Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dot1q trunk from one to multiple

Options
  • 02-08-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Hope you can help please !

I have a single switch with 6 vlans and one trunk port at the main site.

This has to connect to 3 separate locations, each location with its own switch with a trunk port.

These 3 switches come back via a microwave network to be connected to the main switch again.

Basically a single switch with a dot1q port broke out and connecting to 3 separate switches each with their own trunk port.

I have run it in packet tracer using a hub as the microwave network. It works fine in that, I just want to check it would 'actually' work or could it cause problems in real life !

Cheers !
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

How about a diagram?

If I have the right configuration in my mind then in theory this should work, but I wouldn't be keen on running an inter-site network like this.

Also, it's very important to bear in mind that any radio-based network is inherently broadcast - how are you planning to secure this traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mark206000

We have ethernet data encryptors, it's a private network also so all should be good.

I think it will just depend on how the microwave gear handles the traffic.

But as usual, a wee job turns into a big job once you have a look at it. What I was told where bridged links are routed with NAT and all sorts on it.

Thanks for the reply !

Advertisement