Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City V Dundalk FC- Airtricity League title showdown

• 01-08-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

This game deserves a thread of it's own. Dundalk on top with 49 points from 21 games played and Cork in second with 46 points from 21 games. Dundalk haven't lost a league game since way back in April while Cork are unbeaten at home this season. Something's got to give (either that or it will be a draw)

We've spanked Cork the last two times we've played them but it should be a lot closer this evening given Cork have home advantage and a loss could spell the end of their impressive title challenge (I'm amazed they are still up there, was sure they'd fall away).

This Dundalk side have been talked up as the one of the best teams the town has ever seen but need to win something to etch their names in history. We haven't won the league since 1995 and it's nine years since Cork last won it.

Game is on live on Setanta Sports at 8. Two buses going down and I'm sure a good few are making their own way to Cork so I'd guess maybe 200-300 Dundalk fans will make the trip. Excitement building. Win this game and we are well and truly in the driving seat thanks to our hugely superior goal difference. Draw will do nicely though.

Cork are 12/5, Dundalk 21/10 and the draw is 12/5.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

For us its a "must not lose", but realistically its a must win.

Even with a draw, we are still 3 points off Dundalk whose goal difference is massively better than ours, and we have to go to Oriel last day. So we would be wanting Dundalk to drop points in 2 more games that what we do in the last 11.

Looking forward to it and a 2-0 for CCFC will do just fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

gimmick wrote: »
    For us its a "must not lose", but realistically its a must win.

Even with a draw, we are still 3 points off Dundalk whose goal difference is massively better than ours, and we have to go to Oriel last day. So we would be wanting Dundalk to drop points in 2 more games that what we do in the last 11.

Looking forward to it and a 2-0 for CCFC will do just fine :)
    A tiny tiny part of me is hoping that the Dundalk V Cork game on the last day of the season will be a proper title decider with the winner taking all. Atmosphere would be unreal. However, I would much prefer for it to be all wrapped up by then to save myself a possible heart attack.

Tough week ahead for Dundalk after a very busy July (seven games last month). We have three games in the next seven days with Cork tonight, league cup semi final on Monday and a Louth derby in Drogheda next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Looks like there could be the bones of 6,000 at this game tonight. Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I reckon Dundalk will shade it. Is towell playing?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I reckon Dundalk will shade it. Is towell playing?
    Yes. He got a yellow last week (on purpose I think) and he will miss Mondays League Cup Semi final.

Possible Dundalk first X1: Cherrie, Gannon, Boyle, Gartland, Massey, Towell, Shields, Horgan, Byrne, Meenan, Hoban.

I'd imagine Meenan is the only one out of that eleven who potentially might not start. Mountney could get in instead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cork have been very impressive this season and have been unfairly written off by most observers. I do think that Dundalk are the best team but Cork are up there challenging on merit.
    Could be a cracker tonight. I'd take a draw right now but a Dundalk win puts massive pressure on everybody else as Dundalk can afford to drop points in the last series of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

frimpong wrote: »
    Looks like there could be the bones of 6,000 at this game tonight. Should be a cracker.

Ya its pretty much a sell out by all accounts.

Weather is perfect for football on Leeside too, warm, not really sunny and the odd short shower.

Should be brilliant down the Cross tonight.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Cork have been very impressive this season and have been unfairly written off by most observers. I do think that Dundalk are the best team but Cork are up there challenging on merit.
    Could be a cracker tonight. I'd take a draw right now but a Dundalk win puts massive pressure on everybody else as Dundalk can afford to drop points in the last series of games.
    I've only seen them play three times this season and they were average to poor in all three games. Obviously they are better than what I've seen given their impressive home record. Wonder if Gaynor will come in for his debut this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Is this match on the Telly ?

21/25

^ Setanta
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya its pretty much a sell out by all accounts.

Weather is perfect for football on Leeside too, warm, not really sunny and the odd short shower.

Should be brilliant down the Cross tonight.

Its not and wont be a sell out. If people show up there will be tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

It is on Setanta at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    I've only seen them play three times this season and they were average to poor in all three games. Obviously they are better than what I've seen given their impressive home record. Wonder if Gaynor will come in for his debut this evening?

I think all Dundalk supporters would agree that we have been outstanding this season and Cork are only three points behind, so they must be doing something right. If both teams play as well as they can Dundalk will win but if Dundalk don't play well or start slow Cork can get something from this game. The leagues best attack against the leagues best defence, something has to give.
    It's like Hulk Hogan Vs Andre the giant in wrestlemania 3. If we can scoop slam Cork we will win the league.

doncarlos wrote: »
    I think all Dundalk supporters would agree that we have been outstanding this season and Cork are only three points behind, so they must be doing something right. If both teams play as well as they can Dundalk will win but if Dundalk don't play well or start slow Cork can get something from this game. The leagues best attack against the leagues best defence, something has to give.
    It's like Hulk Hogan Vs Andre the giant in wrestlemania 3. If we can scoop slam Cork we will win the league.
    I have no idea about anything wrestling related but I hope Dundalk's collective sweaty arse will have the Cork team nailed to the canvas as they are forced to submit whilst breathing in our intoxicating title winning farts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

^ Setanta

Its not and wont be a sell out. If people show up there will be tickets.

I heard there was tickets on the door but a limited amount.

was probably being naive and sucked in by marketing by saying limited amount.

I imagine if you get down early you'll get a ticket, a few of my mates have tickets and 2 more are looking for them so they're going to chance their arm on the gate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They were selling some on front of the Library in UCC the last while. Were still there 20 minutes ago, not sure about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Clubs don't turn money away. It won't sell out.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I heard there was tickets on the door but a limited amount.

was probably being naive and sucked in by marketing by saying limited amount.

I imagine if you get down early you'll get a ticket, a few of my mates have tickets and 2 more are looking for them so they're going to chance their arm on the gate.

Exactly ya. Its a misguided attempt by the club to create a clamour. Its backfired in the past when fellas have just decided to not bother as they heard through various media that it was (almost) sold out.

If I din't have a ticket I would still get down early as with any big agme at The Cross a few hundred will descend on the ground 10 mins before ko and will miss the start of the game. The fact its televised means there will be no delay in KO to facilitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

The Cross holds 7,500. The attendance will be nowhere near that. It won't sell out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think it's likely to sell out, but it should be a huge crowd.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks pretty close to full here. Great atmosphere anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Darren Dennehy equalises on 84 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

'Mon the Town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Backers or not, the ultimate LOI rags to riches story from Dundalk!!

Fair play, delighted for them

Stick a black and white fork in it. This league is done. I'll be amazed if this team don't finish the job from here. They are way way too good not to. Brilliant brilliant side. Stephen Kenny is a legend. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stick a black and white fork in it. This league is done.

Hope I dont have to come back to this quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Stick a black and white fork in it. This league is done. I'll be amazed if this team don't finish the job from here. They are way way too good not to. Brilliant brilliant side. Stephen Kenny is a legend. Delighted.

You've done it now! We all know to blame if we implode:D

Im not saying this just to lower (my own) expectations, but Dundalk FC have never done anything the easy way taking years off many Lilywhite fans' lives on the way. It's looking good as others have to keep winning as well as us dropping points for us not to kick on to the end of October but lose a couple of the squad through transfers or injury and 33pts still to play for well i'm not calling it yet!

Nesta99 wrote: »
    You've done it now! We all know to blame if we implode:D

Im not saying this just to lower (my own) expectations, but Dundalk FC have never done anything the easy way taking years off many Lilywhite fans' lives on the way. It's looking good as others have to keep winning as well as us dropping points for us not to kick on to the end of October but lose a couple of the squad through transfers or injury and 33pts still to play for well i'm not calling it yet!
    Usually I'd be erring on the side of caution too but it's impossible to form any other opinion having watched them all season. They are without doubt the best team in the league and with such strong characters all the way through the team there is no way they will let this go now.

Now bring on Wexford.

I admire your absolute conviction! I'm going to wait until there are absolutely no chances of astrixes, crazy refs, FAIisms, carpet tests, and the trophy is sitting in Oriel..then off to the Cup Final in november ;)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hope I dont have to come back to this quote.
    Me too! Does this mean you're shouting for Dundalk in the run in? I know for a fact it would hurt you greatly to have to dig up my quote and make an absolute show of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah that was a frustrating match. Dundalk started great and deservedly took the lead, City got back into it but just looked that extra pass short at times. Dundalk's defence is very solid, hard to see them dropping many points. Played better in the second half and just about deserved the equaliser, then what happened after was a kick in the teeth. Ref was an abomination though, he has a ridiculous record when refereeing us.

Also Meenan is a moany bastard and goes down way, way too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

deserved little, although Dundalk did not impress me, but I hope that I never have to see that Ref at the Cross again.

the worst Ref in history of the game. so many decisions for both sides wrong.

Great crowd, terrific atmosphere and very happy to see so many Palestinians in the away end.

Corks style was shown up tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Me too! Does this mean you're shouting for Dundalk in the run in? I know for a fact it would hurt you greatly to have to dig up my quote and make an absolute show of me.

I prefer to save my gloating till end of season, I either get to gloat or i dont.

Dundalk fans dont get that.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Dundalk fans dont get that.

Have a read at my post!!!:rolleyes: Are you still referring to the choice of music by 1 person in Oriel?

Disgusted with how we threw away the point the other day. The lack of leadership in our team was shown up big style Friday.

That said I think Dundalk deserved the 3 overall. But as mentioned - that ref was unreal bad. Not seen a guy as bad as that since Dick O Hanlin.

Great crowd. Shame we won't repeat that against SPA Friday. Hopefully we get it back on track from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Disgusted with how we threw away the point the other day. The lack of leadership in our team was shown up big style Friday.

That said I think Dundalk deserved the 3 overall. But as mentioned - that ref was unreal bad. Not seen a guy as bad as that since Dick O Hanlin.

Great crowd. Shame we won't repeat that against SPA Friday. Hopefully we get it back on track from there.
    Need to correct you there; Dick O'Hanlon was never that bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement