Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] The Race - Donegal, 7th - 8th March 2015

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Following this years event i see The Race have confirmed the 2015 event is taking place in the same area in Donegal 7th-8th March 2015. I marshalled at this last time and am very tempted by it for next year. I see theres a bit of discussion on next years event already so it probably deserves its own thread.

I think a lot underestimated it last time!! It was brutal. Weather made it very hard going! I was at the entrance to Glenveagh Nat Park at about the 10k mark into the last run directing people into the park proper and was freezing despite wearing jeans, ski trousers, underarmour cold gear thermal, t-shirt, hoodie, jacket and ski jacket with ski socks, normal socks and three pairs of gloves!!!

More info here:

http://www.therace.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's still crazy money, €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Its a charity event, you pay an initial deposit of €150 and they help you fundraise the rest. Sure why not fundraise from the off and then it costs nothing?

And when i say charity event i mean it, Gartan, where you stay for two nights provide accom and food FOC to all volunteers and competitors. every cent goes to the charity

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Did this event last year, incredible event, when they say it's designed so that competitors won't finish they're not kidding. It was the biggest challenge I've ever faced by a long shot, by the time I got to the finish I had all life's problems figured out. Forgot the answers afterwards unfortunately. I've completed Art O'Neill twice and that felt like a 5km run compared to The Race. It was also the best run race I've ever done. Wish I could do it again this year but nappy changing beckons.

As for the cost element, it's all for charity and you fundraise the entry fee so the fee is basically just a minimum figure for fundraising but trust me when you tell people what you're taking on it's very easy to fundraise! I didn't even have to ask anyone, I just told people what i was doing and said if they wanted to sponsor me they could but I wasn't going to be going around with a card and I came out with almost €1000 for the charity partner.

And they give out a serious medal, I mean a huge chunk of metal! The only medal that I have that I've ever been bothered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

...lead me not into temptation.... :D

MIKE!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When I saw this last year, I didnt want to do it. Now, I want to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I spent a while looking at their website last night. What an event. If it wasn't for the entry fee..................

griffin100 wrote: »
    I spent a while looking at their website last night. What an event. If it wasn't for the entry fee..................
    IM costs as much, so I suppose its all relative.

Only 70 places anyway. So AKW, even if you entered, sure you probably wouldnt even get in... wheres the harm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »
    IM costs as much, so I suppose its all relative.

Yeah, but €600 to run around Donegal......

griffin100 wrote: »
    Yeah, but €600 to run around Donegal......
    I have never been to Donegal when it wasnt raining....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

THE RACE: 250 KILOMETERS 24 HOURS.
    The Race is a 250 km unsupported endurance event across the rugged landscape of North West Donegal. To finish competitors have to complete 15km of kayaking, 166km of cycling, 5km of mountain running and 64km of road and trail running. It is aimed at providing the ultimate 24 hour test of endurance.

166km of cycling. 5 to 6 hours. that gives you 18 hours to complete 84km. 5km/hr average.

where's the challenge in that? you guys are going soft.

NEXT.

(tongue firmly in cheek)

38 out of 54 finished last year. Do you reckon they were unprepared or the thing was just tough as feck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'd do it except 600 is too much. And I'd feel bad asking people to sponsor me to do something I'd enjoy. It'd be like asking people to pay for my hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Seriously considering just pressing the button here and now and sweating about the details later.

Oryx wrote: »
    38 out of 54 finished last year. Do you reckon they were unprepared or the thing was just tough as feck?
    I reckon it was a bit of both. On paper the distances dont seem all that great but the terrain and conditions you get up there make it very tough. It was bleak last year from my observations marshalling at it! It took a lot of mental energy to get through it all. Epic location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'd do it except 600 is too much. And I'd feel bad asking people to sponsor me to do something I'd enjoy. It'd be like asking people to pay for my hobby.

Yeah, exactly the same for me. No race as short as 24 hours is worth a 600 Euro entry fee, and I wouldn't expect anyone who knows me to give me money to enter a race.

It looks like an easy enough race to me though! The hardest bit looks to be the sheer crapiness of the kayaks (I wonder is there an option to bring a proper one of your own)

Enduro wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly the same for me. No race as short as 24 hours is worth a 600 Euro entry fee, and I wouldn't expect anyone who knows me to give me money to enter a race.

It looks like an easy enough race to me though! The hardest bit looks to be the sheer crapiness of the kayaks (I wonder is there an option to bring a proper one of your own)
    It would.

Just a heads up, entry applications close tomorrow at midnight

Have applied myself! Eek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Enduro wrote: »

The fact that it would be an easy race for you is irrelevant as you won't be doing it. I would like to know who the "average" competitor is. Well I'm mildly curious :)

Most of "us" - the usual AR/multisport suspects - won't stomach paying €600 for a 24 hour race or asking friends and family to stump up the €600 in the name of charity.

70% of entrants finished. That makes it a hard race I would think.
    What percentage finish the Beast or the CCAR series?

All that kayaking in winter does sound hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Bambaata, If you can find out what type of kayaks and what feather will be on the paddles you will be using let me know and I can try sort getting something similar enough and give you a bit of a hand with your training. Not sure how much I can help, but if you can get through that section easily enough might help with the rest of the race. Sure even a few goes in one beforehand will help.

• Advertisement

Cheers Joey, I'll be sure to seek your assistance once i get down to focusing on it!

Advertisement