Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing older rescue dog

• 01-08-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, need some advice here

The Background

We have a boxer, Brodi (female), she is 4 1/2, our 1yr old pup Ozzy died in May, he was also a boxer
    A Week after Ozzy died my wife's mother had to have her 15yr old poodle put to sleep.
    My mother-in-law lives in Dublin, we live out in Meath so they visit each other once or twice a week.

Now

My mother-in-law decided to get another dog, she didn't want a pup and was swaying towards rescuing an older dog.

After a lot of looking around she found an ideal one, a 6/7yr old female boxer, she went to pick her up last week, her name is Honey.

She didn't get a lot of info on Honey as the rescue place didn't have that much, just the basics, in the rescue she shared a kennel with another dog and got on fine.

Now in the 7 days she's had Honey it has been perfect for them both, the dog is great in the house, great with people, great with her cat, just great in general and they're both enjoying each others company.

My wife went with her ma to pick her up from Galway last week, on the way back they dropped her back off in Meath and came in for a brew before she headed back to Dublin, we took Brodi out front to meet her, now Brodi is the most placid dog ever, she loves all dogs and people, but Honey seemed a bit growly and snappy at her, we put it down to the long journey and heat, her ma went home after a quick brew with Bro out the back.

We went up to Dublin tonight and walked them both on the Green opposite her gaff, 10ft apart just so they could get used to each other, Brodi wasn't that bothered and just walked around as though nothing was different, so the problem isn't with Bro

3/4 times Honey was just pulling at the lead to get to Bro, twice with a bit of a growl, she did wag her stump once though. After 10 mins i took Brodi back into her ma's gaff on her own so she could have a sniff and a pee in the garden.

Our next plan is for Thursday, Her ma and Honey are going to come up here for an hour, i'll take Bro out for a long walk so Honey can sniff out the gaff, then we'll meet up for another interaction walk before they head back home.

Honey does have a few scars on her face that look like they're from another dog, also presuming she's had quite a few litters.
    Our first thought was that she's had a rough time with other boxers, hence the slight aggression towards Bro.

Anybody have any other idea's/suggestions that could help?

In some replies to this thread my wife may reply from this account as she's in more contact wit her ma

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I do not want to alarm you but just want to make you aware of this as a fellow Boxer owner, it has been noted and is somewhat common for some female boxers to be female aggressive. Not saying this is the case here just something to take note of.

Here is a FB post on Female/Female aggression in Boxers by a Boxer rescue in America.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/legacy-boxer-rescue/femalefemale-aggression/10150572697538460

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd suggest a much longer walk. I know that usually a walk around the estate is ok for introductions but I've found when Introducing dogs I fear might not really get along, a good two or three hour walk helps a lot. It tires them out and there are often more interesting things going on than each other.

If it continues to be a problem, I'd say get a behaviourist in. One session could be enough to talk you through why it is happening and give you tips on working through it.

Sounds like poor honey had a rough time of it, so glad se landed on her paws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

No advice just wanted to say I saw Honey on the FB page (presume it's the same one as you said it's Galway!) and she looked so sweet and a bit sad and grey, I really really hope it works out for you all, you could contact the rescue you got her from the people who run it are very knowledgable and one of them is a dog trainer, they are great at giving back up to their rescues as it's in everyones interest (and most importantly the dogs!) that it works out, so please don't hesitate to call them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    No advice just wanted to say I saw Honey on the FB page (presume it's the same one as you said it's Galway!) and she looked so sweet and a bit sad and grey, I really really hope it works out for you all, you could contact the rescue you got her from the people who run it are very knowledgable and one of them is a dog trainer, they are great at giving back up to their rescues as it's in everyones interest (and most importantly the dogs!) that it works out, so please don't hesitate to call them!

Yes, it's the same dog. It's working out fine, she's landed on her paws wit my mother in law, she's gonna see out her days in total bliss and spoiled rotten.
    She's been in a few wars alright, quite a few scars but she's out of that now

The only small issue we had was the integration wit Brodi as my wife visits there a lot and takes Bro everywhere. Sure it'll come and thanks for the suggestions so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

scudzilla wrote: »
    she's gonna see out her days in total bliss and spoiled rotten.

Now that is a sentence I love to read :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement