Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly biting

• 01-08-2014 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

or snapping at the air... or nothing?

My dog does this. I thought he was just snapping at bits of dust but have just read a bit more on it and see all sorts of explanations from epilepsy to GI reflux to boredom. He compulsively licks his paws too and in general is a very angst ridden dog. He's improved in a lot of ways since we got him but still has a way to go.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Is this a case for vet or behaviourist? I thought it was all behavioural but now wonder if there's a physical cause?

Article on fly biting and epilepsy here
    http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/flybite/flybite.html

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To answer your question as to whether to get the help of a vet of behaviourist, you quite likely need both.
    But you need to see the vet before you see the behaviourist! The behaviourist will need to be as certain as possible that the behaviour is not medically caused before they start trying to intervene with a behaviour modification program.
    Do you trust your vet implicitly, that they will really dig deep to get to the bottom of this?
    As a matter of interest, what type/breed of dog have you got? Some breeds are more prone to compulsive air-snapping than others.
    If your dog is insured with Allianz, they cover behavioural consults with certified behaviourists on veterinary referral.

Edited to add: your dog's a Springer? One of the susceptible breeds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Thanks DBB, the more reading I've been doing this evening I've been coming to the same conclusion of vet first.
    He's a spinger spaniel, a rescue who I have no doubt was abused and neglected so he has definite behavioural issues thus why I'm only now wondering whether there is something medical involved too. We see the fly biting behaviour maybe 4-5 times a day and maybe half the time it's accompanied by little whines and yelps and then he darts off to another corner or room... I suppose thinking he's getting away from... whatever :( (and it's not fleas!)

Do I trust my vet to get to the bottom of it.... I can only say I think so!
    Don't have insurance. I guess I should get it sorted!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

DBB wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what type/breed of dog have you got? Some breeds are more prone to compulsive air-snapping than others.

Edited to add: your dog's a Springer? One of the susceptible breeds :(

Sorry tea tree, it was a comment about the question I'd asked you earlier in my first post, asking what breed he is. Springers are over-represented amongst breeds who air-snap and shadow-chase :(
    That said, beware attempts at self-diagnosis or online-diagnosis!
    Let your vet do what has to be done. Insurance would be a distinct advantage for anything like this as it would open up more options for diagnostic tools. You pay an excess once per condition (I think?) so if you go to the vet, and pay the excess, then if the vet refers you to a listed (with Allianz) behaviourist, you don't then have to pay another excess to the behaviourist. They'll also cover all medications the vet prescribes, and any equipment or gear that the behaviourist recommends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Thanks DBB, good to get an opinion (even if it is online:P).

I'll sort insurance tomorrow and check the fine print before going to vet.

Advertisement