Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax fine for not displaying disc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Where did he say he was parked illegally?
    And also, he didnt drive a month without tax - he paid the arrears.

Sometimes the high horse brigade in some elements of this forum is really tedious.

Well, as the car was not displaying a tax disc it was by definition parked illegally, but I was also referring to the two parking tickets the OP also received.

Secondly, the OP did indeed drive for a month without tax. Subsequently paying the arrears does not change the physically reality of that simple fact.

Stating facts has nothing to do with a high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Send a Registered letter to the local authority that issued the ticket for no disc displayed, appealing the matter.

Include in it a copy of your disc, any other proof that you had paid the for teh disc before the day you were ticketed.

Keep a copy of all of that, Let it go to a summons, on the day in court it'll be struck out.

Legally, you were in the wrong, but in court, things like this are often dismissed if the documentation was in order.

Happens a lot with ppl that dont present their insurance and drivers licence at garda stations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

corktina wrote: »
    well he did ask for advice. What do you want people to do? Not give advice unless it's what someone wants to hear?
    Thing is, it is an offence not to display a disc and it makes no difference at all whether you have one in the post or not. there is no period of grace. This is born out by the fact he has already appealed and been turned down.

He asked for advice. Not the motor forum "I'm so great, look at meeeee" mullarkey.
    Should he let it go to court? Not in my opinion. He should pay up.

How would it be helping him to say "Yes go to court, they shouldn't have ticketed you" when clearly the ticket was correctly issued.?

Who has told him to risk going to court with this? I said to send in an appeal in a timely manner before his fines would possibly increase.

I'm happy to hear that you have never met a warden. I've met a few, both sound (and I even say that about a few who have ticketed me on occasion) and jobsworths (one particular one in Galway hops to mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fey! wrote: »
    Also, forget about the people who say "oh, you were driving illegally" and so on; this forum tends to attract a class of people who never do anything wrong. You had your arrears and your tax paid, so don't bother getting into a sniping match with them by replying to them.

The OP was driving illegally. Are you disputing this fact? Or do you not like to hear it pointed out?

I do the same myself; my tax expired at the end of last month and I only paid it yesterday so for the next few days until the disc arrives I will be driving around illegally also. **** happens, but if I get caught and fined I wont be coming on here looking for ways to avoid the fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You were driving the car for over a month without tax

Where did he say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Jesus. wrote: »
    Where did he say that?
    Jesus H Christ :P
    In the OP

Sometimes the high horse brigade in some elements of this forum is really tedious.

I actually find them very servile. They're so far up the Government's/authorities Aras, they could suck Michael D off while they're up there :)

Jesus H Christ :P
    In the OP

He said in the OP he hadn't paid the last month's tax but he didn't say he was driving the car.

He then said this when challenged about it, which I take to mean he was on holiday and wasn't driving the car:
    To clarify I wasnt riding, was on holiday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

OP, you get caught and there is not much you can achieve in court. Especially whe it was over a month.

I was late on occasions, too (not that much, but still) but if caught there was nothing in my defence (well I was either lazy, or had no money). None of this would work in court. You end up with more money to pay in worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You didn't have a tax disc and you got caught.

I guess you can try and wangle your way out of it but don't be too upset about it if you have to pay since its only a fine.

• Advertisement

It's a stupid fine IMO
    The sooner we move to a paperless (more reliable) system like in the UK the better. Then we'll know electronically who's paid their tax and who hasn't

listermint wrote: »
    In my experience, I have not met a nice parking warden in this country in my life. I used to travel alot doing service work. And had the displeasure of seeing these guys and gals in action. Its not the fact that its their job, Its just I have witnessed the sheer glee in their faces writing tickets for cars. Every single one ive met is militant and takes alot of pleasure in what they do. Must be nice for them i suppose.

Just like a few on here. You can feel the pleasure they get from laying into someone over a Mickey Mouse offence.

Buckety Buck's annoyance at Pretty Boy getting off parking fines on the last page was funny.

Its all very weird!

I've never met a warden , but then I pay my tax and park legally

A pat on the head from the Minister (as he racks up his expense account in a 5-Star hotel and laughs with his rich mates in similar circles who robbed the Country blind) winding its way to you now. :rolleyes:

Just like a few on here. You can feel the pleasure they get from laying into someone over a Mickey Mouse offence.

Buckety Buck's annoyance at Pretty Boy getting off parking fines on the last page was funny.

Its all very weird!

We are all perfect, you know. We are never late with anything, we always indicate and never speed. We also pay motor tax 2 years in advance and service our cars every 2 months. We are like the Jesus of motoring. But, unlike him, we never forgive:D

It's a stupid fine IMO
    The sooner we move to a paperless (more reliable) system like in the UK the better. Then we'll know electronically who's paid their tax and who hasn't

Yeh, they should just do it off the plate and then use ANPR to send automated fines to all the owners who haven't paid and haven't declared off the road.

Yeh, they should just do it off the plate and then use ANPR to send automated fines to all the owners who haven't paid and haven't declared off the road.

Sounds like a good idea. Too good to happen.

What I don't like about the Irish system is they copy the UK one, then remove all the best bits and leave the crap ones.

There is an electronic system in place, but it is only used to make payments. Gardai still looking at the pieces of paper on the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

High horse brigade in full swing I see. All OP wanted to know could he get out of paying the fine. All I see is smart high horse answers.

Unfortunately OP u cant really get out of it. Tis a pain allright. Maybe worth giving them a ring and see but very doubtful.

Its all very weird!
    Indeed.
    I actually find them very servile. They're so far up the Government's/authorities Aras, they could suck Michael D off while they're up there :)
    A pat on the head from the Minister (as he racks up his expense account in a 5-Star hotel and laughs with his rich mates in similar circles who robbed the Country blind) winding its way to you now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

They would have done well to just copy the UK system. It's very sucessful

They would have done well to just copy the UK system. It's very sucessful

Or the Dutch System, I just get a giro in the post, open the banking app on my phone and take a picture of the giro, paid instantly.

No crap on the windscreen

If you think Ireland is bad, Germany is completely ass backwards in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

If you think Ireland is bad, Germany is completely ass backwards in comparison.

How does the German system work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Dowl88 wrote: »
    High horse brigade in full swing I see. All OP wanted to know could he get out of paying the fine. All I see is smart high horse answers.

Unfortunately OP u cant really get out of it. Tis a pain allright. Maybe worth giving them a ring and see but very doubtful.

He's already appealed and been rejected. Shame you didn't read the thread before slagging us all off as HH jockeys.

He's already appealed and been rejected. Shame you didn't read the thread before slagging us all off as HH jockeys.

Okay

Dowl88 wrote: »
    High horse brigade in full swing I see. All OP wanted to know could he get out of paying the fine.

Indeed. One guy tells us that if someone told him a way to avoid paying a fine he'd still go ahead and pay it!

djimi wrote: »
    The OP was driving illegally. Are you disputing this fact? Or do you not like to hear it pointed out?I do the same myself; my tax expired at the end of last month and I only paid it yesterday so for the next few days until the disc arrives I will be driving around illegally also. **** happens, but if I get caught and fined I wont be coming on here looking for ways to avoid the fine.

Indeed. One guy tells us that if someone told him a way to avoid paying a fine he'd still go ahead and pay it!

Lol

That's not what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I see Jesus is referring to me there? I knew there was a reason I put them on ignore...

djimi wrote: »
    I see Jesus is referring to me there? I knew there was a reason I put them on ignore...
    What a mature retort :)

Try reading for comprehension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

This forum has really gone to the dogs lately. Every thread seems to degenerate into pointless sniping and pedantry. Such a shame as there are some good contributors.

And please spare me the "if you don't like it don't read it" retort. Its hard to avoid when its on every thread.

Advertisement