Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Garlic

• 01-08-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I am planning on setting some garlic for next year never tried it before and from what I have seen would around the end of October be about right?

The plan is to turn over the soil in about a month get some seaweed and chicken manure and mix in with the soil and leave until the end of October and when sat cover with a couple inches of grass cuttings.

Is ordinary shop bought garlic ok to use?
    some say yes and some say no.

Any other tips would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shop bought is grand usually, October should be fine, maybe a little early, November or December is when I do mine. As long as it gets a frost once or twice before spring it should be fine.

Garlic likes a bit of sun so don't plant it in a shady spot, don't plant it in boggy ground or it will rot before the spring. Blood and bone is good stuff, Lidl and Aldi do it every now and again, I usually scatter a good bit of that where i'm going to sow garlic. Chicken and and Seaweed should also be ideal. other than that keep it weeded, it doesn't like competition.

It keeps well when harvesting, dry it outside for about a week, then put into a box, like a cardboard box and close the lid except when taking out what you need, light will cause it to sprout as does cold so you shouldn't keep garlic in the fridge. Should easily last you a year, or until your next crop that way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Great stuff. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some shop bought garlic won't sprout for you. Some growers treat it specially to prolong shop life and prevent sprouting. Just have a look when you are buying, see if you see some green shoots.

That said, all my garlic is from sprouty shop ones. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I have grown garlic both autumn and early spring sown. I feel that the spring sown garlic is a little smaller when harvested but seems sounder i.e. less multiple stems, rust and going to seed. That might be just my garden though.

Advertisement