Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax fine for not displaying disc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Bio Mech wrote: »
    This forum has really gone to the dogs lately. Every thread seems to degenerate into pointless sniping and pedantry. Such a shame as there are some good contributors.

And please spare me the "if you don't like it don't read it" retort. Its hard to avoid when its on every thread.

The main problem is that half of the posts are about fines, gosafe vans and cheap insurance. They are part of the motoring forum, but there are very few posts about actual cars these days. Some posters react in this way to the very same threads popping up every few hours.

Not looking for an excuse, but this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wonski wrote: »
    The main problem is that half of the posts are about fines, gosafe vans and cheap insurance. They are part of the motoring forum, but there are very few posts about actual cars these days. Some posters react in this way to the very same threads popping up every few hours.

Not looking for an excuse, but this makes sense.

The actual car ones are moved into 'buying' Boooo. two clicks away from luxobarge :(

Anyway OT .

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

This forum has really gone to the dogs lately. Every thread seems to degenerate into pointless sniping and pedantry. Such a shame as there are some good contributors.

And please spare me the "if you don't like it don't read it" retort. Its hard to avoid when its on every thread.
    Yeah, it's really gone downhill since March of this year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Make no mistake, it originates from both sides. On one side it's the "ah sure be grand, don't mind the high horse brigade(a lazy retort that's all too common) and the "shame on you, deserve to get hammered for your mistake". It's a blight to the forum as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Yeah, it's really gone downhill since March of this year ;)

:) Yes when I deleted my old user account which I had since 2009 and set up this one. I was reborn but with the knowledge of my past life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The main problem is that half of the posts are about fines, gosafe vans and cheap insurance.

The main problem is that half the posts are about breaking the law and trying to find a way out of paying the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The main problem is that half the posts are about breaking the law and trying to find a way out of paying the consequences.

Even posting about the constant bickering leads to more bickering. Anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The problem is the reply is usually about teaching them some sort of moral internet lesson, when actually they could just not reply or give some decent advice.

Some people on the internet be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Taking Each post at a time. They are the INTERNET CRUSADERS.. yeaaaaarrrrrrrrr

The_Crusades_Wallpaper_y3q4c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

djimi wrote: »
    I see Jesus is referring to me there? I knew there was a reason I put them on ignore...

Ignoring Jesus? Feckin' Heathen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jesus. wrote: »
    Ignoring Jesus? Feckin' Heathen

I switched to the other crowd. They have a dedidcated switching team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

The Country is divided into two distinct groups (not the geographical ones this time).

Type 1. I did something wrong through ignorance/laziness/on purpose and now someone who is employed to do some detecting/enforcement has ruined my day and how dare they? How do I get out of it ?
    The funny thing is they want to use concessions in the law to escape obeying the law.... Ironic

Type 2. law abiding citizens who pay their way but, when incurred, pay the fines knowing that that's the system and it exists for that very purpose - to penalise wrongdoing. And when type 1s come along type 2s get very energised because they see red at the injustice.

In the Ireland of today the stick rather than a carrot prevails and for good reason.

I switched to the other crowd. They have a dedidcated switching team :D
    The other crowd?
    Our Dawkins, who art not in heaven
    Hallowed be thy name...

etc :P

There's a lot to be said for Dawkinsism :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We are all perfect, you know. We are never late with anything, we always indicate and never speed. We also pay motor tax 2 years in advance and service our cars every 2 months. We are like the Jesus of motoring. But, unlike him, we never forgive:D

Its nothing to do with being perfect. Its about whinging when caught and feeling like the laws don't apply.

Flout laws all you like, we all do, but the difference is that certain people feel they should be let away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

He made a mistake, whats with the criticism. Looking for a way to get out of a fine. Nothing wrong with that.

High horses in full throttle on this thread.

Do you all act like this in your workplace? Assuming ye do work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I got one of those before while parked in a CIE car park. Which I thought would be private ground since it's managed by the national private clamping company but apparently it isnt. This was close enough to D4, where people still have a lot of faith in the system, the government and the politicians who drink our wine and give nothing in return. Kind of caught me by surprise cause where i'm from these see you next tuesdays who would actually bother to fine someone for an out of date tax disc are few and far between. Well there is 1 or two of them, but you can see (and smell them) from a mile away

Dowl88 wrote: »
    He made a mistake, whats with the criticism. Looking for a way to get out of a fine. Nothing wrong with that.

High horses in full throttle on this thread.

Do you all act like this in your workplace? Assuming ye do work?

Actually no, I don't tolerate that bullshit attitude at my workplace. Far too many people in this country want to be chancers, cutting corners instead of doing their jobs right then trying to find some loophole to get away with crappy performance. I call them on it and make them do their ****ing jobs right.

They are of course the same type of people that let their tax run out or park illegally and think nothing of it. Some people just have that mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Actually no, I don't tolerate that bullshit attitude at my workplace. Far too many people in this country want to be chancers, cutting corners instead of doing their jobs right then trying to find some loophole to get away with crappy performance. I call them on it and make them do their ****ing jobs right.

They are of course the same type of people that let their tax run out or park illegally and think nothing of it. Some people just have that mentality.

What mentality is that exactly? Do you think your better than other people? If you worked in my office you'd be fired in a week with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    First hand experience with this one.

If you go into your local council office with the tax up to date and showing payment of arrears they should cancel the fine.

Yes you were done for non display but in my experience it wasn't brought up they cancelled it once I produced the relevant info.

This happened to me. Only difference was traffic warden told me to hand in my tax disc when it arrived to the local tax office straight away, ask them to photocopy it and I'll strike it out . I never heard from fine again .

Dowl88 wrote: »
    What mentality is that exactly? Do you think your better than other people? If you worked in my office you'd be fired in a week with that attitude.

Sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

djimi wrote: »
    The offense is not displaying a valid tax disc; I dont believe that there is any grace period for this, but perhaps someone can show otherwise.

My traffic warden has never done that , and ive been out for upto a year.

Actually no, I don't tolerate that bullshit attitude at my workplace. Far too many people in this country want to be chancers, cutting corners instead of doing their jobs right then trying to find some loophole to get away with crappy performance. I call them on it and make them do their ****ing jobs right.They are of course the same type of people that let their tax run out or park illegally and think nothing of it. Some people just have that mentality.

Others have a totally self-righteous and hypocritical attitude.

Tell me, if you got a bill or a fine in the post and you just happened to be talking to a guy and he told you a loophole you could use, simply and easily and totally legally, and you wouldn't have to pay that fine, would you honestly still go ahead and pay it?

Still more, are you actually telling us that you've never done anything to help yourself out of a very minor sticky situation when the opportunity presented itself, in your entire life?

BTW, how do you think your "cross your T's and dot your I's" way of life (not that I believe it for a second actually) is viewed by those in power who've bled this Country of billions compared to Joe Soap who manages to find a legal way of getting off a 120 euro taffic ticket?

What?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Fair enough if they had been littering, otherwise it's despicable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Secondly, the OP did indeed drive for a month without tax. Subsequently paying the arrears does not change the physically reality of that simple fact.

Stating facts has nothing to do with a high horse.

No he/she didnt drive it for a month, he/she has already stated that they were on holidays and thats why it wasn't paid, shove that up your high horse

billie1b wrote: »
    No he/she didnt drive it for a month, he/she has already stated that they were on holidays and thats why it wasn't paid, shove that up your high horse

Did you hear that Cleve? :p

Jesus. wrote: »
    Did you hear that Cleve? :p

I don't think I could sit on a high horse anyway :pac:
    I'll take my american't everyday of the week. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I can't reach my High Horse to shove anything up it...too High

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement