Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter are they installed in your area yet?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What's up with theses water meters living in the Kilbarrack and no sign of them being installed on the road any time soon? I thought it was suppose to come into effect next year?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No sign of them in my area. Don't think it matters. If you have no meter you will be charge the flat rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No sign of them in my area either.

I'm wondering how the flat rate is calculated, as I'm pretty sure that my usage would be below the usual so I fear I'm going to get done if on the made-up flat rate......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

what happens if I

A. don't let them fit a meter

B. the stopcock is located inside my backgate and not on the outside of the property???

If you don't have a meter fitted (for whatever reason), you'll be charged at the flat rate.

How that flat rate is calculated I'm not quite sure, but I can't imagine it working out any cheaper than if you were being charged for actual usage.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If you don't have a meter fitted (for whatever reason), you'll be charged at the flat rate.

How that flat rate is calculated I'm not quite sure, but I can't imagine it working out any cheaper than if you were being charged for actual usage.
    i'm not saying I wont pay but for people in a similar position how would it work?the fact the stopcock is on private property

• Advertisement

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    i'm not saying I wont pay but for people in a similar position how would it work?the fact the stopcock is on private property

I'd imagine that the sensible thing to do would be to let them in?

I'd imagine that the sensible thing to do would be to let them in?
    one of the relatives is in that situation also as well as myself,i'm debating letting them in,they said they wont,cant see how they can cut the supply if they cant access the stopcock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Mine is in the last week and a bit. (Terenure)

one of the relatives is in that situation also as well as myself,i'm debating letting them in,they said they wont,cant see how they can cut the supply if they cant access the stopcock

I heard on the radio in recent days that if you don't pay your supply will be reduced to a trickle - enough to live on but a complete PITA.

How this would be achieved without access to the stopcock I have no idea. Could they add another stopcock outside your boundary and use it to restrict supply?

All academic in my case as I live near to the city centre so they'll have no difficulty if/when they turn up to fit the meter.

On a slightly different note, anyone know what the story is with apartment blocks? How is that going to be arranged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

They are starting on our road next week in swords co. Dublin. They are installing them up the road at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That is probably the situation for many properties in the area so I'm sure they will just turn off the supply on the main temporarily to allow them to fit a new stopcock and meter at the road.
    On a slightly different note, anyone know what the story is with apartment blocks? How is that going to be arranged?
    Apartments wont have individual meters, afaik the management company will get a bill and they will divide the cost among the residents. Individual residents could look to install their own meter and only pay for what they use but that depends on how the building is plumbed and if the management company/other residents agree to this.

Funnily enough of the 100 houses in the estate there is no more than a dozen that have them on private property,no doubt though the IW thinking caps were put on to try and get around that :rolleyes: interesting to see what will happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Funnily enough of the 100 houses in the estate there is no more than a dozen that have them on private property,no doubt though the IW thinking caps were put on to try and get around that :rolleyes: interesting to see what will happen though

I'm sure they will have no problem shutting off supply to 100 houses for a few hours to install new stopcocks and meters at a dozen houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    That is probably the situation for many properties in the area so I'm sure they will just turn off the supply on the main temporarily to allow them to fit a new stopcock and meter at the road.

Apartments wont have individual meters, afaik the management company will get a bill and they will divide the cost among the residents. Individual residents could look to install their own meter and only pay for what they use but that depends on how the building is plumbed and if the management company/other residents agree to this.

So say if someone had a apartment that was only used twice a year for a holiday they would be paying the same as a permanent resident?

Advertisement