Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People parking across my driveway!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

OP, have you considered baking a cake for the people who leave cars parked across your driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mack_1111 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what options are available to me? As we speak I can't enter or leave my property by car as the neighbour has literally parked across my driveway, there's no one at home when I knocked... There's a lot of Holliday homes in the estate so we tend to be subject to a lot of careless and selfish parking! :confused:
    Is there a role for the Gardai or am I within my legal right to have the car towed away?

If someone blocks your drive, call the Gardai and they will remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I used to live right across from thomond park in Limerick and as you can guess this problem was HUGE on match days and even worse on concert days! And it was bad during the college year too with LIT around the corner.

It would happen a few times a year that someone would decide to block the driveway and sometimes even with the car still in it! I had no problem calling the guards to come have it towed away which they did in a timely manner each time. They would ring a third party to do the towing and the whole process would be over in 30 minutes or so.

I would often got people knocking on the door freaking out that their car was robbed and had I seen anyone around it. I would just scoff at them and tell them it's been impounded and to get in contact with the guards.

They would get annoyed but would usually go away sharpish to sort out getting their car back. I had death threats once but I rang the guards again and they met him at the impound and put him straight is the story I heard.

I have a car parked half way across my driveway this morning. I think I could still manage to reverse out if I needed to. It's a 2000 reg Passat, NCT and tax discs have 2013 dates, insurance looks okay. I have already let the local Gardai know.

If I see the driver coming back, I might just give them a big hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

No Pants wrote: »
    OP, have you considered baking a cake for the people who leave cars parked across your driveway?
    If I see the driver coming back, I might just give them a big hug.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MugMugs wrote: »
    :confused:

I think they might be euphemisms to prevent advocating illegal behaviour.

I think they might be euphemisms to prevent advocating illegal behaviour.
    Yes, I have decided to love my fellow man. I have not yet decided on whether to perform any associated physical act while bending him over the bonnet of his badly-parked car.

Car is moved now. Owner drove off while I was on a call. I suspect that it might actually be an unmarked Garda car because the Gardai didn't seem enthusiastic about doing anything about it, despite the fact that it had no tax or NCT. All the laws in the world don't matter a ****e if the people that are supposed to enforce them cannot be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Yes, I have decided to love my fellow man. I have not yet decided on whether to perform any associated physical act while bending him over the bonnet of his badly-parked car.

Car is moved now. Owner drove off while I was on a call. I suspect that it might actually be an unmarked Garda car because the Gardai didn't seem enthusiastic about doing anything about it, despite the fact that it had no tax or NCT. All the laws in the world don't matter a ****e if the people that are supposed to enforce them cannot be bothered.

You can do anything you want in this world unless:
    1. There is a rule that prohibits the action
    2. Somebody has the authority to enforce the rule.
    3. That person is arsed.

All three must co-exist to prevent you from doing what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Fair point but a ticket is no good to me really when I still can't get out.

Keep ringing the Guardfs and getting the cars either ticket and if the Guards can't contact the owners while there you can insist on them removing the vehicle as it is blocking access to your property including emergency access.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Keep ringing the Guardfs and getting the cars either ticket and if the Guards can't contact the owners while there you can insist on them removing the vehicle as it is blocking access to your property including emergency access.

People have alot of faith in the Guards. In my situation they were not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    People have alot of faith in the Guards. In my situation they were not interested.
    Then you contact their superintendant and ask him how fast they would move if you parked across his driveway, tell him his officers are a disgrace to him as their manager and to An Garda Siochána.

They will be back at your door in minutes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unfortumately not all superintendants care either and prefer to keep peace at the station. I am sure there are good and bad ones around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

It doesn't matter whether someone is parked in the driveway or not! It is illegal to block someone's point of exit/entry !!

Advertisement