Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax fine for not displaying disc

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

This post has been deleted.

I presume you're a traffic warden Fred. I never knew you could fine someone for tearing up a document.

You sure you haven't been breaking your precious laws yourself?
    I got a couple of parking tickets a few years ago, they went straight in the nearest bin
    I used to get that occasionally. I would then write them a €150 fine for littering and post it to them. That softens the hardest rebels cough quickly.

How did you fine someone 150 quid for putting something in the bin? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

But he said he put it in the bin :confused:

• Advertisement

Nope. You quoted PrettyBoy's post below:
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    The high horse brigade won't appreciate this but if a parking warden gave me a ticket for non-display of tax I'd laugh at him and throw the ticket away before getting in the car. Not a hope I'd be paying €120, especially if I had a valid disc.

I got a couple of parking tickets a few years ago, they went straight in the nearest bin, I got a letter a few weeks later and ignored it. Four years later and nothing's ever come of either of them.

Just my experience :)

And then you said this:

So you used to get people throwing fines in the bin occasionally and you would "write them a E 150 fine for littering and post it to them"

You reckon "That softens the hardest rebels cough quickly"???

I'm sure it does :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Fair enough Freddie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

I have yet to taste any medicine from disposing of fines from wardens/council. And I've incurred several fines. Was pretty hard going ignoring the red lettered warnings though, I will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Who said anything about tearing up fines and throwing them on the ground :confused:

A traffic warden on a power trip? Surely not :rolleyes: Nothing has ever come of any fine that I've binned Fred - absolutely nothing. If I were you I'd refrain from telling people about what "power" you have and what you can do with it, you sound absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Start a petition to lobby Irish government to follow the UK government with abolition of the tax disc - the change will apply in Britain (not sure about N. Ireland) from this October.

I suppose that a necessary precondition would be the rollout of more number plate recognition cameras to the Gardai and perhaps Customs & Excise. At the backend, I don't know how the Department of the Environment's IT systems for driver and vehicle licensing compares with that of the UK's DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

The entire system is unnecessarily cumbersome.

Maybe you buy tax.
    maybe you display it correctly.
    maybe you're waiting for up to date tax to arrive.
    maybe curious offspring removes disc and eats it.
    maybe a guard will stop you for tax, maybe even challenge you, maybe you have a good excuse , maybe you have your car seized? maybe you get off in court....

Maybe some day the clampers will have power to put the boot in to your untaxed vehicle. And not release till you've paid!

Never mind all that. Here's how to do it - load the extra duty onto the one thing everyone can't avoid - fuel.

Everyone pays and pays per engine efficiency/capacity/luxuriness etc.

And don't say it can't be done......... it works in the southern hemisphere..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Start a petition to lobby Irish government to follow the UK government with abolition of the tax disc - the change will apply in Britain (not sure about N. Ireland) from this October.

I suppose that a necessary precondition would be the rollout of more number plate recognition cameras to the Gardai and perhaps Customs & Excise. At the backend, I don't know how the Department of the Environment's IT systems for driver and vehicle licensing compares with that of the UK's DVLA.

the tax disc in the UK is only going in certain circumstances...particularly where a monthly ddm is in place. It's possible to do this because they have a computer system that knows what cars are not taxed. We don't have this, we are light years behind in enforcment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Hi,

I think that there's a bit of balance required here. In any job it requires you to work at what you are paid for. In this case, what was the warden to do? Was there even a reference number dispalyed in the disc holder and an explanatory note to say it's being purchased online?

if my job was to ensure that valid up to date discs were to be displayed and I saw one 6 weeks out of date I'd do the same.

I have no sympathy when it comes to this I'm afraid.

Yeah, whatever. This happened to me, I rang the local county council offices who run the wardens and it was knocked on the head. I still had to pay the parking fine though.

Advertisement