Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Steps: RBA

Options
  • 02-08-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Been vaping now for 11 months. In that time I've gone through a few ego batteries, which are nice and handy for on the go. Recently bought a MVP for at home and in the car. It came with an iclear30 tank, which is not bad at all and a significant improvement on the Aspire BDCs I was using.

Now, however, I want to see what all the fuss is about with rebuildables.
    I'm leaning towards hcigar Kayfun 3.1 or ehpro Kayfun lite.

Any advice on the above, or suggestions for someone who has no experience but tonnes of patience, would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Taifun.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Taifun.

Short but sweet!
    Why the Taifun?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

I wouldn't know too much about the two, I saw some good reviews for both and surely there are many here who are more in the knowledge, but if you're ok with the wait, check this one below. I ordered it a few months back and I couldn't be happier with it.
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/1700500

Thanks for reply. Waiting not an issue, just got a mini protank 3 and it's surprisingly good. Is that your first rebuildable?

MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    Is that your first rebuildable?

My first RBA, yes. But I've rebuit a huge stack of protank heads (when they had the aul model with the long center pin), started off with some silica and normal coils, then failed miserably with stainless steel mesh, then moved on to cotton and microcoils and that's where I found the best setup. It's harder to rebuild a protank head, due to its limited spacing and fiddling and all. RBAs are a breeze, dead easy and so many useful tutorials out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

The Kayfun that Boogietime linked for you is a great piece of kit,it's easy to build and they seem to have ironed out the problems some of the other models had.
    I did have to deepen the vertical channel on one side of mine but that only took a few minutes with a file.The trick to getting a good vape on it is the amount of wick you use,too much and you choke the coil and get dry hits,too little and you can get flooding.
    If you order from FT pay the extra Dollar and use Swiss Post as carrier, you should have it in about 10 days.
    That will give you plenty of time to watch build videos on YT.

Cool, will give it a go. Thanks for replies.

No bother,
    They also sell prewrapped coils if you don't have any building supplies yet.The resistance you chose will depend on the battery you are using.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10007182/1591708

These are Nichrome,not quite as good as Kantal but not bad either.

Handy. I have no building supplies, will order everything in one go. Currently using the itaste MVP.

The ones I linked are 1.8 ohm so they will be fine on that.
    Grab yourself a bag of Tesco Organic Cotton balls,boil a handful and let them dry and you have a lot of wick.

Just noticed that the Kayfun doesn't ship for 7 days.
    When ordering from FT always try and keep stuff they have in stock or ships next day in the same order otherwise 1 item can hold your shipment for ages and if you keep each order under 22 Euros you won't be hit with vat.

• Advertisement

I'll keep that in mind. Can't order for a couple of days anyway. Loads of time to educate myself on all the "ins and outs" of the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Loads of time to educate myself on all the "ins and outs" of the equipment.

You certainly have if you order from Fasttech :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You really can't go wrong with a Kayfun, i'd get the lite, over the 3.1 if i was you, the 3.1 is a pain in the t!ts to fill, and the collector tank on the bottom is great for catching juice if it over wicks, but it's another point of maintenance that you don't really want to be cleaning every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Short but sweet!
    Why the Taifun?

i find the build quality to be better,bigger chamber,nice weight to it,any drip tip,better system to build and wick.

i just think its better all round

eeloe wrote: »
    You really can't go wrong with a Kayfun, i'd get the lite, over the 3.1 if i was you, the 3.1 is a pain in the t!ts to fill, and the collector tank on the bottom is great for catching juice if it over wicks, but it's another point of maintenance that you don't really want to be cleaning every day.

True that, I've the both and the kayfun 3.1 is quite a bit longer with that bottom tray-collector-thingy and don't get me started on filling... The "lite +" is fantastic, it's all I use nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Boogietime wrote: »
    True that, I've the both and the kayfun 3.1 is quite a bit longer with that bottom tray-collector-thingy and don't get me started on filling... The "lite +" is fantastic, it's all I use nowadays.

KF Lite is all I use these days too, having two on the go. Great yokes. Save a fortune on not having to buy bits and bobs especially new coils, atomisers etc. So my running costs consists of just juice these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Been thinking about getting a Fogger v4. Anyone got one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Just got one last week. Haven't build it yet though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The quality/design of these you get from FT seems to be wildly variable, bit of a lottery buying one. I'd say there great if you got a good one and set it up right though, dual coil vape quality in a tank.

Pique wrote: »
    Just got one last week. Haven't build it yet though :(

Let us all know how you get on pls when you get round to building it

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    The quality/design of these you get from FT seems to be wildly variable, bit of a lottery buying one. I'd say there great if you got a good one and set it up right though, dual coil vape quality in a tank.

Have read a few stories about mixed quality. Might wait to see how Pique gets on or just buy a Kayfun lite+ or a Taifun instead

Shinobollo wrote: »
    Have read a few stories about mixed quality. Might wait to see how Pique gets on or just buy a Kayfun lite+ or a Taifun instead

Right finally built it and here's the DL.

Pros:
    Well Made. Feels solid, threads and seals are all nice and smooth.
    Holds a lot of juice.
    Good vape (not great and not as good as my Russian IMO).
    Looks...well that's 50:50. It's just 'meh'.
    Top fill screw (no need to remove from mod to refill).
    No leaking (yet).
    Flavour and heat is fine (kinda cool vape but that suits me) but I only managed one coil so far and it was a 2 ohm result when I would rather be 1.5 or so.

Cons:
    Utter utter PIG to coil!! :mad: The posts are sooo close to the sides that it makes it a be-atch to wrap the wire around it without causing a short (I took 3 tries to get one set properly).
    No post holes for wire.
    Wick has to go across the coil chamber, through 2 notches and then is held down by a little rubber band. If you're not very careful, you could catch the coil in the band and mess it up. (I did this twice).
    I can imagine rewicking could be an issue compared to the Russian as you could easily fcuk up your coil if you're not very careful.
    Cannot be used without the plastic tank. If you use juices that can crack the plastic, then you're sh1t outta luck. The Russian can be used with or without the plastic bit.

Bottom line, I prefer the Russian. Mine had a leaky bottom screw which I had to seal to stop leaking and now can only fill it using the top fill method which can result in leaking for a few minutes. PITA but I still prefer the vape, ease of coiling, flavour, clouds, and looks.

If you can get a good Russian 91% clone (with a fill screw that works!!), get it. If you have one and want something that holds more juice and are willing to curse at an RBA for being such a PITA to coil (but which holds a ton of juice) fine, go for the Fogger.

Me, I'll use it as a backup. Russki FTW comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Right finally built it and here's the DL.

Pros:
    Well Made. Feels solid, threads and seals are all nice and smooth.
    Holds a lot of juice.
    Good vape (not great and not as good as my Russian IMO).
    Looks...well that's 50:50. It's just 'meh'.
    Top fill screw (no need to remove from mod to refill).
    No leaking (yet).
    Flavour and heat is fine (kinda cool vape but that suits me) but I only managed one coil so far and it was a 2 ohm result when I would rather be 1.5 or so.

Cons:
    Utter utter PIG to coil!! :mad: The posts are sooo close to the sides that it makes it a be-atch to wrap the wire around it without causing a short (I took 3 tries to get one set properly).
    No post holes for wire.
    Wick has to go across the coil chamber, through 2 notches and then is held down by a little rubber band. If you're not very careful, you could catch the coil in the band and mess it up. (I did this twice).
    I can imagine rewicking could be an issue compared to the Russian as you could easily fcuk up your coil if you're not very careful.
    Cannot be used without the plastic tank. If you use juices that can crack the plastic, then you're sh1t outta luck. The Russian can be used with or without the plastic bit.

Bottom line, I prefer the Russian. Mine had a leaky bottom screw which I had to seal to stop leaking and now can only fill it using the top fill method which can result in leaking for a few minutes. PITA but I still prefer the vape, ease of coiling, flavour, clouds, and looks.

If you can get a good Russian 91% clone (with a fill screw that works!!), get it. If you have one and want something that holds more juice and are willing to curse at an RBA for being such a PITA to coil (but which holds a ton of juice) fine, go for the Fogger.

Me, I'll use it as a backup. Russki FTW comrade.

I think that is the v1 you have the v4 is supposed to be much better quality.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I think that is the v1 you have the v4 is supposed to be much better quality.

It's the V2 I got. Nothing wrong with the quality. It's the design regarding the position of the posts that irk me. Lack of post holes is inexcusable in this day and age too.

Edit. I got the v2 on the foot of plenty of research on them. The v3 has the same design but the v4 seems to have gone the Russian route regarding the walls surrounding the coil chamber. (ie. They're gone). Either way the v2 has better overall reviews from my looking. The v4 dies seem to be better on that aspect but I'll wait for others to comment on the rest of it.

It's the V2 I got. Nothing wrong with the quality. It's the design regarding the position of the posts that irk me. Lack of post holes is inexcusable in this day and age too.

Edit. I got the v2 on the foot of plenty of research on them. The v3 has the same design but the v4 seems to have gone the Russian route regarding the walls surrounding the coil chamber. (ie. They're gone). Either way the v2 has better overall reviews from my looking. The v4 dies seem to be better on that aspect but I'll wait for others to comment on the rest of it.

The V2 and V4 are completely different designs, the V4 is designed for dual coils and has 2 negative posts.

I don't think there's very much difference between the V1 and V2, the V2 is meant to be slightly easier to build as you can remove the walls around the posts, which you can't on the V1. I have the V1 but don't use it very much for that reason. When I have used it usually leaks for 10 minutes, then works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

The fogger V4 is fine to build and rewick, apparently its a huge improvement over the V2 but i have not used the V2 so cannot say personally. I bought a black v4 as im just fed up of all the shiny vape stuff :p.

BeansBeans wrote: »
    The fogger V4 is fine to build and rewick, apparently its a huge improvement over the V2 but i have not used the V2 so cannot say personally. I bought a black v4 as im just fed up of all the shiny vape stuff :p.

Does it have 3 posts? The only pics I've seen of the V4 show 2 posts.

Does it have 3 posts? The only pics I've seen of the V4 show 2 posts.

Sorry you're correct, only 1 negative post but 2 airholes for dual coils and 4 juice channels. See review and build instructions here: http://www.fasttech.com/forums/1670700/t/1266538/review-3-parts-the-fogger-v4-fogging-like-a-fogger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Just bought a CATS Dripper clone (cigreen version) for $20 a week or so ago and it is definitely one of THE best dripping-style atomizer designs out there IMHO for a number of reasons.

1. Easy to build as its got a HUGE well spaced flat deck to build on and nice big screws everywhere and no need to be careful about the airhole placement whatsoever.
    2. Will do (up to) quad coils with nearly no effort and almost impossible to screw up a build.
    3. HUGE adjustable air controls
    4. HUGE capacity - I get about 15-20 mins of dual coil chain vaping without needing to top up.
    ^ about 1.5ml top ups after wick soakage - remember this isn't a tank though.
    5. MASSIVE Vapour production.
    6. Small - only 47mm including the delrin/alu driptip which comes with it.

However the BIGGEST plus point is the fact that its completely leak and drip free, I leave this thing filled horizontal on my desk, throw it in my pocket not a single drop comes out. Light colored shirts can be worn again !

14721049140_77dcecb273_z.jpg

14737336830_f873840733_z.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement