Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewards Cup Saturday Goodwood

• 02-08-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I'll start off in what looks like a poor Nassau.
    Venus De Milo is fav but cant have as she looks like an out and out stayer.
    The French horse has never races on anything faster than good to soft so i'd be wary of her.
    Im left with between Mango Diva who will relish the ground and Sultanina who on breeding will like it too and could improve for it.
    But i'll go with Mango Diva.

Onto the main event - always a tough race to call but this year there's 2 horses that look like they are Group horses in the waiting - Muthmir & Intrinsic, both share the lead of the market. Both coming from the back of impressive wins lto.
    However its not always that easy and often it pays to side with horses that have been in these types of races year in, year out.
    2 i'll put up at decent odds:

York Glory - will come late and fast and im happy to see Doyle back on board.
    &
    Rex Imperator - Won it last year and only 4lb higher. Haggas in great form and knows how to train one for a big handicap.

I know both are at the top of the handicap, but they're there for a reason and i really think both have great chances to nab a place at least.

Good luck if you follow!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I bet Droidman loves the Stewards Cup !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Yeah I have to agree this years Nassau is a poor excuse for a group 1. I,m having a small interest bet on sultnina.she was beaten comfortably lto in a group 2,hoping this 2f shorter trip will suit her better.

The stewards cup is the usual lottery,but one I have my eye on is flyman.hammered at ascot over 7f,didn't get the best of draws. If he can recapture a bit of his old form,33/1 could be tasty,small e/w nibble. €10 e/w @ 33/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Can't see past Muthmir myself, looks very progressive.
    Took 7/1 last night each-way paying 5 places.

Venus De Milo (7/2) should be hard to beat in the Nassau, I had a few quid on and also had a few quid on the nose on Eastern Belle (22/1) as that is one horse that has conditions right in her favour.

9/2 best price now.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'll start off in what looks like a poor Nassau.
    Venus De Milo is fav but cant have as she looks like an out and out stayer.
    The French horse has never races on anything faster than good to soft so i'd be wary of her.
    Im left with between Mango Diva who will relish the ground and Sultanina who on breeding will like it too and could improve for it.
    But i'll go with Mango Diva.

Onto the main event - always a tough race to call but this year there's 2 horses that look like they are Group horses in the waiting - Muthmir & Intrinsic, both share the lead of the market. Both coming from the back of impressive wins lto.
    However its not always that easy and often it pays to side with horses that have been in these types of races year in, year out.
    2 i'll put up at decent odds:

York Glory - will come late and fast and im happy to see Doyle back on board.
    &
    Rex Imperator - Won it last year and only 4lb higher. Haggas in great form and knows how to train one for a big handicap.

I know both are at the top of the handicap, but they're there for a reason and i really think both have great chances to nab a place at least.

Good luck if you follow!! :)

Nice post Slattsy, good luck with your bets.
    The French horse is very hard to weigh up but I rate her as the biggest danger to Venus De Milo. Trainer worried about the going and the bend, no French horse ever won the race and is rated the same as the o Brien horse. BUT being out of Dubawi, surely she can only improve on this quicker surface? The trainer is worried about the course apparently. Don't know why? A glance through the top 10 earning progeny of Dubawi shows that those who have run at Goodwood or similar courses have either won there or run with credit. Dubawi won on the course aswell.

I do agree that the trip is slightly on the sharp side for Venus, but this is such a poor Group 1 that I think she will get away with it.

• Advertisement

I always find Dubawi's love a bit of ease in the ground. Wasnt he best himself on soft?
    Clearly some will like faster going.

I always find Dubawi's love a bit of ease in the ground. Wasnt he best himself on soft?

Dubawi's progeny are weird, they either love heavy ground or love good to firm and in between they don't have a great record at all. So you're right, she will either love the ground today or absolutely hate it, backers of the French horse should know their fate early doors. I don't back French horses as a rule, simply because I can't work out the form.

No, he was best on good ground, never ran on soft.

Agree about backing French horses, unless British or Irish horses have come up against them on their 'home' turf then very hard to gauge them, so best avoid!
    Most wont like good to firm, as a general rule of thumb.

2.40 Goodwood Kings Fete

Being backed like its going to win here and seems to have been backed for the St Leger too.

• Advertisement

Have gone for Daylight ew here at 12/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

My fancy for today is when will it end, 5:00 Goodwood 2\1. Fav and skinny price but the Hannons have a Calvary of juveniles to choose from and they have been running well for the most part this week . Won his last race in good fashion at newmarket . this is a nursery (2yr old handicap) which I generally would avoid but I like this ones profile.

Have gone for Daylight ew here at 12/1.

Watch him over 7f next time, finished well.

Muthmir's form boosted there from the run with Tatlisu.

Muthmir's form boosted there from the run with Tatlisu.

Kind of,but not really.tatislu beat him lto,OK finished a decent third there,but its hard to gauge form from these big handicaps.

Along with the Muthmir bet, I put a small bet on Joey's Destiny who looks a big price @ 36 on Betfair. Won very cosily at Nottingham last time out, only up a few pounds but looks a progressive horse. Has winning form at Goodwood too which is a plus, Humidor ran well already today to finish 5th for the yard and Belgian Bill finished 5th in a big handicap yesterday... Could easily run a big race.

Shut up Droidy!

Shut up you!

Ok

Shut up Droidy!

I will set auldgranny on you!!

I'll let ya lol

• Advertisement

Jaysus, is that eejit gok wan ever off the TV!!!

Master of finance solid e/w for me in the next.

Really like Kings Fete here, although i dont like the drift, i was expecting to see money for it.

I had a very small each-way bet on Galactic Heroine each-way this morning @ 40's. Out of Galileo she is entitled to improve. She impressed me at Donny two starts back when she won in good style, and the 2nd that day was 8 lengths clear of the rest. She was involved in a messy tactical 3 runner affair at Thirsk last time out but the yard is in good nick and they are +£40 to level stakes at Goodwood with their runners.

Really like Kings Fete here, although i dont like the drift, i was expecting to see money for it.

Its drifting because the shrewdies like me are not backing it :)

Rain falling there now.

Good man Doyle, shocking ride.

Damn,wrong Johnston horse!

Manjo Diva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

GED Egan on atr site makes a good case for mango diva. I've had a win bet on.

Advertisement