Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned kittens

• 02-08-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Can someone please help me ASAP
    My son found 2 kittens this evening, my guess is around 10 days old.

They just won't feed for me, I've tried syringe and bottle but they are having none of it
    Any tips would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you tried stimulating them to go to the toilet first? When I was syringe feeding before they often wouldn't feed till they had a wee first, and then after the feed the would go again with a poop, might be worth a try, also if they are cold they won't feed as readily so make sure they have a nice hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket! Can be a bit tricky to get them to feed as they are the few days older than mine were when I got them so they would be more used to their mammies but just keep trying

one trick I used before on abonded kitttens was if you put milk and a bit of butter in bread and let the bread soak up the milk and butter so it goes kinda like a sponge,

They will suck the milk out of the bread! Worked for me before!

If you take the above advice, not sure how good bread would be nutritionally, but do not use cow milk because the last thing you need is the kittens getting diarrhoea and becoming dehydrated, they are so small they go down hill very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Irisheyes73

aaronc182 wrote: »
    one trick I used before on abonded kitttens was if you put milk and a bit of butter in bread and let the bread soak up the milk and butter so it goes kinda like a sponge,

They will suck the milk out of the bread! Worked for me before!
    I wouldn't be happy giving dairy to such young kittens.
    Thanks anyway

Yea they had their wee and both wrapped up cosy (wish it was me ðŸ˜)

Breaking my heart 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

If you can get kitten food and kitten milk get a large plate and make like slop with the kitten food and and milk and stand the kittens in it - they might be a bit young but it might encourage them to lick their paws and start them off weaning

I also found if you wet their lips with a drop of the formula, or tickle the sides of their mouths it can give them the idea, and if all else fails just very slowly and very very carefully syringe the formula into their mouth, they may not suck but at least if they'll get a small bit of nutrition from it! Have you any pictures of them?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

you should get royal canin babycat milk, it comes in a large tube, it contains the correct type milk and a little bottle for them to suck.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/cat_milk/207089?gclid=CMavh43J9L8CFcFZ2wodOSEAAg

its a hard slog feeding kittens that young, I've also been thru it and it can be touch and go at times, its well worth it in the end though.

good luck.

I don't know how to put up a picture here.
    After a long long long night accidentally milk spilled on my fingers at 5am and they suck the milk from them.

Thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

You can get the royal canin kitten milk pack in petshops or your local vet may have it.
    Good luck with it OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement