Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subjects to do at home?

• 01-08-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm going into 5th year in a few weeks and I'm not doing Irish for LC as I'm exempt. Unfortunately that means I can only do 6 subjects at school. I'm aiming for 500 points (want to do sports science in UL) and the subjects I'm doing are English, maths, french, biology, geography and DCG. I'm probably just going to take English at pass level and will be relying on this subject to help get my 500 points. I was interested in chemistry but was wondering if that would be too complicated? My favourite and strongest subject at school is geography if that's any help!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭STEEL COMET

Im going into Leaving in September and have just taken up economics today on my own as im only doing 5 higher level subs....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

It might be a bit early to ask but how have you found it so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

snoopytoop wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm going into 5th year in a few weeks and I'm not doing Irish for LC as I'm exempt. Unfortunately that means I can only do 6 subjects at school. I'm aiming for 500 points (want to do sports science in UL) and the subjects I'm doing are English, maths, french, biology, geography and DCG. I'm probably just going to take English at pass level and will be relying on this subject to help get my 500 points. I was interested in chemistry but was wondering if that would be too complicated? My favourite and strongest subject at school is geography if that's any help!
    Thanks!

I think you need lab time in order to sit a science subject. At the very least you will need to be able to write about experiments which is easier more understandable if you hqve seen or done them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LC12395

Economics is a very short course in comparison to other LC subjects. In school we covered the entire course 4 times before the exam. If you have an interest in economics and current affairs I'd highly recommend it. The exam hasn't changed since 1969 and there is so much choice on the exam paper to choose from. Some long questions are very predictable as there is only so much that can be asked. Of course to get a high grade a knowledge of what's going on in the Irish economy is necessary. I found reading the Journal.ie and watching economics music videos on YouTube incredibly helpful. Read through the sample answers in the marking schemes and there isn't really anything that could throw you in an exam. Economics and Geography have a lot of crossover too, learning one helped to improve my answers in the other. I loved economics and thought it was a breeze, but I know some people who thought it was boring and difficult. It depends on where your interests lie. Only choose it if you think you'll enjoy studying it, same with any subject. If you're not very interested in whatever subject you choose, finding the will power to continuously study in by yourself will be extremely challenging and become a huge burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I would suggest business over economics. Business has no projects (as opposed to history, geo,etc) and only basic maths, it doesn't require nearly as many graphs and if you've done it for the junior cert you could easily get it done comfortably in a couple of months. A lot of business is common sense if you listen to the news in passing (rights, responsibilities, taxes, etc) and with a good work ethic you don't need a teacher to understand the material.

• Advertisement
Advertisement