Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo v Cork All Ireland SFC QF 4pm 03/08 RTE2HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

last minute foul was clearly outside the box so why would it be a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

To be fair to Mayo, today showed the character in their group, when Cork got level with 8 minutes to go, a lot of teams on the road a while like Mayo could have rolled over but they went up and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck again. I'd usually be critical of the O'Sheas but they played big leadership roles. Cillian O'Connor again showed a cool nerve when required.

Having said that, its hard to think Mayo aren't declining even if only by a few %. They haven't really added anyone worth talking about to the setup for the last couple of years, they may be able to add a lot of good players in 2 or 3 years times but at the moment its the same players they are going with again who have come up short before. No matter how they shuffle the positioning around that's the reality.

Alan Dillon playing the full 70+ minutes for a side looking to win the All-Ireland isn't a good sign. Alan Freeman looks to have been a bit harshly treated, very strange to see Enda Varley brought in again.

Chris Barrett and Ger Cafferkey are two players I rate highly but both are struggling for form. Tom Cunniffe did quite well today but against a higher calibre of opposition he has constantly been found out. Donal Vaughan got nominated for MOTM, how I'm not quite sure he kicked a crucial point near the end and laid on the goal for Aidan O'Shea but to me he doesn't have the footballing intelligence or the ability to finish off scores to play the role Mayo want him to play.

The O'Sheas did well but the game was played at almost walking pace at times as Cork tied themselves up in knots and ran themselves into Mayo's fantastic tackling, when it steps up in intensity like in the All-Ireland last year, have the O'Sheas the stamina to get around the pitch?

Positives for Mayo is that Jason Doherty is contributing well, Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan are still playing at a very high level and Keith Higgins is continuing to show what an excellent all round player he is. Seamus O'Shea is now chipping in with a few points and Andy Moran while not as effective as before is still doing a lot of dirty work for the team and showing great leadership.

Cork were a mixed bag, played some good football, mixed in with their usual faffing about, their laboured play suited Mayo as they were able to pressurise them and win turnovers, I can't help constantly feeling with Cork that there is a good side waiting to break out but their in-build cautious play allied to poor management seems to be preventing them from reaching their potential. Also, Cadogan, Walsh and Cahalane etc. really need to commit to one or the other, its to their eternal credit they have put in such a big year but both Cadogan and Walsh have looked flat when I've seen them with the footballers, its just an impossible task to serve two masters in the modern day game.

Despite Cork having got the upper hand on Kerry at underage in recent years, 2010 aside they haven't been able to make it count for anything at senior level.

Mayo v Kerry will be a tough one to call but really it would require a bit of a meltdown from Dublin for either to win the All-Ireland on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

What have the Cork footballers done to deserve such an abysmal support today? The turn out from Cork today was just a few hundred, by far the poorest supported team in Croke Park. Very odd from such a sporting county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Grats wrote: »
    What have the Cork footballers done to deserve such an abysmal support today? The turn out from Cork today was just a few hundred, by far the poorest supported team in Croke Park. Very odd from such a sporting county.

Might be something to do with the fact their hurlers are still in the championship? Cork have never been the best for supporting the football but supporting a county going reasonably well in both codes can be an expensive business, its a lot easier for the likes of Dublin to support both codes as the only expense they really have most of the time is the match tickets.

Especially if coming from somewhere like West Cork, the costs involved in a day out like that for one person are significant but for a family, can make it impractical. There are some good ticket deals but really that only the tip of the iceberg when you take into account travel, food etc.

Also after their Munster final display I doubt confidence was too high in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A friend of mine from Cork who follows both codes once told me that for training sessions, the minor hurlers would get preferential treatment over the senior footballers at his club. Corks football support is always abysmal no matter what the status of the hurling team. I don't understand this at all. Other dual counties such as Galway have historically taken a respectable crowd to support both teams. Even Donegal took more fans to Croker for last years Nicky Rickard final than Cork had today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

A friend of mine from Cork who follows both codes once told me that for training sessions, the minor hurlers would get preferential treatment over the senior footballers at his club. Corks football support is always abysmal no matter what the status of the hurling team. I don't understand this at all. Other dual counties such as Galway have historically taken a respectable crowd to support both teams. Even Donegal took more fans to Croker for last years Nicky Rickard final than Cork had today.

Nope, over the years Galway have been pretty poor supporters too, unless they're going really well, then the bandwagoners are everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What club is this?

If it is actually a senior football team, I seriously doubt this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Very few people outside of West Cork support Cork football in any strong way. And it takes ages to get from West Cork to Croker. And everyone expected this Cork team to get hammered.

Hence the tiny numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

The reason is simple. The football supporters who were unlucky enough to sit in those torture chamber seats in Pairc UI Caoimh saw their team humiliated by Kerry 24 points to 12. in the Munster Final. They know for sure that the guy in charge of the team is pathetic and the camp is in disarray as a result. They also know that 6 of the starting 15 and 2 of the subs introduced, play senior club hurling as their game of preference and 3 of them Cadogan, Cahillane and Walsh play intercounty hurling. These absent supporters know for sure that, barring a miracle, it is impossible for a senior intercounty team in 2014 to compete with a team totally dedicated to one code. No brainer IMHO.
    In addition to the above, they know that GAA referees in general are a sad lot and anybody expecting the bizarre rules to be implemented fairly are not in the real world. Reilly's failure to give Colm O Neill a tap over free for a blatant leg trip by Cafferky is only one example of his constant one sided implementation of these 'rules'.
    A neutral observer could be forgiven for thinking that Reilly availed of the very generous odds of 1/2 being offered by Paddy Power. Harsh statement I know, but I live in the real world and when I see shells, I guess eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

It's not hard to know why Cork is badly supported. The footballers have over 4 times less all irelands than the hurlers. You'll get on average an all ireland every 19/20 years with football and once every 4/5 years with the hurling. Add in the dominance of Kerry and days like 4 weeks ago with the munster final defeat and it all adds up.Very few in Cork will want to be associated with it.

Cork expects to win an all ireland in hurling no matter how bad things are but no matter how good things are in football they expect disappointment. I know from speaking to some cork people in the heartlands and when you talk to them about football they'll say they love the game but that you just can't trust cork seniors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

The return train ticket from Cork cost around €65 then there's a few quid for the Luas.

The match ticket was €30. Add in €50 for drink and food. That's €150

Same again for the Hurling in 2 weeks.

The simple fact is that a lot of people would like to go but can't afford it.

As the previous poster said, it doesn't encourage people to spend money attending big games at CP when the GAA are obviously struggling to get competent referees to do big games. Mayo were the better side on the day but some of the incompetence from O Reilly left a lot of frustration for Cork Supporters. He missed a clear late foul on C O Neill - these kind of frees must be given late in close games - no excuse for this level on ineptitude.

He also indicated to Cork Selector Ciaran O Sullivan that there was sufficient time for one more play after the last free - The enquiry was made and he should have either refused to comment or given an accurate indication. What happened was unsatisfactory and any supporter would be unhappy of it happened to their county.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

shockframe wrote: »
    It's not hard to know why Cork is badly supported. The footballers have over 4 times less all irelands than the hurlers. You'll get on average an all ireland every 19/20 years with football and once every 4/5 years with the hurling. Add in the dominance of Kerry and days like 4 weeks ago with the munster final defeat and it all adds up.Very few in Cork will want to be associated with it.

Cork expects to win an all ireland in hurling no matter how bad things are but no matter how good things are in football they expect disappointment. I know from speaking to some cork people in the heartlands and when you talk to them about football they'll say they love the game but that you just can't trust cork seniors.

As a Cork Football Supporter who has enjoyed following the side for a long time and enjoyed a lot of success in the last 10 years in particular - league final wins, Munster Titles, 10 successive QF appearences. The vast majority of supporters of other counties (Meath, Galway, Kildare, Cavan, Monaghan and even Mayo) would love to have our level of 'failure'

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but I must say that I'm bemused at this kind of post.

Interesting posts regarding the Cork supporters and the variety of reasons for the poor following. The ref one though is amusing to say the least as officials are every bit as questionable in hurling as in football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

As a Cork Football Supporter who has enjoyed following the side for a long time and enjoyed a lot of success in the last 10 years in particular - league final wins, Munster Titles, 10 successive QF appearences. The vast majority of supporters of other counties (Meath, Galway, Kildare, Cavan, Monaghan and even Mayo) would love to have our level of 'failure'

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but I must say that I'm bemused at this kind of post.

The record isnt bad in several areas but when it comes to all irelands cork has a very low success rate in all ireland finals about 1 in 4 if I'm correct. League and Munster titles matter little compared to the All Ireland now sadly.And Cork and Kerry's route to the Quarter Final is not anywhere near as demanding as the other provinces so not much of a surprise they are ever presents in the last 8.

The other counties you mentioned bar Galway dont have a competitive hurling team at the highest level so they will be supported because football is the Number 1 sport in their county.Cork hurling has a higher success rate in all ireland finals so they will get a greater support.

Not that I'm knocking Cork football or anything but with greater success comes greater support.When elements of your own county doesnt expect you to deliver it goes a long way to explaining why the support isnt there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,265 ✭✭✭✭km79

anyone shed any light on the off the ball incident that forced Kevin mcloughlin off for 5 mins with a cut above the eye........the ref missed it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

wackokid wrote: »
    The reason is simple. The football supporters who were unlucky enough to sit in those torture chamber seats in Pairc UI Caoimh saw their team humiliated by Kerry 24 points to 12. in the Munster Final.

when cork had the best football team in ireland in 2010 the support was very poor. i remember the 2010 quarter final against us (roscommon) and you could physically count the cork fans who were in croker that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

km79 wrote: »
    anyone shed any light on the off the ball incident that forced Kevin mcloughlin off for 5 mins with a cut above the eye........the ref missed it too

He got hit with an elbow by Eoin Cadogan, didn't look intentional to me, Cadogan was trying to break free of McLoughlin's tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Fireball07 wrote: »
    He got hit with an elbow by Eoin Cadogan, didn't look intentional to me, Cadogan was trying to break free of McLoughlin's tackle.

Kevin was lucky to stay on the field himself. A few off the ball incidents. He wasn't the only one, Loughry threw a punch off the ball, Aidan O'Shea dragged a Cork player who was injured up by the jersey and threw him down again.

The first half was filthy, both sides engaging in off the ball shenanigans.

The amount of support runners that were being tripped off the ball was a joke.

Hope Eamon Fitz lets the ref for the Semi know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

It thought fintan goolds actions on the pitch before the game ( urinating on the pitch) was disgraceful. If u done that on a public street u would be arrested. There hasnt been a word about it by the gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

It thought fintan goolds actions on the pitch before the game ( urinating on the pitch) was disgraceful. If u done that on a public street u would be arrested. There hasnt been a word about it by the gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He also indicated to Cork Selector Ciaran O Sullivan that there was sufficient time for one more play after the last free - The enquiry was made and he should have either refused to comment or given an accurate indication. What happened was unsatisfactory and any supporter would be unhappy of it happened to their county.

How do you know this? Has anyone actually come out and said what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Edmond_Dantes

cadogan should have got sent off that elbow was disgraceful, intent is not in the rule book, he elbowed mcloughlin in the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fireball07 wrote: »

Poor old Cadogan.....he's fierce unfortunate the poor lad. The amount of lads who have ran into his elbows and boots over the years is very unfortunate altogether.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

cadogan should have got sent off that elbow was disgraceful, intent is not in the rule book, he elbowed mcloughlin in the face

Nah he shouldn't have been sent off, maybe if mcloughlin wasn't dragging out of him he wouldn't have got hit in the face? What do you expect when you're holding on to a player in such close proximity, he has to try and free himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Metropolitan

Just looking at Mayo's goal in the highlights and Corks full back should be ashamed of himself for the lack of effort he put in to get back into the square.He just stood there on the 21 and watched as Mayo ran through.If he sprinted he might have been able to get in the way and stop the goal.

Ashamed you say?

I'd be interested to know do you think the ref should be ashamed for allowing the goal to stand?

youtube.com/watch?v=KJpNNn4VMX0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Just looking at Mayo's goal in the highlights and Corks full back should be ashamed of himself for the lack of effort he put in to get back into the square.He just stood there on the 21 and watched as Mayo ran through.If he sprinted he might have been able to get in the way and stop the goal.
    If its the player Im thinkin of it was his lack of intelligence in coming out to Vaughan when there were 2 men on him and leaving O Shea to run in behind him when he was facing the play and could see O Shea coming. Likewise the Kildare last player on Saturday came running out and let Corey in behind him -must drive their managers an teammates nuts when they see this stupid play. Mind you Cork had an abundance of stupid play to cancel out the sublime skills of ONeill,Hurley and OConnor,when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ashamed you say?

I'd be interested to know do you think the ref should be ashamed for allowing the goal to stand?

youtube.com/watch?v=KJpNNn4VMX0

I count about six steps after the bounces the ball.

The steps rule is never applied consistently anymore so I wouldn't be too harsh on the ref for that.I doubt there is a referee in the county who would ahev awarded a free out.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    55 seconds were played from when the referee blew the whistle for the final free and the full time whistle. 46 seconds elapsed from when the referee blew for the previous free and it was struck. Which is unacceptable cork need to look at themselves rather than anything else.
    Same as AIF last year-how somebody wouldnt have the cop on to grab the ball and kick it over the bar as soon as the free is given is beyond me, theres no need for ONeill to be puttin those on the ground and goin through his routine-mind you he still wasnt as slow as OConnor last year.

I count about six steps after the bounces the ball.

The steps rule is never applied consistently anymore so I wouldn't be too harsh on the ref for that.I doubt there is a referee in the county who would ahev awarded a free out.
    Id say at least 8 before the bounce and at least 8 after the bounce.

How do you know this? Has anyone actually come out and said what happened?
    Yes-Cuthbert.

• Advertisement

Might be something to do with the fact their hurlers are still in the championship? Cork have never been the best for supporting the football but supporting a county going reasonably well in both codes can be an expensive business, its a lot easier for the likes of Dublin to support both codes as the only expense they really have most of the time is the match tickets.

Especially if coming from somewhere like West Cork, the costs involved in a day out like that for one person are significant but for a family, can make it impractical. There are some good ticket deals but really that only the tip of the iceberg when you take into account travel, food etc.

Also after their Munster final display I doubt confidence was too high in the county.
    Ah now theres some weak arguments in there-both munster finals were in cork so this would be the 1st game that theyd have to travel for.

There must be plenty of people in Cork who would be football before hurling.

Why do people always bring up the cost of bringing a family to a game-go to a game and look around, its actually mostly adults and not many familes actually.

Surley in a county with half a million people a few thousand could afford the cost of a trip all the way to Dublin to support the team, theres probably 30,000 Cork people living in Dublin as well.

Fair enough they were poor against Kerry but its not alot different when they come up as champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 menace404

harpsman wrote: »
    Ah now theres some weak arguments in there-both munster finals were in cork so this would be the 1st game that theyd have to travel for.

There must be plenty of people in Cork who would be football before hurling.

Why do people always bring up the cost of bringing a family to a game-go to a game and look around, its actually mostly adults and not many familes actually.

Surley in a county with half a million people a few thousand could afford the cost of a trip all the way to Dublin to support the team, theres probably 30,000 Cork people living in Dublin as well.

Fair enough they were poor against Kerry but its not alot different when they come up as champions.

Check your facts buddy. Cork had to travel to Tullamore for the football game against Sligo last weekend.
    Include the 3 trips to Thurles for the hurling, two munster finals in the pairc, a munster football semi in the pairc, a qualifier in Tullamore, a quarter final against Mayo and a hurling semi final the week after next.....do you think Cork people are made of money or what???
    Thats over 200euro on tickets alone for one person, nevermind one or two kids on top of that, plus travel and food. Bloody hell....people cant afford their water charges and property tax nevermind this kind of cash for GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

When you gotta go, you gotta go. You probably would've hung, drawn and quartered Gary Lineker for what he did on the pitch during the 1990 World Cup match against Ireland.......

menace404 wrote: »
    Check your facts buddy. Cork had to travel to Tullamore for the football game against Sligo last weekend.
    Include the 3 trips to Thurles for the hurling, two munster finals in the pairc, a munster football semi in the pairc, a qualifier in Tullamore, a quarter final against Mayo and a hurling semi final the week after next.....do you think Cork people are made of money or what???
    Thats over 200euro on tickets alone for one person, nevermind one or two kids on top of that, plus travel and food. Bloody hell....people cant afford their water charges and property tax nevermind this kind of cash for GAA.
    You re right, thats alot of games for Cork football supporters not to travel to, you might as well throw in the cost of a family of 8 to the world cup final as well since there was only a couple of hundred less Cork supporters at that.

I can only hope that youre being satirical with the water charges stuff or is everyone in Mayo exempt from water charges?
    And your houses down there are only worth about 3 quid so the property tax cant be tht much(joking mods).

Next week there'll be at least 15,000 Donegal supporters on a Saturday afternoon who have as far to travel as the Cork crowd and its their 4th trip of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

menace404 wrote: »

The idea that hordes of Cork supporters went to Tullamore to watch the Sligo game which made them too broke to travel to Croke Park the following weekend doesn't strike me as particularly watertight tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

keane2097 wrote: »
    The idea that hordes of Cork supporters went to Tullamore to watch the Sligo game which made them too broke to travel to Croke Park the following weekend doesn't strike me as particularly watertight tbh.

To be fair, that's not the point.

The fact of the matter is if Cork people want to follow both hurling and football they're going to have to spend an incredible amount of money. Of course, not everybody has that money so people have to pick and choose their games.

Be honest, if you are a Cork man faced with a choice of going to the Cork-Mayo game after the performance against Kerry or the Cork-Tipp game in two weeks, there'd be only one choice.

Is Cork not a huge county with a big enough population to support both codes? I would have thought that not every Cork GAA supporter would follow hurling and football and would therefore be at least a few thousand supporting football solely. We've been hearing so much about dual players in Cork yet there is little or no support for football. Sad to see a player like C O'Neill play his heart out yesterday after his honorific injuries and no great support for him and his colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Figsy32 wrote: »
    To be fair, that's not the point.

The fact of the matter is if Cork people want to follow both hurling and football they're going to have to spend an incredible amount of money. Of course, not everybody has that money so people have to pick and choose their games.

Be honest, if you are a Cork man faced with a choice of going to the Cork-Mayo game after the performance against Kerry or the Cork-Tipp game in two weeks, there'd be only one choice.

And a couple of hundred people - tops - picked and choosed to follow the footballers to Croke Park for an All Ireland Quarter-final out of over half a million people in the county.

Of course it's hardly a surprise considering the welcome home even the more popular hurlers got after losing the All Ireland final replay last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Meh, I think people just like to raise this because its Cork to be honest. Galway of Kerry didn't exaclty bring huge numbers with them either. Dublin hurlers support was pretty much non existent up until a few year's ago. Nothing ever said about it.
    There will be 35,000 plus in two weeks time. Hurlers>footballers in Cork. Its not really that big of a deal.
    Better team won yesterday, good luck to them.

And a couple of hundred people - tops - picked and choosed to follow the footballers to Croke Park for an All Ireland Quarter-final out of over half a million people in the county.

Of course it's hardly a surprise considering the welcome home even the more popular hurlers got after losing the All Ireland final replay last year.

Look there's no doubt about it, the hurling is king in Cork.

The issue is only highlighted because there's no county in a similar position where both codes get to Croker every single year. (Wexford and Dublin slightly different for obvious reasons.)

Plus let's not forget it was a game where Cork weren't expected to get within 7 pts of Mayo.

• Advertisement

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Look there's no doubt about it, the hurling is king in Cork.

The issue is only highlighted because there's no county in a similar position where both codes get to Croker every single year. (Wexford and Dublin slightly different for obvious reasons.)

Plus let's not forget it was a game where Cork weren't expected to get within 7 pts of Mayo.

So, if ye had won Munster and were in with a chance against Mayo then the support would have turned out!

podmu80 wrote: »
    Meh, I think people just like to raise this because its Cork to be honest. Galway of Kerry didn't exaclty bring huge numbers with them either. Dublin hurlers support was pretty much non existent up until a few year's ago. Nothing ever said about it.
    There will be 35,000 plus in two weeks time. Hurlers>footballers in Cork. Its not really that big of a deal.
    Better team won yesterday, good luck to them.

There were a few thousand from both Galway and Kerry, at best a few hundred from Cork. Would have thought there are many Cork people living in Dublin and surrounding counties, so distance isn't everything.

So, if ye had won Munster and were in with a chance against Mayo then the support would have turned out!

Not at all. I'm just saying it was a factor.

I find it hard to criticise fans for picking the hurlers over the footballers in this instance. (Speaking as somebody who has been at all games bar the Sligo game in both codes for the last 2 years.)

The choice: (for some people, admittedly not all):

1. The footballers who gave a really really disappointing display against Kerry, with a heavily criticised management team adopting a new defensive system playing in a quarter against a Mayo team who were 6 point favourites.

Or 2. The hurlers who have a Munster title behind them with a hugely popular coach in charge of them in a semi final with a realistic shot of an all-Ireland title against big rivals.

There's no comparison.

By the way, nothing would have pleased me more than to have had 15,000 Cork people there yesterday but I just think circumstances conspired this year that people found it hard to get excited about the footballers, which translates into empty seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Come back to me when you've done an 8 to 10 hour hour round trip from West Cork to Croke park. Some of the West Cork lads almost a have a 4 hour round trip to training in Cork City a couple of times a week.

There were a few thousand from both Galway and Kerry, at best a few hundred from Cork. Would have thought there are many Cork people living in Dublin and surrounding counties, so distance isn't everything.

And do Kerry/Galway have another team playing in two weeks time? I would highly doubt 30,000 Cork people live in Dublin as previously stated.

I was at both Munster finals, but once both teams get to Croke Park, which happens pretty much every year, I will always choose the hurlers over the footballers. Cannot afford both, and as has been previously stated hurling is by far away number one in Cork.
    Cork-Tipp in Croker is far more attractive than Cork-Anybody in football.
    Yes support for the footballers is poor, its not a big deal. By the same token, the support for the hurlers is huge and always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Is Cork not a huge county with a big enough population to support both codes? I would have thought that not every Cork GAA supporter would follow hurling and football and would therefore be at least a few thousand supporting football solely. We've been hearing so much about dual players in Cork yet there is little or no support for football. Sad to see a player like C O'Neill play his heart out yesterday after his honorific injuries and no great support for him and his colleagues.

Can say the same for Dublin, how many did they bring 90 mins down the road to Thurles the week before last to support the hurlers? Then again the population in Dublin is only twice the size of Corks and the journey to the game was only half what Cork supporters had.

Anonymou wrote: »
    Can say the same for Dublin, how many did they bring 90 mins down the road to Thurles the week before last to support the hurlers? Then again the population in Dublin is only twice the size of Corks and the journey to the game was only half what Cork supporters had.

To be fair there was probably more than 10 times the support for Dublin hurlers in Thurles than for Cork in Croke Park. Furthermore Dublin wouldn't be considered to be the great sporting county that Cork is, up to now anyway!

The whole Cork football issue is sad for the players really, even the GPA had to come out in defence of the players following the abuse they were getting.

To be fair there was probably more than 10 times the support for Dublin hurlers in Thurles than for Cork in Croke Park.

How many Dublin supporters were in Thurles then? I heard around 1,000-1,500?
    I honesty think people just enjoy having a pop off Cork, I don't see the big deal. People in Dublin wouldn't pay the bus fare to watch the hurlers up until they became half decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

The problem is cork footballers have always underachieved relative to the expectations of the cork football public.cork have the biggest football pick outside of dublin yet there winnings are small mainly because kerry have been able to beat us even with poorer team's and trust me there is nothing worse than leaving a match with smug kerrymen.add the fact that the hurling strong hold is city east and and football city west which also is probaly not as wealthy as the eastern side.

Advertisement