Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rental accommodation scheme RAS

Options
  • 01-08-2014 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, I'm living in letterkenny, with my boyfriend just the of us, currently on rent allowance. We are interested in doing the ras scheme and have found a house in the country 6 miles from letterkenny. Which we just love. The landlord is agreeable to do the ras the rent is 650 per month and he won't budge from this. Will the council pay this much or is there a certain limit ? The person in the council is off Al week that deale with ras to answer my query.. any feed back appreciated Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The council will pay below the market rate and will negotiate the rent with the Landlord.
    They will also have to inspect the house, make sure it's up to their standards and that inspection takes up to 8 weeks.
    That'll be 8 weeks of no rent for your LL...think he'll be alright with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Are RAS Leases not going to be phased out with the new HAP? The advantage of RAS over rent allowance is that the tenant can work and pay a percentage of their wage towards rent just like a council tenant can. A person on rent allowance usually looses most of their payment if they work even for a low wage. The HAP is going to be rolled out soon enough the Councils who are going to be running the trial for this payment have already been picked and it will be starting soon.

Could you move to the house with rent allowance and then try to see if you can move to HAP / RAS then after? This would probably your best bet. The Council wont pay the market rent though as they expect a reduction in the price as its a guaranteed rent regardless if the property is occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 donegalgal1

fussyonion wrote: »
    The council will pay below the market rate and will negotiate the rent with the Landlord.
    They will also have to inspect the house, make sure it's up to their standards and that inspection takes up to 8 weeks.
    That'll be 8 weeks of no rent for your LL...think he'll be alright with that?

I know so if the market rate is 650.. how much do you think they will pay. . And because it is a 3 and we are a couple with no kids will it be okay . Yes well the landlord says he has few things still to do to house so would be 4-8 before its ready

Kelly06 wrote: »
    Are RAS Leases not going to be phased out with the new HAP? The advantage of RAS over rent allowance is that the tenant can work and pay a percentage of their wage towards rent just like a council tenant can. A person on rent allowance usually looses most of their payment if they work even for a low wage. The HAP is going to be rolled out soon enough the Councils who are going to be running the trial for this payment have already been picked and it will be starting soon.

Could you move to the house with rent allowance and then try to see if you can move to HAP / RAS then after? This would probably your best bet. The Council wont pay the market rent though as they expect a reduction in the price as its a guaranteed rent regardless if the property is occupied.

I'm not to sure we had an interview few weeks ago and was told we could also do the ras if we wanted but at the time wasn't interested then thought more about it. Well the house we are in at the minute is quite cheaper and I hate the area. So would like to move and get ras on the other. But of landlord won't drop rent and council won't pay that rate looks like it is a no go :(

I know so if the market rate is 650.. how much do you think they will pay. . And because it is a 3 and we are a couple with no kids will it be okay . Yes well the landlord says he has few things still to do to house so would be 4-8 before its ready

This booklet from Donegal County Council tells you it all:

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalcountyc/housing/pdfs/InformationBookletonSocialLeasing.pdf

It says they pay 92% page 6!

• Advertisement

I'm not to sure we had an interview few weeks ago and was told we could also do the ras if we wanted but at the time wasn't interested then thought more about it. Well the house we are in at the minute is quite cheaper and I hate the area. So would like to move and get ras on the other. But of landlord won't drop rent and council won't pay that rate looks like it is a no go :(

If ive done my maths right that means they will pay 598. Always better to be on a ras payment as you can work and pay a % of your income to the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I doubt they'll pay for a 3bed for you as your housing needs is a 1bed.

I doubt they'll pay for a 3bed for you as your housing needs is a 1bed.

This is true what size is your current house you got rent allowance for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I don't have rent allowance. But as far as I know that's the councils policy. They house you based on your needs and not on your wants

I don't have rent allowance. But as far as I know that's the councils policy. They house you based on your needs and not on your wants

Sorry, my bad! I was talking to the op! Just trying to see what sized property they are receiving a payment for already.

• Advertisement

You won't be allowed rent a three-bed house on Ras/Rent Allowance.
    You'll only be entitled to rent a one-bed.

If ive done my maths right that means they will pay 598. Always better to be on a ras payment as you can work and pay a % of your income to the Council.

I'd be happy if they payed 598 and I am sure landlord would drop to that. If not we could pay the odds, very confusing and not much on the Internet about it

My current house is a 3 bedroom but rent is quite a bit cheaper, when I had the interview he said I would be entitled to a bed as long as I don't want ras for a 5 bed wit a swimming pool lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

€650 seems like alot. According to this link http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html the max you can pay is €325. This is rent allowance though. Not sure if RAS would be too different.

You can't pay the difference. It's not allowed.

You can't pay the difference. It's not allowed.

Yes but they wouldn't have to know lol

And this is why Landlords hate Rent Allowance and RAS.
    The tenant is willing to lie in order to get what they want.
    It's not going to work.
    You will be found out and you'll be in serious trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is also one of the reasons why the council offer really low amounts, because dishonest landlords and tenants are happy to commit fraud thereby making rents look cheaper than they actually are. As usual it is the honest people who suffer because of the actions of dishonest.

You won't be allowed rent a three-bed house on Ras/Rent Allowance.
    You'll only be entitled to rent a one-bed.

That was not my question, I already am getting rent all for a 3 bed thanks anyway but please no more silly comments

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is also one of the reasons why the council offer really low amounts, because dishonest landlords and tenants are happy to commit fraud thereby making rents look cheaper than they actually are. As usual it is the honest people who suffer because of the actions of dishonest.

Well if u can find a property to rent for rent allowance rates you would be the only person in the country my friend people are forced to lie as landlords prices are to high and social welfare don't pay enough what are we meant to do live on the streets when we can't find employment.

• Advertisement

Well if u can find a property to rent for rent allowance rates you would be the only person in the country my friend people are forced to lie as landlords prices are to high and social welfare don't pay enough what are we meant to do live on the streets when we can't find employment.
    And can you not see cause and effect here? Landlord prices are not too high. They fall into line with the market. Your rent allowance will not get you a property because of fraudulent illegal top up payments artificially inflate the market. It is not as widespread as you seem to think btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement