Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos :-)

• 02-08-2014 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I know they're not classy but I do like burritos. I'd like to make my own at home. I'm sure they're not too hard. Any of you guys do them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've made some breakfast burritos in the past and was pretty happy with them!

Nothing like scrambled eggs, fried peppers, chorizo, cheese & salsa, all drowned in hot sauce. Good Morning FortuneChip!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Love making tacos and burritos. Good recipe for quick spicy shreddable beef http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-chipotle-shredded-beef-for-burritos-or-tacos-294280.

Mush up some kidney beans with cumin and cayenne in a pan, throw in a chopped tomato, some onion and some shredded meat, spice it up however you like it. Bit of rice on the tortilla, bean/meat mush on top, cheese on top of that, wrap it up and throw in the oven for 5 mins. In that 5mins make some pico de gallo, and serve with some sour cream on the side. Yum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Who cares about classy,they are delicious. Rice and refiried beans with chipotle sauce, cheese, beef and some veg. Delish! Plenty of recipes on net, find one u like and all ingredients are easily available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Came across this thread other day so had to make some burritos!

Mince beef mashed kidney beans cumin chilli powder onion garlic chilli flakes and fair auld lashing of Carolina reaper chill sauce all fried together!

Layer the wraps with some savory rice meat mix then cheese and lettuce wrap and toast!

Fecking sexy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Everyyyone loves burritos. Best to serve them almost like a buffet, let people pick their own fillings. Only problem is keeping all the components warm during serving, I don't got bain-maries etc like a restaurant :(

Lidl had a mexican week not long ago, and were selling all the hard-to-get bits like refried beans for dead cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

I made them from scratch the other day.

I made it up as I went but recipe went something like this:

I did about 6 oyster blades(keep the steaks whole, cut off any excess fat), can of tinned diced tomatoes, Mexican spices(ground cumin, dried coriander, paprika, chilli powder, garlic powder and oregano), salt, small carton of beef stock, corriander roots then enough water to cover the meat. Cooked for about 5 hours in slow cooker on high. I also added a tablespoon of hot sauce and a few drops of liquid smoke.

Made a corn, tomato and avocado salsa. Small cherry tomatoes, corn (I boiled fresh corn, let it cool and then cut off the cob, but have also used tinned and works fine) and an avocado. Slice the tomatoes into quarters, cut the avocado into cubes, add corn, finely minced jalapenos (I used ones from a jar), lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.

On the tortilla, I mashed up some avocado, layered the beef and salsa, also using some of the tomatoes and juices left over in the slow cooker, a couple of dashes of hot sauce, fresh coriander (I hate this stuff but it goes too well with Mexican food not to use it!)

It works out really well. The juices from the steaks and salsa is enough that you don't need a sauce over the top of it.

One thing I would change is up the spices a little, add more paprika to give it a bit more of a kick

Advertisement