Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile - good value or false economy?

Options
  • 02-08-2014 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Been a Meteor customer for years. Getting 200 mins, 200 texts, 1GB of data and free meteor to meteor calls and texts for 20 Euro a month, SIM only.

Tesco Mobile are doing a SIM only deal, 10000 minutes and texts, free same network calls and texts and 15GB of data for 25 Euro.

I find myself going over my 1Gb limit so this looks like a great plan, Meteor charge 5 Euro for a measly extra 500MB.

But... I've read many complaints about connection issues with Tesco Mobile on the company forum here. I thought they used O2 infrastructure.

So are there many network issues with Tesco Mobile making this deal a false economy or should I go for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi,

Been a Meteor customer for years. Getting 200 mins, 200 texts, 1GB of data and free meteor to meteor calls and texts for 20 Euro a month, SIM only.

Tesco Mobile are doing a SIM only deal, 10000 minutes and texts, free same network calls and texts and 15GB of data for 25 Euro.

I find myself going over my 1Gb limit so this looks like a great plan, Meteor charge 5 Euro for a measly extra 500MB.

But... I've read many complaints about connection issues with Tesco Mobile on the company forum here. I thought they used O2 infrastructure.

So are there many network issues with Tesco Mobile making this deal a false economy or should I go for it?

Have a look at the deals on 48.......same system as O2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I've been with 48 for a year now after being with Meteor for 8 or 9. They're fantastic value but I have to admit the service can be a bit sketchy. Network's been totally down a few times, and I've had a good few incidents of people not getting my texts or me not getting theirs. Still though, for a tenner a month....

Here's my experience.

Tesco are grand when they work. Support are pretty good, I had a routing issue when I went to them due to a botched port from Meteor's side, and they sorted it within the day. Their data speeds were originally very low but that's not an issue anymore.

However, my opinion of them was tarnished when they went down three times in four months, on each occasion I had no use of my phone for over 12 hours. Although they use the O2 cells and towers, their back-end is completely different and this seems to be where their Achilles heel is. I can't confirm this for certain but I've been told that their back-end is shared with 48, Tesco Mobile UK and GiffGaff UK. So an outage on one would affect all four if this is true. GiffGaff certainly had an outage at the same time as the most recent Tesco and 48 outage.

If it never happens again, great. :) If it does, I wouldn't be too surprised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Im with tesco mobile on the tariff you are looking at. I find the service and signal pretty good and I have never had an issue. Was with both o2 and 3 before and tesco mobile is far better than them. never with meteor so I can't compare

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madamab

Tesco mobile are brilliant - I was with 02 and the dreaded emobile where they employ anyone to talk whatever way they wish to , to customers so it was such a pleasure to deal with helpful staff, who go that extra bit for you. 10 out of 10 for customer care. The rates are great though I am just over a year into a 50 euro a month contract which I dont mind cos again I have no intention of leaving. Their new rates are brilliant for sim only and I have every single one of my family on Tesco which is great for us all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement