Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lamp lax for puppy?

• 01-08-2014 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to give my puppy lamb lax mixed wit his nuts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Is it ok to give my puppy lamb lax mixed wit his nuts?

I think you are talking about Lamlac or Lamblac which is a ewe milk replacer which comes as a powder that you make up.

Again, I think you've been told this before on this forum, too much calcium for a young Rottie pup will lead to growth issues. I'd imagine Lamblac is chock full of nutrients and calcium so lambs will thrive.

If you're feeding a good complete puppy food then I don't see why you would need Lamlac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Do you mean lambs milk? If you give a good quality puppy feed there should be no need to give it. Some puppies don't tolerate it so well once they are weaned.

It is more useful to help supplement the mothers milk in younger puppies from large litters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why are you looking to give this to your puppy at this age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

My mother got a bitch last nite and its only 8weeks old and its literaly twice the size of my 11week old male . The breeder was feeding the pups nuts , raw mince and the lamb stuff so i was just wondering if it was ok . I would never give my dog raw meat tho .

Why wouldn't you give raw meat? Its very good for them.

Theres no need to feed your pup Lamb Lac. Just feed it a good quality puppy food and little and often to try and put weight on your puppy.

All depending on the breeder of your pup, your pup just might not be as good a quality/pedigree as your mothers one hence the size.

The worst thing you can do is try and feed this pup up at this young age. Slow and steady is best so don't try and pile on the weight as it will only cause issues for your pup.

• Advertisement

Raw meet is good for a pup? I read in my rottie book that they cant digest it? I give him cooked mince once a day because he is a good bit under weight. Would i be better off with raw so?

Have a look online about the Raw/Barf diet. To be honest, if I could afford it I would be feeding all of my dogs a raw diet.

Raw is much better for them than cooked as cooking takes a lot of the goodness out of the meat.

Not sure why that book would say that, but its incorrect. So many people now are choosing raw diets for their dogs as its so much healthier. But def do some reading into it.

Raw chicken wings/drumsticks etc are great for chewing on. But never ever give cooked bones to a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Different dogs are different sizes and that's perfectly ok and normal. I think it was me who already advised you to let the pup grow SLOWLY Don't pack weight and muscle onto bones that can't support it. I have first hand experience of bone deformities and wouldn't wish it on anyone else - are you in a position to crate that dog for 12+ weeks if you do damage and potentially have to limit his exercise for the rest of his life because that's the reality of it - it's not scare tactics.

As an example I followed a slow growth plan with my retriever that's recommend by American retriever clubs. I kept her lean on purpose and yes she was a bit smaller than other retrievers her age but now she's at most 1 incg shorter than my 5 year old male but is 3 KGs heaveir than him because she has bigger muscles than him.

Why would you not feed meat btw? That's what I've been feeding my pup since she was 9 weeks old and a much better option than nuts imo - I did mix the meat with good quality wet food btw to bulk out meals for the first 6 months or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

hmmmmm Rottie11 - how many dogs do you actually have???

you have a 2 year old staffie bitch (that lives with your mum), you now have a 10 week old rottie (living with you), your girlfriend has a king Charles spaniel (5 months old), your mum get a new pup last night…

you’re on boards asking silly questions even though you said you’re an experienced dog owner…. you’re going to show the dogs who’s boss, make him sit by using your hand, you don’t seem to understand all puppies play bite, you put him in a different room when he “bold”….
    you now say you wouldn’t feed your dog raw meet..

It’s just all just doesn’t add up im afraid… personally I’m thinking troll….

I never said i was giving him the lamb stuf . I was just asking if it was ok to for my moms pup . Ya i have a staffy and rottie. My gf has a king charles, my mom has a rottie and a chiwowwow (cant spell) whats your point? Is there a law against having a few dogs? Im reading one thing in books and people say otherwise

• Advertisement

I never said i was giving him the lamb stuf . I was just asking if it was ok to for my moms pup . Ya i have a staffy and rottie. My gf has a king charles, my mom has a rottie and a chiwowwow (cant spell) whats your point? Is there a law against having a few dogs? Im reading one thing in books and people say otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well you just happen to have the owner of the Irish champ Rottie giving you advise here on boards - if it was me that's who I'd be listening to ;) I've seen her dogs too and they're stunning!

Im not trying to bulk my dog up btw , i give him half cup of gain nuts 4 times a day and i mix mince with one of them

tk123 wrote: »
    Well you just happen to have the owner of the Irish champ Rottie giving you advise here on boards - if it was me that's who I'd be listening to ;) I've seen her dogs too and they're stunning!

Who , you is it?

Rottie, you asked was it ok to give it to your puppy as its smaller than your mams pup. To be honest, that milk is only really to be used on very young pups to supplement the mothers milk, so theres no need to give either your pup or your mams pup the milk at this age now as they have been weaned from their mothers long ago.

If you are feeding a good quality food and some meat too then that should be fine. Slow and steady for weight gain is the way to go.

Have you any photos of your puppy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

TBH, you said you have dogs before and your around dogs i.e. your 2 year old staffie yet you seem to know very little if anything at all about dogs… im sorry if that’s harsh but it’s the way you are coming across.

Im just in doubt that someone who has had dogs before your rottie pup could know so little and as result I think your trolling – just my opinion

Either way good luck with your pup.... and your mums pup

Who , you is it?

Em, me ;)

I own three Rottweilers, which I show and my male is a top winning dog and I have bred a litter too, so ive been there and bought the t-shirt as they say :D

Im not giving him no milk so just meat and nuts. I have photos but im using my phone to be on here , how do i put them up?

@ cocker5

I have had a lot of dogs in the past , i know i dont know everything but i have some experience . If im asking stupid questions its just me making 100% sure im doing the right thing for my dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, can I remind you that it's against the charter to call troll on other posters... If you've a problem with a post, report it instead.
    Whilst the op in this and other threads does seem to be tripping themselves up and asking a lot of questions that one might not expect from an experienced dog owner, we may give them the benefit of the doubt and try to help them on the assumption that they genuinely need help.

Now with mod hat off.
    By the same token op, you were given advice to get a good dog trainer/behaviourist in to help you with some issues you're having. I'm not sure if you've taken that advice but I think, if you had, you wouldn't have to ask many of the questions you're asking, because you'd have been able to get a qualified opinion from a qualified source (if you went with the suggestion I gave you) rather than casting about on the internet... A source of great information if you know what you're looking for, but a bloody dangerous source of "information" if you're not able to discern the truth from the quackery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement