Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you live REALLY close to a school? Advice please..

Options
  • 02-08-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have started looking around at houses, and so far, a couple of them have been REALLY close to a primary school. One in particular was practically on the grounds of one! I was thinking that if I had a child and wanted to put them into the school, I could literally drop them over the back wall in the morning!!

It puts me off a little bit, even though the OH says that we'd never hear them while working all day.

Anyone live that close to a school? Is it a nightmare situation at times or can it be mostly OK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Niamho! wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have started looking around at houses, and so far, a couple of them have been REALLY close to a primary school. One in particular was practically on the grounds of one! I was thinking that if I had a child and wanted to put them into the school, I could literally drop them over the back wall in the morning!!

It puts me off a little bit, even though the OH says that we'd never hear them while working all day.

Anyone live that close to a school? Is it a nightmare situation at times or can it be mostly OK?

I would see what it is like in sept for morning drop offs and afternoon pick ups. Where I live residents are plagued with parents a) parking across your driveway to drop off/pick up their darlings and b) stopping literally in the middle of the road, abandoning their cars to walk the kiddies into schools.

I was on maternity leave this year so saw it with my own eyes whereas usually I would be in work. In my own school where I work parents are a nightmare with their cars. They queue up a good 30 mins before school finishes, drive into out car part and block parked cars. (They are actually not allowed in the car park)!! Some days where I finish early I can come out and find I can't even leave as some parent has blocked me in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes - two primaries. Parking and inconsiderate driving are the issues, noise isn't. The creche by the last house was a terror for screaming kids all morning from 7am though, and didn't stop over the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I lived across the road from a primary school. Traffic will be bad and everyone is just stopping for a minute, which adds up when the person in from and behind are doing it too. The bell and children were loud but is only a problem at 11ish and laterso as long as you dont work nights it shouldnt be a problem. If you drive though inconsiderate pricks thinking the world should just wait because they are too lazy to park somewhere will cause problems if you have to share a road or go past the school entrance.

I remember one occasion of a mother who was driving a massive range rover literally stopping in the middle of the road, she got out and took the kids into school and left her car!!! No one could over take her and the other cars couldn't even pass!! I ended up being late for my ante natal appointment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭BQQ

The only issue really is the traffic/parking at drop off and pick up times, but if you have kids you're going to hit a traffic jam whatever school you go to.
    With it being on your doorstep, you could walk and the traffic won't bother you.
    Noise is not a factor unless the sound of kids having fun for 15 minutes in the middle of the day bothers you for some reason.

It's really handy to be able to walk over and back in 2 mins. You'd be surprised at the number of times you need to go there - paying for stuff, parent teacher meetings, fundraising events etc.

Edit: I see from reading OP again that you don't have kids yet, so no advantages for you yet.
    If you intend driving around the same time school starts/ends, that might be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Find out what happens in the grounds after hours: if it's securely closed, no problems. If not, then it could be a haven for ASB. (Yes, I used to live next door to a school many years ago, and called the cops a number of times as a result.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

My housing estate is beside a massive school and its carnage trying to get into and out of the area during those times. Blocked driveway etc.
    Luckily I leave a lot earlier and avoid all that crap.

Ignorants bastards absolutely destroyed the grass verge outside my house during rain.
    I've put out white painted large rocks to attempt to prevent them from parking on mine but the scumbags actually drove over them in their SUVs wrecking the place even more.
    The next car I find parked there will be badly damaged and potentially the owner too.
    I am moving out of the area (not because of this to be fair) but it would definitely be a factor in future relocations :D

(Woman + SUV) x 300 = DISASTER
    You can call me sexist if you wish but I don't care.
    I have not had one single incident with a male parent driver in my time here.

OP I forgot to mention I work and live in south dublin so it's not like there is a reason for all these range rovers!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I live like 3 doors up from a primary school. The school is very securely locked up out of hours so it doesn't attract much anti-social behaviour. Leaving the house at 8.50 or 2.30 in a pain in the bum but apart from that, we don't hear a peep out of them. That said, the yard is on the other side of the school than ours so that certainly minimises a lot of the noise. We both lived in the area before we bought the house so we did know the area well enough so that made it a little easier too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Millem wrote: »
    OP I forgot to mention I work and live in south dublin so it's not like there is a reason for all these range rovers!!! :)
    But dahling, all the other girls have one!
    Find out what happens in the grounds after hours: if it's securely closed, no problems. If not, then it could be a haven for ASB. (Yes, I used to live next door to a school many years ago, and called the cops a number of times as a result.)
    Yes, I used to live opposite a primary school whose alarm was set off at some stage of the night several times each week. Was never clear if it was actual intruders or a faulty alarm. Eventually the resident's association convinced the school to silence the external speaker as the security firm was notified by other means. But large unattended buildings/grounds can attract unwanted attention.

More generally, a house that backs onto school grounds is a bit easier for burglars to target. Then again its more private than another house being there. It wouldn't put me off necessarily.

The traffic issue really is confined to fairly short windows during the day. If the morning window coincides with your departure time then it can be a pa alright but it depends on the specific local road and parking situation.

And in summer, the silence is golden.
    Niamho! wrote: »
    ... I was thinking that if I had a child and wanted to put them into the school, I could literally drop them over the back wall in the morning!! ...
    My niece's school is directly behind her house and she tried this when they moved in. Was stopped on day two - health and safety, blah, blah, blah. So now she has to walk fifteen minutes around to the school in a sulk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Zamboni wrote: »

(Woman + SUV) x 300 = DISASTER
    You can call me sexist if you wish but I don't care.
    I have not had one single incident with a male parent driver in my time here.

I'm a woman, and sadly I must agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am management in a school and if you heard all the various things that go on from parents to students and illegal activity, i would never buy a house beside a school. Or a gaa/soccer club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Parking issues aren't just a problem at drop off and pick up times at most schools. Almost every school I know, including the one I lived beside for over ten years, is used at night/weekends by community groups and/or night classes. Add in car boot sales and other events on school grounds, parking and traffic can be problems on a more regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

When I lived in London, I once lived beside a primary school and opposite a High School, and doctor's on the other side of the road. Nightmare doesn't even cover it.

The little ones to be fair were never a problem noise wise, as they were usually with their Mums & Dads. Parking was awful. As others have mentioned you get some fine examples of ignorant and selfish parking...I was once boxed in so tight I needed a tin opener to get out. Wandered round, steam coming out of my ears as I was late for work. Eventually found the selfish cow having a lovely chat with her mate in the primary school yard. Asked her very politely to move her car as she was blocking me in. She tells me to WAIT. Excuse me, I says. I then let fly - BIG TIME. Told her if she didn't move her ******* car in the next 30 seconds, I would not be responsible for my actions. She then literally ran with her mate to her car with me in hot pursuit...Never saw her there again, mind.

The older kids? Litter and noise being the two major problems. Got so fed up, I collected two bin bags full of rubbish, made an appointment with the headmaster and left them with him. No more litter for a little while. The odd dust-up outside my house as well - usually as I'm trying to work. Oh - and I came home one day to find my wall pushed down! Neighbours told me there was a massive ruck outside my house that day, and the police had to be called!

The joys! Never again...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I live next door to a school, I can't turn left at start and end time.

I had to make a complaint to the principal when I got stuck on the footpath with my kids in a buggy, for 100 metres there were cars parked on the footpath and I couldn't get off the path, they were all bumper to bumper.

the principle said she had no control over the parents, she then asked what year my kids would be enrolling in, I said there's no way I could send my kids to a school where it's too dangerous to walk on the footpath outside.

I agree with the danger of houses backing onto the school getting Broken into. all the houses in my street with their back garden adjoining the school have alarms.

Unfortunately there is no talking to parents. Local residents think we can say what must happen re parking but there is no talking to some parents. I have had parents take me on because my parking in the staff car park delayed them......

TheDriver wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no talking to parents. Local residents think we can say what must happen re parking but there is no talking to some parents. I have had parents take me on because my parking in the staff car park delayed them......

They are a bit crazy sometimes! My only complaint is parking and driving tbh. I have never heard of any anti social behaviour in the schools beside me or where I work. I have heard of crazy horror stories of a school where I friend works that they have to have 24 hour security as some lunatics constantly rob the place and have set it on fire :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My back garden shares a boundary wall with a school. You might get a bit of noise at break times and that but it's not overly distracting. Like many others have said the main PITA is parents seemingly abandoning their cars around the place around 9 and 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

Interjection.
    The sound of children playing at breaktime is magical.
    Montmartre Cemetery is beside a primary school and when you are in the cemetery it is just lovely. Silence, the Bell rings, wave of sound from hundreds of children playing for 15 minutes, Bell rings and serenity returns.
    You may now return to your discussion.

if you heard our bell, all I can say is I hope no one is asleep next door between 9 and 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How close is the place where football can be played to your windows, and do kids play football there after the school has finished?
    Millem wrote: »
    I have heard of crazy horror stories of a school where I friend works that they have to have 24 hour security as some lunatics constantly rob the place and have set it on fire :eek:
    Sounds like a particular school someone I know works at, in North Dublin (but south of the M50).

Also, if your back garden backs to the school ground, some pupils on the late side may hop over your back wall to get in (my local had the principal sometimes waiting at the gate to take the names of those late whilst I was there, before they got all the doors to automatically lock). Also handy at lunchtimes, and people deciding to leave school early. The kids quickly find out which houses are empty during the day very quickly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I live really near one but the child did not get a place in it so ended up having to drive 50km a day to go to another one.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I live really near one but the child did not get a place in it so ended up having to drive 50km a day to go to another one.

Oh moonbeam that is terrible! I don't know how you manage that! The_syco I think we are talking about the same school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You'd have to do a lot of research about the school but I wouldn't go near one if I were you. The nature of the students can change over the years. Within 5 years you could go from a respectful attendance to having the equivalent of wild animals next story. (Not the teachers fault by the way, just the individuals themselves)

I've heard some horror stories from friends who had kids hiding out in the garden and the level of noise at certain times during the day is shocking. Plus there's always more a chance of damage and break-ins from disgruntled students.

Also I don't know what your life plan is, but if you are ever thinking of working from home it wouldn't be advisable. Plus if I were a kid again I would hate the idea of my school very close to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moonbeam wrote: »

Ah that's a disaster altogether.

I live about 1 min walk from a primary school and we have no problem with traffic. There is a decent set down area and the school is fairly small.

I had completely assumed my chiidren would go there, and have their names down... But it's suddenly become uber-fashionable. Grr.

Did u try a section 29 appeal? Sounds odd unless there were no grounds for objection e.g. It was full due to brothers and sisters

TheDriver wrote: »
    Did u try a section 29 appeal? Sounds odd unless there were no grounds for objection e.g. It was full due to brothers and sisters

Maybe it was their enrolment policy? My school fills up so so quick, alot of students don't get offered a place because of religion, they are too far down the list, it doesn't matter if they live next door! I have applied for schools for my baby son and I couldn't believe that a certain Gaelscoil in south dublin didn't take location into it. Supposedly they have students from Dundalk to wexford.

True but section 29 appeals and consultation with tulsa can probe enrollment policies. Also remember schools are built in X to serve community X.

Advertisement