Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Novice Drivers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How difficult is it to make your own! :rolleyes:

Ya, thats going to happen. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People won't wear them.

Like they don't wear L plates or if they do, drive unaccompanied.

Just like they drive around in a car that they haven't even passed a basic test to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do you think the plates are free?
    No, £1.44 from Amazon.co.uk.

Check your local service station for local availability and pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

what we really need is a g plate. where g = gobshíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

They should introduce a double plate system:

17-20 years of age = 1
    20-30 years of age = 2
    30-40 years of age = 3
    40-50 years of age = 4
    50-60 years of age = 5
    60-65 years of age = 6
    65-70 years of age = 7
    70-80 years of age = 8
    80-90 years of age = 9
    90 -100 years of age = 10
    100 + years of age = 11

Now for the letter part system:

Learner = L
    Novice = N
    Competent full licence = C

So e.g if we saw a car with the plates C6 we know its a competent driver approaching pension age. This dual plate should be small enough to fit where some put the nurburgring sticker.

just because a person has a full licence does not automatically mean they are competent,have you seen the lane changing,non indicating tail gating red light breakers recently???if anything the N plate drivers are safer than the established full licenced drivers,at least (most of) the novices know the rules of the road.

Perhaps they should just build a parallel road network for all the bad drivers and leave the rest of the network to those who understand the rotr!
    It may be a lonely road! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

17-20 years of age = 1
    20-30 years of age = 2
    30-40 years of age = 3
    40-50 years of age = 4
    50-60 years of age = 5
    60-65 years of age = 6
    65-70 years of age = 7
    70-80 years of age = 8
    80-90 years of age = 9
    100 + years of age = 11

Learner = L
    Novice = N

So e.g if we saw a car with the plates C6 we know its a competent driver approaching pension age. This dual plate should be small enough to fit where some put the nurburgring sticker.

What happens if they drive a Citroen C5 then?

Confusing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Another bullshyte idea to attempt to apply rules to ordinary people and punish them for trivial lapses when scobes at the lowest and highest level of society have nothing enforced on them.

Another bullshyte idea to attempt to apply rules to ordinary people and punish them for trivial lapses when scobes at the lowest and highest level of society have nothing enforced on them.
    Sad but unfortunately true! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Lol. Yeah, right.

Technically speaking, they shouldn't be. We all know that L plate drivers would go on the motorway and drive above the limit etc etc, but they shouldn't be. So we can only expect to treat them as if they haven't experience on the motorway as they shouldn't be on it.

Any idea which promotes safer driving on our roads is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm not saying that someone with a N plate on their car is somehow a bad driver. But they are inexperienced. Like anything else the more you drive, the more you learn about driving and the actions of other drivers. Having the sign on the car will allow contentious road users to give the N driver a wider berth, or to be more patient if they make a mistake.

Hahahahahahaha
    Have you ever seen people drive? People don't act like that around L plates as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hahahahahahaha
    Have you ever seen people drive? People don't act like that around L plates as it is.

Generally other road users are empathetic to the L plate driver and have more patience with them. There are some asshats who do not, and to be honest, they should be punished for their contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Pointless idea.It's harder/more expensive now than ever to get a full license (theory,12 mandatory lessons,dealing with the poxy NDLS shower etc) and now another hoop to jump through,all while there's so called experienced drivers on the road who've never even sat a theory or full test and had licenses issued to clear a backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Pointless idea.It's harder/more expensive now than ever to get a full license (theory,12 mandatory lessons,dealing with the poxy NDLS shower etc) and now another hoop to jump through,all while there's so called experienced drivers on the road who've never even sat a theory or full test and had licenses issued to clear a backlog.

Along with my dad who never even did a driving test was just fill out a form in them days and tick all the boxes and get a drivers license.

No Pants wrote: »
    No, £1.44 from Amazon.co.uk.

Check your local service station for local availability and pricing.

They are L plates and the shipping cost is £12.03 :rolleyes:

Ya, do indeed check your local service station for local availability and pricing. They wont be sold at a loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Packrat

Generally other road users are empathetic to the L plate driver and have more patience with them. There are some asshats who do not, and to be honest, they should be punished for their contempt.

Bullcrap.

I've been driving the missus car a bit recently, and it took me a while to figure out why I was being aggressively prevented from lane changes etc, hooted away from lights etc, -far far more often than in my own 4x4. At first I put it down to being in a Rav, then I realised they were doing it to her all the time as well. The L plates are the cause.
    Only happens in Dublin I might add.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

The idea that inexperienced drivers- who one would expect to make more mistakes on average- will be getting a larger punishment for mistakes they are, in theory, more likely to make is ridiculous.
    Surely it is the experienced drivers who should have a lower penalty points number, as they should not be making mistakes, due to their experience.

The idea that inexperienced drivers- who one would expect to make more mistakes on average- will be getting a larger punishment for mistakes they are, in theory, more likely to make is ridiculous.
    Surely it is the experienced drivers who should have a lower penalty points number, as they should not be making mistakes, due to their experience.

Even more ridiculous

Even more ridiculous

Why? When people are starting any new activity they are in general given more leniency with rules. Then as they become more experienced they must abide by the rules more tightly.

If someone starts a new job and makes a mistake in their first month would you fire them? They deserve leeway as they are not fully accustomed to the job yet. Yet if an established employee made that same mistake then a larger punishment would be justified.

• Advertisement

Why? When people are starting any new activity they are in general given more leniency with rules. Then as they become more experienced they must abide by the rules more tightly.

So the Irish Solution would be to punish those with more experience more. :pac:

Take me for example, no penalty points, no accidents etc ever but the punishment hanging over me should increase over time?? Fúck that

Do you drive yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

jjbrien wrote: »
    Along with my dad who never even did a driving test was just fill out a form in them days and tick all the boxes and get a drivers license.

My Dad loves telling people that he failed but still got a licence anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

If someone starts a new job and makes a mistake in their first month would you fire them? They deserve leeway as they are not fully accustomed to the job yet. Yet if an established employee made that same mistake then a larger punishment would be justified.

But if someone was killed as a result of said mistake...

So the Irish Solution would be to punish those with more experience more. :pac:

Take me for example, no penalty points, no accidents etc ever but the punishment hanging over me should increase over time?? Fúck that

Do you drive yourself?

I do indeed.

I do indeed.

Yet you dont see the flaw with what you are saying

Yet you dont see the flaw with what you are saying

Simply stating that as one becomes more experienced they should not be making mistakes, and so the punishment for a mistake should be greater.

To take the logic in this N-plates punishing inexperienced drivers to an extreme. Lets say we have a learner driver who is involved in some offence warranting points. Well lets ban him for 10 years. That'll teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Its a stupid idea. If anything drivers who just passed their test are among the safest on the road

Are there any studies to back this up? Are you saying that experience makes you a worse driver?

Simply stating that as one becomes more experienced they should not be making mistakes, and so the punishment for a mistake should be greater.

To take the logic in this N-plates punishing inexperienced drivers to an extreme. Lets say we have a learner driver who is involved in some offence warranting points. Well lets ban him for 10 years. That'll teach them.

If you are happy to be punished more after years on the road without incident then tell your insurer, they'll be glad to have your money.

Nothing to do with insurance..... They are insuring against the probability of an accident which will go down as one gains experience. This is my exact argument why there should be less points for a given offence proportional with less experience.

Nothing to do with insurance..... They are insuring against the probability of an accident which will go down as one gains experience. This is my exact argument why there should be less points for a given offence proportional with less experience.

How will that solve the statistics that young drivers are involved in most of the most costly/devastating accidents?

You havent thought this through

• Advertisement

Fair point, it won't. Yet the system will lead to young drivers, who are still gaining in confidence see their license revoked after only 6 points. It really is a harsh way to treat people who are more likely to make the very mistakes which can very quickly get you 6 points.

Fair point, it won't. Yet the system will lead to young drivers, who are still gaining in confidence see their license revoked after only 6 points. It really is a harsh way to treat people who are more likely to make the very mistakes which can very quickly get you 6 points.

These drivers are suppose to drive within their ability. If they cannot recognize that, they should be hammered. I played that system, no points or crashes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

RustyNut wrote: »
    Are there any studies to back this up? Are you saying that experience makes you a worse driver?

Jesus christ, more of this "do you have a study to prove that statement" nonsense. Can we not just have a discussion without someone calling for a study to support every statement that someone makes. Most of us normal functioning people can apply logic and reason to a topic and therefore not feel the need to call for a study for every little thing. And sorry no, I dont have a study to back up my opinion on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

If you're a novice motorcyclist you have to wear an "N" tabard.

Whatever the fuck a tabard is.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Jesus christ, more of this "do you have a study to prove that statement" nonsense. Can we not just have a discussion without someone calling for a study to support every statement that someone makes. Most of us normal functioning people can apply logic and reason to a topic and therefore not feel the need to call for a study for every little thing. And sorry no, I dont have a study to back up my opinion on this matter.

You'll need a study to back that up....

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Can we not just have a discussion without someone calling for a study to support every statement that someone makes.

*snip* Fúck you Dempsey. :p

It annoys me too, you'd swear it was a bloody thesis you were writing in here sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Nib wrote: »
    Maybe that spotty gimp has a full license.

The superiority complex of drivers like you never ceases to amaze me. I see middle aged pricks in Mercs bombing up and down the roads like they own them every single day.

Said prick probably got his licence when they were handing them out to clear the backlog a few decades ago.

Lads can we agree this is the answer. The most dangerous drivers I face (as a learner driver) are those who think they have road superiority and expect me to park in the ditch so they can drive wherever they want at whatever speed they want.

9bred4 wrote: »
    Lads can we agree this is the answer. The most dangerous drivers I face (as a learner driver) are those who think they have road superiority and expect me to park in the ditch so they can drive wherever they want at whatever speed they want.

Are you sure thats not a confidence issue?

Cant bate experience! :pac:

Are you sure thats not a confidence issue?

Cant bate experience! :pac:

Well my car wouldn't win in a game of chicken so I try to avoid them! That or else my insurance would cost the same as a house :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

9bred4 wrote: »
    Well my car wouldn't win in a game of chicken so I try to avoid them! That or else my insurance would cost the same as a house :rolleyes:

Tell me, what car wins a game of chicken?

Your insurance would only be paying out when you are at fault...

Follow the rules of the road and those evil experienced drivers havent a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Meh, the standerd of driving in this countey is generally diabolical anyways and thats largely due to people that have been driving years, this won't change anything bar possibly bring in more fines for non display. Gimmicky-RSA-"look at all the lives wev saved!!"-nonsense IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Passing the test is the ability to achieve minimum standards.

Passing tests only displays an ability to pass that particular test.

There are people who've passed the test yesterday who are better drivers than others who passed it decades ago.

Tell me, what car wins a game of chicken?

Your insurance would only be paying out when you are at fault...

Follow the rules of the road and those evil experienced drivers havent a leg to stand on.

When a big 3 litre comes up against a college kid's 1.2 you tell me.

You think I don't? I'm the one that does. Never have a problem when I drive against other learners or those with lesser cars. But come up against the road "elite" and all of a sudden things change, the same guys are jeering on the N plate. Why not start every person with the N until the 2 years passes for them also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

sure who'll inforce these new rules? garda don't inforce the existing ones......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

From the OP's Quote:
    .....Anyone else think this is a really sensible idea?
    There were few things worse

Previously posted on After Hours in a separate thread:
    wandererz wrote: »
    I think that this hasn't been properly thought out.
    The government needs to do a U-turn on this.

What about the large number of people of other races in the country now.
    Being tagged with a N sign for two years is a bit too much to bear don't you think?

Yet another foolish plan, which will only serve to antagonise new drivers and gives leverage to people who enjoy causing problems.

Yes, it's true, Ireland is branding people with the N-Plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Do not agree with novice drivers plates, not one bit.

How about plates from 4 to 11, anyone with 4 penalty points are more should have the number of points on their windows, wouldnt that make more sense.

Dowl88 wrote: »
    Do not agree with novice drivers plates, not one bit.

How about plates from 4 to 11, anyone with 4 penalty points are more should have the number of points on their windows, wouldnt that make more sense.

No one's going to take any notice of any plates so it's all pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hahahahahahaha

That's not the point though. Regardless of whether drivers do or don't act like that around L plates, that's what the plates are for, to let people know that they should take extra care and be patient. The government can't make people take extra care and be patient around L/N plates but at least by making people have the plates they're giving them the option.

If the new activity were answering phones I'd agree, but when it's driving a car there are lives at risk. Some new guy arrives at the lumber yard the boss isn't going to be more lenient with him when he's using the chainsaw he's going to watch him like an effing hawk and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. It's because they're more likely to make stupid mistakes that we have to be more vigilant with them and not just let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

17-20 years of age = 1
    20-30 years of age = 2
    30-40 years of age = 3
    40-50 years of age = 4
    50-60 years of age = 5
    60-65 years of age = 6
    65-70 years of age = 7
    70-80 years of age = 8
    80-90 years of age = 9
    100 + years of age = 11

Learner = L
    Novice = N

Why do people put nurburgring stickers on their cars? I see at least one a day. Have they been around it or are they just saying they know it exists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

JC01 wrote: »
    Meh, the standerd of driving in this countey is generally diabolical anyways and thats largely due to people that have been driving years, this won't change anything bar possibly bring in more fines for non display. Gimmicky-RSA-"look at all the lives wev saved!!"-nonsense IMO

This, pretty much.

When we had L plates on our car as my husband was teaching me how to drive, he almost instantly noticed that other road users started to treat him a whole lot less courteous, were cutting him up more often and tailgated him more frequently.

He's been driving for 20 years and made his license in the UK, yet as soon as others saw the L plates on his car, they immediately seemed to assume that he was a novice and that they had to do absolutely everything in their power to make it clear to him that they thought his driving inadequate.

The notion that the plates will make others extend a bit more patience to the new driver is nice, but naive. A bit like the idea that school uniforms will reduce bullying at school, well-meaning but ultimately ineffective.

What it's going to do is expose new drivers to another 2 years of aggressiveness and bullying on the roads, when there certainly is no need for it.

The worst drivers I've come across on Irish roads certainly were not young drivers or learners, they were middle-aged to elderly. Yet everybody seems to want to pick on the young and the new drivers.
    If you want to improve the standard of driving on the roads and you feel you absolutely have to start with the new guys, make the learning and testing better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement