Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iphone4 - any software to clone all data to my desktop before I sell it ?

• 01-08-2014 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have an iphone4 and want to wipe it clean, reset and sell it.

Is there any software/app or method to clone all data to my desktop before I sell it ? I am talking about making a snapshot of the whole thing so that if I ever needed to reference or prove a conversation with someone etc at a later date then I could.

Does anybody have any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Make a backup with iTunes. You can get different tools to extract the data from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

back up in iTunes and then restore as new Phone

Every still there for you and Phone will be clean as a whistle

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Thanks.

I do not plan to get another iphone. Will I still be able to retain this data indefinitely ? Will the data be stored locally on my laptop ? Can it be moved easily from laptop to laptop as I upgrade in the future ?

For clarification , do I still need to have an iphone to read and access this data after I back it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks.

I do not plan to get another iphone. Will I still be able to retain this data indefinitely ? Will the data be stored locally on my laptop ? Can it be moved easily from laptop to laptop as I upgrade in the future ?

It will be a little bit more tricky if you're not going to put it on another iPhone. Can you break down what types of info you need to retain? (Music/contacts/messages etc.) Knowing this would make it easier to advise while you still have the phone.

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    It will be a little bit more tricky if you're not going to put it on another iPhone. Can you break down what types of info you need to retain? (Music/contacts/messages etc.) Knowing this would make it easier to advise while you still have the phone.

Basically all of the sms , whats app, comm , tango and viber etc messages. Whatever happens to be in there. Mostly just sms types of commuinications.

I have messages on there from someone that I dont want to lose for sentimental reasons but I dearly need a phone upgrade for both my sanity and practical reasons and cant afford not to sell the one I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You can probably extract the SMS easily enough from an iOS backup but stuff like whatsapp isn't so easy. I don't even know if that's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Yeah, stuff like whatsapp will be difficult. You could forward the messages individually to your email account.

Zcott wrote: »
    You can probably extract the SMS easily enough from an iOS backup but stuff like whatsapp isn't so easy. I don't even know if that's possible.

how do I extract information from an IOS backup ? how do I even locate the backup file ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

how do I extract information from an IOS backup ? how do I even locate the backup file ?

Have a look at this: http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »

I hoped to find a cheaper or free way to do it . But Thanks, I'll check out the trial version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Have you looked at iExplorer?

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Basically all of the sms , whats app, comm , tango and viber etc messages. Whatever happens to be in there. Mostly just sms types of commuinications.

I have messages on there from someone that I dont want to lose for sentimental reasons but I dearly need a phone upgrade for both my sanity and practical reasons and cant afford not to sell the one I have.

I know that WhatsApp messages can be backed up in your WhatsApp account:

Settings> Chat Settings> Backup Conversations. Once you go into WhatsApp on another phone, and enter your details you'll be asked if you want to restore those. In the same menu there's a "Email conversations" option, so you'll have them e-mailed to you, but I don't think that'll save them as a backup/restore.

I'd look for similar options in other apps as well.

Be aware though that MAYBE if you backup all data on an iPhone 4 and go to restore on newer models, it might not be compatible with the OS. I know that's an Android issue but not sure about Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im i nthe market for an iphone 4. how much are you selling for?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im i nthe market for an iphone 4. how much are you selling for?

I just picked up a HTC and am only thinking about the price now.

Probably somewhere between 200 and 250 I guess. Probably I'd start asking at 220. It's only been dropped once and that was on the first day it was bought :o lol. So it works fine for what it is and has had a case since then. I'm not trying to sell it to you. I'm sure someone will make a bid on it once I upload an advert.

I got the HTC today so now begins the stress of backing up as much data as I can from the iphone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I just picked up a HTC and am only thinking about the price now.

Probably somewhere between 200 and 250 I guess. Probably I'd start asking at 220. It's only been dropped once and that was on the first day it was bought :o lol. So it works fine for what it is and has had a case since then. I'm not trying to sell it to you. I'm sure someone will make a bid on it once I upload an advert.

I got the HTC today so now begins the stress of backing up as much data as I can from the iphone...

Don't want to rain on your parade but that price range is 4S territory. You'd be looking in the region of 150 i'd say.

dodzy wrote: »
    Don't want to rain on your parade but that price range is 4S territory. You'd be looking in the region of 150 i'd say.

I expect some buyers to have your attitude ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

dodzy wrote: »

youre right. most youll get is 150 if youre patient. i decided i want a 4S seeing as its dual core and will support ios8 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

OP I'm fairly sure you can email whatsapp conversations.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    youre right. most youll get is 150 if youre patient. i decided i want a 4S seeing as its dual core and will support ios8 too.

I just sold it for 180 Euro. After 10 minutes of searching online I luckily found someone in my area who wanted one. I cant lie about squat so told him why I was unhappy with it ... phone works as expected with no nasty surprises but power cables tend to break and need regular replacement , IOS upgrade made it slower etc but he insisted I take his money as it was shiny and well looked after.
    It's a bit like the property bubble. If you don't own a house you want them to be worthless and vice versa ;)

• Advertisement

OP I'm fairly sure you can email whatsapp conversations.

I managed to backup both whatsapp and viber thanks.

Not that I will ever read most of it again but if my crazy and unfaithful ex girlfriend ever misquotes me about anything I have a very lengthy days long conversation to refer to...lol. Hopefully I never see her again. It's the kind of stuff you archive and forget about.

Advertisement