Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some advice for new startup

Options
  • 02-08-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

hi lads, I was wondering if I could. pick your brains. I am a quilified electrician since 2003. I am going to setup a property maintanence company to in Clyde electrical work too. I just wanted to get your opinions on what testing equipment yous would see as crucial for this. working if a small startup capital. I've never had to deal with this part before. thanks for your advice .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I have seen an all in one fluke instrument for domestic work. It includes rcd tester loop impedance , multimeter etc costs about a grand. Apart from that I don't see you would need much else maybe a PAT for appliances etc. you will also have to join recci or essci to be able to issue certs etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I have seen an all in one fluke instrument for domestic work. It includes rcd tester loop impedance , multimeter etc costs about a grand. Apart from that I don't see you would need much else maybe a PAT for appliances etc. you will also have to join recci or essci to be able to issue certs etc

Good advice.

Basically you can't go wrong with Fluke.
    I had one of these all in one devices it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fp1

that sounds like the way to go so, I have just got the public liability Insurance in place, have all the eccsa forms ready to go now. I'm nervous of regulation changes since I was house bashing, would love to get a few days as a subby doing domestic to pick up a few bits. is three plate ceiling roses the way to go with twin Brown's dropped to a switch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

fp1 wrote: »
    is three plate ceiling roses the way to go with twin Brown's dropped to a switch?

i would say the t+e supply looped to switch is more common now

Would you connect the neutral outside the box? afaik or remember your not supposed to have a neutral in a switch , am I right ?

• Advertisement

Would you connect the neutral outside the box? afaik or remember your not supposed to have a neutral in a switch , am I right ?

i didn't hear anything about that
    some electricians use wagos

what's Wagos?

oh I googled it, never knew the name for them lever connectors., there dead handy.

Would anyone have a spare set of up to date regs I could buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Would anyone have a spare set of up to date regs I could buy?

Hard to get a second hand copy unless you know an apprentice that got a set in tech and doesn't want them anymore?

With regards subbying, where are you based?

• Advertisement

I'm in kildare but tend to travel to Dublin everyday for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

I'm in kildare but tend to travel to Dublin everyday for work.

I'm in a similar situation meself, not bitten the bullet yet though, did ecssa give you any trouble with inspections? I heard they're a lot easier to deal with than reci.

Hope it's gone well and you're kept ticking over, it's not an easy decision to make in this country even with things picking up and a few jobs lined up.

Best of luck, hope it goes well for ye, I've heard you can apply to Enterprise Ireland for a grant of up to €2000(depending on eligibility) and it has to be budgeted a certain way, X amount allocated to advertising etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

2011 wrote: »
    Good advice.

Basically you can't go wrong with Fluke.
    I had one of these all in one devices it was excellent.

Phone a calibration/repair agent and they will tell you how good Fluke really are. Fluke are common because there readily available and electrical wholesales have the biggest mark up on them.

The 1652B is rubbish the 1652C is newer but not out long enough to prove itself. An all in one tester is handy but if one function breaks then its garbage time.

Ask a calibration company will they certify a machine that has certain function issues. Also ask them what machine they recommend and they will probably tell you Fluke are good - after all they would have no work repairing if Flukes didn't constantly break

Google multifunction testers and make your own decision based on reviews is my advice...best of luck on your new venture.

Neutral is fine inside the box. I think you may be recalling that someone may of told you that neutrals are better outside the box as good practice but the theory behind that was over crowding and 230v potential. The 230v potential is not a valid excuse as the earth will give you the same potential (to live).

I personally like the neutrals not in the switch as then the switch is not that overcrowded.

that sounds like the way to go so, I have just got the public liability Insurance in place, have all the eccsa forms ready to go now. I'm nervous of regulation changes since I was house bashing, would love to get a few days as a subby doing domestic to pick up a few bits. is three plate ceiling roses the way to go with twin Brown's dropped to a switch?

You will be grand. You really need to do the certification and verification course first. Its very important to understand the rules before you take on any work. You should have a lot of knowledge since you last worked at electrical so you only really need to brush up on some stuff.

If you do decide to tear into some work just be aware that costs can be expensive to rectify at a later date. Simple things like 20 amp DP switches in kitchens, fuse-board height and RCBO on bathroom lights etc can be simple to do initially but very expensive afterwards especially if you need to re lift floors/chase walls again.

Keep your scope of works simple at the start until you get a feel for the regulations. I know your on a tight budget and don't want to employ an electrician to help you so why not go and work with an up to date electrician for free, maybe work on saturdays for him 9am-1pm....im sure you could do that for your own benefit also the electrician wont mind as he will get an extra pair of hands

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Par1 wrote: »
    Phone a calibration/repair agent and they will tell you how good Fluke really are. Fluke are common because there readily available and electrical wholesales have the biggest mark up on them.

The 1652B is rubbish the 1652C is newer but not out long enough to prove itself. An all in one tester is handy but if one function breaks then its garbage time.

Ask a calibration company will they certify a machine that has certain function issues. Also ask them what machine they recommend and they will probably tell you Fluke are good - after all they would have no work repairing if Flukes didn't constantly break

Google multifunction testers and make your own decision based on reviews is my advice...best of luck on your new venture.

I have been in this game of a long time and have yet to meet anyone that was disappointed with a Fluke test meter.
    I have owned a number of Fluke meters over the years, the most expensive being a multifunction test meter.
    They all served me well.

In 2012 I bought a Fluke 375 clamp meter from Insteco for commissioning VSDs.
    It is an awesome piece of kit.
    Apart from the usual functions and a backlit display it will also measure min / max / average / inrush current and frequency (via the clamp).
    From my experience over a number of years of buying equipment from Insteco I have absolute confidence that they will stand over their product should there be any issues.

I have been in this game of a long time and have yet to meet anyone that was disappointed with a Fluke test meter.
    I have owned a number of Fluke meters over the years, the most expensive being a multifunction test meter.
    They all served me well.

In 2012 I bought a Fluke 375 clamp meter from Insteco for commissioning VSDs.
    It is an awesome piece of kit.
    Apart from the usual functions and a backlit display it will also measure min / max / average / inrush current and frequency (via the clamp).
    From my experience over a number of years of buying equipment from Insteco I have absolute confidence that they will stand over their product should there be any issues.

Great to see a happy Fluke customer. I only have experience with the multifunction testers and i do not rate them at all. Fluke machines are better as individual units compared to multifunction.

Bring back the old analogue i say !! :)

Great to see a happy Fluke customer.

There is no shortage of us :)

That is not to say that other companies do not make great test equipment such as Megger and Robin.
    Bring back the old analogue i say !! :)

My father has an old analogue multimeter (looks like it is from the 1940s).
    It still works perfectly :)

There is no shortage of us :)

That is not to say that other companies do not make great test equipment such as Megger and Robin.

My father has an old analogue multimeter (looks like it is from the 1940s).
    It still works perfectly :)

Well now theres the real review (Life Experience).......Analogues are brilliant and amazingly simple im not surprised its still going, they are probably not the most trendy looking but by god they dont go down without a real fight :)

Well now theres the real review (Life Experience).......Analogues are brilliant and amazingly simple im not surprised its still going, they are probably not the most trendy looking but by god they dont go down without a real fight :)

Regardless of how good an electrical contractor is if they pull one of those analogue devices out it will not fill the customer with the same confidence that a Fluke with a backlit display would (even if the Fluke owner is a complete twat :D)

• Advertisement

Regardless of how good an electrical contractor is if they pull one of those analogue devices out it will not fill the customer with the same confidence that a Fluke with a backlit display would (even if the Fluke owner is a complete twat :D)

Would the customer even know the difference?....most customers couldn't give a hoot about testing or results. Once most customers see a light illuminating then they assume an installation is tested....(which incidental is how we used to test houses back in the 'good oul days' ) :)

Would the customer even know the difference?

I made the remark in jest, hence the smiley :D

But in this digital age most people know what looks state of the art and what looks prehistoric. But I accept your point is valid.

Metrel seem to be making moves in the multifunction tester market, you can get a lot of spec for decent money.

http://www.metrel.si/products/electrical-installations-safety/multifunction-testers-eurotest-family.html

Metrel seem to be making moves in the multifunction tester market, you can get a lot of spec for decent money.

http://www.metrel.si/products/electrical-installations-safety/multifunction-testers-eurotest-family.html

I generally steer clear of multifunction equipment, be it washer/dryers
    3-1 testers etc

don't like putting aol my eggs in one basket that way

3-1 testers etc

Your right, i agree.

3-1 testers etc

Each to thier own.

Separate test meters will cost more to buy, more to calibrate and if any one device fails then you can't complete the tests :)

Each to thier own.

Separate test meters will cost more to buy, more to calibrate and if any one device fails then you can't complete the tests :)

if one of the 3 separate test meters fail ,2 sets of test can be carried out

if the multifunctunction meter fails ,0 sets of test can be carried out

......and it both cases the installation remains uncertified.

Technically the 3 in 1 should not be used as it would not be certified. Certificates can only cover the whole tester and not partial functions....i think that's what mikeyjames9 meant

But you are right in saying that you could do the test on the other functions but i wouldn't be a fan of using defective testers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

+1 for the all in one multi meter.

I remember when I was serving my time this auld spark used to have me dragging around multiple meters testing circuits. He used to love his megger. The stuff looked like it should've been in an antique shop multiple cows were skinned just to make a case for these things but to be fair it never gave a minutes trouble.

in saying that if you keep a fluke meter in good nick and calibrate it once a year I see no reason it should give any issues they're a great tool.

OP a pat test meter is another good purchase they aren't as strict on that test over here as they are in England but it's only a matter of time before they are.

I'm not 100% on this but afaik you have to buy a copy of the regs as part of signing up to reci/ecssa.

Good Luck tough auld time to be starting out.

Advertisement