Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-resident travel insurance

Options
  • 01-08-2014 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hopefully someone has come across this before or maybe its just me looking in all the wrong places.

Taking a holiday over to NZ soon and looking to get travel insurance for obvious reasons (to include winter sports) but all the australian companies i have looked at say you have to be an australian resident for them to insure you? Im on a 457, does this mean i'll have to go through an irish company for insurance because that seems a bit ridiculous?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

can be difficult to find one alright.

I use travelinsuranz.com.au - the cover is basic enough but gives me some peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Thanks for that. I didnt come across them before, pretty reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Being a resident isn't the same as a permanent resident. You are resident when you are in residence in australia, as opposed to holiday/travel.
    A "permanent resident" is a specific immigration/visa term.

You can be resident on a WHV or a 457 (temporary residence). As when resident for tax purposes, or lawful residence for immigration purposes.

Obviously, if they specifically ask for PR it's a different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Being a resident isn't the same as a permanent resident. You are resident when you are in residence in australia, as opposed to holiday/travel.
    A "permanent resident" is a specific immigration/visa term.

You can be resident on a WHV or a 457 (temporary residence). As when resident for tax purposes, or lawful residence for immigration purposes.

Obviously, if they specifically ask for PR it's a different situation.

From experience most organisations tend to ask if your are an 'Australian Resident' rather than are you a 'Resident' or 'Permanent Resident'

If you look at Comlaw under the Commonwealth Consolidated Acts for various laws.
    Australian residence definitions
    (1) In this Act, unless the contrary intention appears:

"Australian resident" has the meaning given by subsection (2).
    (2) An Australian resident is a person who:

(a) resides in Australia; and

(b) is one of the following:

(i) an Australian citizen;

(ii) the holder of a permanent visa;

(iii) a special category visa holder who is a protected SCV holder.

Note: For holder and permanent visa see subsection (1).

There's also 'Usually Resident' which is where you live but is obviously different to the above.
    Usually resident

The place that a person is 'usually resident' is decided taking into account their physical residence (where the person eats, sleeps, has a home) and the person's intention to make that place their home.

It all depends on what they ask.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    From experience most organisations tend to ask if your are an 'Australian Resident' rather than are you a 'Resident' or 'Permanent Resident'
    Cheers for that. Good to have something official on both phrases.
    I would have assume "australian resident" was equivalent to saying PR.
    But if they said resident of australia, it's simply the second usage they are refering to, usually resident.

For example, NRMA phrase it as "do you live in Australia" when applying.
    And the PDS states;
    It is a condition of this policy that:

• You are a resident of Australia and will be returning to Your Home at the completion of the Period Of Insurance and within 18 months of the Journey commencing.
    It all depends on what they ask.
    Absolutely. Always double check the provider. It may well require PR. I just felt that the OP might have thought conditions like the above refered to PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Good to have something official on both phrases.
    I would have assume "australian resident" was equivalent to saying PR.
    But if they said resident of australia, it's simply the second usage they are refering to, usually resident.

Australian Resident, Resident and Permanent Resident would to most Australians and businesses mean the same thing.

If you were on a 417, 457 or student visa then you are not a resident in terms of what a resident means (ie. an Australian Resident) but it simply means your place of usual residence might just be Australia where you might live, work and for tax purposes pay tax.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you were on a 417, 457 or student visa then you are not a resident in terms of what a resident means (ie. an Australian Resident) but it simply means your place of usual residence might just be Australia where you might live, work and for tax purposes pay tax.

When I was getting insurance for combat sports on my 457 they asked was I a resident. I explained said I was a temporary resident, on a 457 visa. ie I currently live in australia. They said that was fine for their purposes. Other companies may obviously differ.

Advertisement