for the goal Cork could be into the SF of the championship.

So are you saying you should never be allowed ask the Ref how long is left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Aside from the ref....
    Mayo seem to have slipped a bit this year.

Why was Andy Moran subbed at the stage he was? Seemed a strange decision.
    Similarly Cillian O'Connor and Aidan O'Shea.
    They were hardly resting them in such a tight game.
    If your best players aren't fit enough for a full hard 70 mins you're in trouble

Look at some of the hits that were still going in at the end if extra time in Monaghan v Kildare yesterday

Thought both o'Sheas were very good today

• Advertisement

Aside from the ref....

Why was Andy Moran subbed at the stage he was? Seemed a strange decision.
    Similarly Cillian O'Connor and Aidan O'Shea.
    They were hardly resting them in such a tight game.
    If your best players aren't fit enough for a full hard 70 mins you're in trouble

Thought both o'Sheas were very good today

Id say reason O Connor was taking off is because he was not playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

I was at the game and at the end Colm O Neill (and a few others) were remonstrating with the referee.
    I think this was because of the free that Colm tapped over the bar.I think the ref might have told him there was more time left than there actually was.
    Having said that I accept the best team won and the ref didn't influence the result in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So are you saying you should never be allowed ask the Ref how long is left?

In fairness I haven't given it a lot of thought until now, but surely its clear in this situation that the trailing team asking the referee leaves it open to the ref being unfair to the leading team.

As to whether you should ever be allowed ask, well obviously its of less importance in the 27th minute than the 72nd so maybe not an issue then. Though fwiw a referee i played under (in soccer) always refused to answer and would just snap out 'you lads just play the game, I'll look after the watch'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

At least next year if Central Council get their finger out, the time keeping will be taken out of the refs hands. Amazing that ladies football never have this issue because of their use of the clock.

Ref was poor and made some awful decisions affecting both teams.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The ball was not it play for most of the allotted stoppage time, so the ref could easily have played another minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

lukin wrote: »
    I was at the game and at the end Colm O Neill (and a few others) were remonstrating with the referee.
    I think this was because of the free that Colm tapped over the bar.I think the ref might have told him there was more time left than there actually was.
    Having said that I accept the best team won and the ref didn't influence the result in any way.

Hey, you aren't allowed take a loss with dignity around here.

Don't you know you have to rant and rave about the ref and how the opposition went down easily and everything went their way.

Better team won for my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness I haven't given it a lot of thought until now, but surely its clear in this situation that the trailing team asking the referee leaves it open to the ref being unfair to the leading team.

As to whether you should ever be allowed ask, well obviously its of less importance in the 27th minute than the 72nd so maybe not an issue then. Though fwiw a referee i played under (in soccer) always refused to answer and would just snap out 'you lads just play the game, I'll look after the watch'.

It isn't an unfair advantage to ask and be told how long of the game is left.

The ball was not it play for most of the allotted stoppage time, so the ref could easily have played another minute.

Yeah but that interpretation varies from game to game, ref to ref. I think everyone's agreed that this needs clearing up for future championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Aside from the ref....

Don't think they are defensively as strong this year. Barrett and Cafferkey are getting roasted fairly regularly. Higgins is just about holding them together back there.

That said they might have enough physical power to beat Kerry anyway but I would have serious doubts about them beating Dublin or even Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Strange game-Cork went from the sublime to the ridiculous-kicked some great scores but handed Mayo about 10 points from poor turnovers, and were truly shocking in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half.They looked like a team that had given absoulutely no thought before the game as to how they would get the ball out of their own half-I havent seen the like of it for a long time. No kickout strategy, no support play to move the ball out, a few times in the 2nd half the keeper kicked the ball out to the right where there were 3 Mayo players around 1 Cork player!!

Mayo played ok-their tackling was excellent as usual. Would fancy Kerry in semi though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Turning point for me was when Paddy Kelly lost possession and Aidan O Shea scored his goal from it.
    Cork coughed up the ball too many times when they didn't need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

55 seconds were played from when the referee blew the whistle for the final free and the full time whistle. 46 seconds elapsed from when the referee blew for the previous free and it was struck. Which is unacceptable cork need to look at themselves rather than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nothing new there. The ref kept playing on in last year's All Ireland hurling final when Cork were a point ahead, even though the allotted injury time was up........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I thought the work rate of the Mayo players was unreal, the pressure their forwards put the Cork backs under was unbelievable. That's one way to challenge Dublin.

When they upped the pace, they were very very good. Opening a 7-point gap, they dominated midfield, they cut out the supply to O'Neill/Hurley and took their scores.

However, letting that slip was very poor from them. And in the first half, O'Neill & Hurley (who are class acts) both got scores way too easily. They did tighten up a bit, but then they conceded two goals.... better teams than Cork will punish them. And you'd say that any team that gets to the semi-final will be better than Cork tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Be interested to see what % of Mayo's scores came from turnover ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

He did, there was 2 mins allocated, he played nearly 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The foul by Colm O'Neill was outside the box, so no penalty, but not even a free was given:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Great save by Rob Hennelly, but was the ball touched on the ground by a Mayo man? Colm O'Neill seemed to think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just looking at Mayo's goal in the highlights and Corks full back should be ashamed of himself for the lack of effort he put in to get back into the square.He just stood there on the 21 and watched as Mayo ran through.If he sprinted he might have been able to get in the way and stop the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

Thought Ref was awful re his decisions in the second half, which had me scratching my head at various times.

Cork were at fault re giving ball away at times as it seemed to me that they were afraid of ref re tough tackles previously.

Also overplaying the ball, which was time wasting in my view as i would rather go direct. Sometimes it had worked for them but Mayo had them sussed. Mayo was like that few years ago re time wasting the ball. They have learned their lesson.

No 11 Cork player (not sure if it was him) was idiot re retaliation, which had prompted the ref to give back the free to Mayo as he was substituted later.

Now that last minute foul which should have been a penalty in my view as ref was so inconsistent. However Cork have only themselves to blame for as old habits haven't died. By the way, i'm a Cork fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement