Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selle Italia Gel saddles - any feedback?

• 01-08-2014 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

hi all,
    have had a Selle Italia X1 saddle on the bike since new. while i found it hard at the beginning i did "break" it in and had thought it was comfortable for nearly 6 months. But lately it been annoying and chafing me a bit.

While i like the shape of the X1, would the C2 (chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/selle-italia-c2-gel-flow-saddle/rp-prod21960) or the Max Flite (wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-max-flite-gel-flow-saddle/) be similar saddles with a little more gel?

I have Santini and Castelli shorts which have good padding.

is there any Selle Italia agents in Ireland that one could try a test saddle or get fitted for one?

i have tried all the Fizik saddles (VS and non-VS) but i don't find them comfortable. I also tried a SMP Condor saddle but no good either. I think i need some "gel" or a bit of softness! :-)

any recommendations would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Try some Chamois cream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Borderfox wrote: »
    Try some Chamois cream?

always use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

has your seatign position changed for any reason ?
    Weird for it to be good and then start to annoy. I would have expected the other way round

it started to annoy me on one spin so i changed it to Fizik Aliante VS test saddle but that was as bad. i might check its position again but im just finding it hard on the ass as well now so was thinking of something softer. I have a Selle Royal Viper on my winter bike, which i love, so it might change it over if i can't "rebreak" in the X1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Have you measured your sit bones etc? I only recently found the saddle that works for me. At 40+ km pain used to set in, now I have no pain after measurning sit bones and spending time trawling through saddles.

• Advertisement

the Viper is 145mm wide and the X1 Flow is 136mm so ill get the sit bones measured to see. the Charge Spoon is 140 mm so that could be an option or else just stick with what i know best... the Viper. there is a 2nd hand one on adverts which might be best to pick up.

You can measure your own sit bones with a piece of think card board and a piece of chalk. Just sit on stairs with your feet on the step directly below the one you are sitting on so your knees are slightly up. Then get up and using the chalk on its side shade in the two round holes left by your sit bones.

Once shaded, located the centre of each circle and measure the distance between each. Your saddle should be around 20-30mm more than your measurement.

measured up the sit bones with tin foil on a leather chair and i am 130mm so +20/30mm gives me a saddle width of 150mm to 160mm.... way off the X1 Flow @ 136mm!
    i was thinking of buying a Specialized Romin Evo Expert Gel Saddle
    evanscycles.com/products/specialized/romin-evo-expert-gel-saddle-ec054429 but might look for a test one or 2nd hand one somewhere.

markusz wrote: »
    measured up the sit bones with tin foil on a leather chair and i am 130mm so +20/30mm gives me a saddle width of 150mm to 160mm.... way off the X1 Flow @ 136mm!
    i was thinking of buying a Specialized Romin Evo Expert Gel Saddle
    evanscycles.com/products/specialized/romin-evo-expert-gel-saddle-ec054429 but might look for a test one or 2nd hand one somewhere.

Yeah so you should be looking at a saddle minimum 155. So the Romin would be a good fit so to speak. For 81 euro you would if at all possible be best trying to test it before buying. In saying that my sit bones are only about 108-110 and I just bit the bullet and went for a http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prologo-scratch-pro-tirox-saddle/rp-prod112231 at 134mm. Best thing I have bought in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My sit bones are 110mm approx but I went for a Prologo Kappa EVO PAS which is 143mm wide but curved so actual sit area is narrower. I've had it a year now and find it ultra comfortable. I went through 4 different saddles before settling on it. Have one on both my bikes now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement