Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrage Threads.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

kneemos wrote: »
    Or ranting and raving about the latest court case where the "right sentence"wasn't given.

Don't get why these are allowed.I had the impression threads were supposed to be for the purpose of a discussion,all I see is a long line of the same very tired cliche responses.Even when posters point out the reason for the sentencing it's ignored and quickly returns to the cliched responses.

If you are getting sufficiently annoyed by certain threads to take the time to request that they be banned, you are probably spending too long reading them.

If you've read it all before, move on and read something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Calhoun wrote: »
    If you don't like the nature of AH, don't post there but i would hate for it to be ruined because one poster doesn't agree with how people are raging.

"Don't like it, don't post there" is a rather facile suggestion given we're posting in the Feedback forum.

I've been here as long as you and must say, IMO of course, that AH is already ruined. It went from being a place for general chat to something like a cross between Thunderdome and CN. But still, it's the only forum on the site where you can get a general feel on topics without having to be an expert or heavily invested in them.

And being here so long, my patience for such threads has just started to wear out. Seeing the same responses over and over with any attempt to disagree resulting in rolleyes and snarky comments is too tedious to deal with any more.
    Why don't you create a thread in AH on the judicial system, maybe change peoples minds that way?

I think we all know how that would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

"Don't like it, don't post there" is a rather facile suggestion given we're posting in the Feedback forum.

I've been here as long as you and must say, IMO of course, that AH is already ruined. It went from being a place for general chat to something like a cross between Thunderdome and CN. But still, it's the only forum on the site where you can get a general feel on topics without having to be an expert or heavily invested in them.

And being here so long, my patience for such threads has just started to wear out. Seeing the same responses over and over with any attempt to disagree resulting in rolleyes and snarky comments is too tedious to deal with any more.

I think we all know how that would go.

Well considering that the feedback goes against the general nature of a forum I don't know what I am to say. If I took a stance of wanting every thread repeated banned or closed what would be left of ah.

Being around so long it follows the same pattern, threads on the north, threads on Poppy Day, threads on weird sexual incidents , threads on people being stingy, threads on disagreement of a certain law being past, you get where I am going here.

If I want to be an old crank I probably would have issues with them all but I choose just to ignore them because if you have been posting as long as I have ( or reading ) you know things come in cycles and as new members join topics repeat.

I agree with how it's changed, as I have said on this many times before it's also a soft platform for political changes / ideas but I think banning repeat posts would be a step too far. People moaning about judicial decisions is IMO general discussion so it still exists.

We do know how it would end as it's not the law forum, it's not politics , it's AH it's too much general discussion for the serious discussion the op wants.

So yah as I said. If you don't like it then don't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Here's a mad idea...

Instead of worrying about people ranting and raving about the same issues over and over on AH, why not go to a forum where that particular topic is the sole focus and start a discussion there. If you're not too savvy on the subject, say say and tell the locals that you're looking to learn more by way of discussion (I like to think that anyone who says "I don't know, can you tell me more?" is someone who's damn smart). You won't have as many people reading it, that's true, but the essence of what you're saying is that you're looking for something different and we already have it.

I would respectfully suggest that 95% of AH threads have a forum dedicated to that topic here on Boards, but through various reasons, few of them good, the forum was allowed to grow into a "catch all" for people who felt like they couldn't or shouldn't intrude on another community of people (which is mostly nonsense I can assure you, any smart and sane community wants to keep its doors open or it dies).

Try it, see how you get on, you might be surprised.

Advertisement