Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof scam? - Urgent help pls

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

After the winter storm they called & through a broken tile up on my garage & said i had a lot of broken tiles. I live in a estate last house a with garage so they pulled up along side of the garage & through up a broken tile on garage roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 protectcork

In the current edition 2014/2015 of the 02 area Goldenpages there are in total 12 full page advertisements representing 10 "traders" dealing in roofing and gutters. Each trader have their own phones, location address and advertising content. But amazingly all these 10 traders with full page ads are in fact connected to the same two family connected groups. So really you have to look at the smaller text ads to find an independent roofer if you want an alternative quote. Have anybody else being frustrated to find this lack of transparency in the goldenpages full page ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

My wife's friend's father was taken for €3k in this scam recently. An elderly, quiet, widowed man. English travellers pulled into his yard asked him if he wanted roof repaired. He said no, he woke up the next morning and they were starting work. He went out and told them to go away, that he had said not to do any work the day before.

They bundled him into their van and drove him to the local town and sent him into the bank to get 3K from his account. The bank official, who knew him, could see he was distressed but he was too frightened to say what was happening. He handed over the cash and they left him there. He called the guards and they said these guys had caught several other elderly people over the last few days.

These guys are dangerous scum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

okedoke wrote: »
    My wife's friend's father was taken for €3k in this scam recently. An elderly, quiet, widowed man. English travellers pulled into his yard asked him if he wanted roof repaired. He said no, he woke up the next morning and they were starting work. He went out and told them to go away, that he had said not to do any work the day before.

They bundled him into their van and drove him to the local town and sent him into the bank to get 3K from his account. The bank official, who knew him, could see he was distressed but he was too frightened to say what was happening. He handed over the cash and they left him there. He called the guards and they said these guys had caught several other elderly people over the last few days.

Bunch of scumbags :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

after last storm, i got camera out, zoomed in all over roof, and had it all in print, got a local builder to fix it, did a great job, and did not kill me on price,

the devil you know is far better than the devil you dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

okedoke wrote: »

When I get old im getting myself a shotgun because the Gardai do nothing for vunerable elderly people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Why the **** aren't the Guards locking up these scum bags?

Why are Revenue and CAB not hounding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Guards told him there was no point doing anything about it, even though they knew the family that did it. They said if they pursue them, the travellers will know it was him that got the guards involved. According to the guard, the family come over from England every year for a month before Christmas and rob a load of old people, then back to England in the new year.

The mind boggles.

Advertisement