Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you know now that you wish you knew then?!

Options
  • 02-08-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    we're having our first baby which is due around mid december. we're currently looking around at nursery stuff and buggys and clothes and everything basically!! we went looking at travel systems today and in tony kealys (where the staff were excellent) they were recommending the bugaboo chamelon and uppavista. they weren't cheap but at the same time we'll pay for what we need.
    so i'm just wondering, for those who've had their first already, what would you consider are the essentials?? are there certain things that you should buy brand new (travel systems, cots, etc) or should we be going with second hand stuff?? should we take a trip to ikea to stock up on gear?? any info or advice that you wish you'd known before you bought (or didn;t buy) in preparation for the new arrival!
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The truest thing anyone ever said to me was "you only know what you really need for a new baby after the baby is born" :) A lot of the stuff we were certain we would use was never used at all and we spent the first few weeks running to mothercare picking up things we hadn't even thought of :o There's a brilliant thread on things people found useful for a new baby here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89967103

Personally, the tiny love 3 in 1 rocker was the best thing we bought. It was the only thing our little man would sleep in for the first few weeks. Also the clevamama sleep positioner which is great for reflux and brilliant at stopping the baby startling himself awake :)

As far as travel systems go, I think a lot of people find them a bit of a waste. I would definitely do my research if I were you and take into consideration how often you will use your buggy and what for. We picked out a Graco system on the spur of the moment because it was on sale, thinking that I wouldn't really use it that much so it would be fine. Turns out after my baby was born, I took a liking to going for a walk every day and the buggy was way too heavy and unmanageable for me :( We ended up going and spending another €250 on a baby jogger mini which I LOVE. If we had only looked into it in the first place we would have saved a lot of money :)

Keep an eye out on amazon for stuff, they often have things reduced to half the price of what you'd pay in the shops here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

An Uppababy Vista was bought as a gift for us, and it's brilliant and lovely and we appreciate it so much ... but, at the end of the day, it's money that would be best worth elsewhere, in my opinion. It's worth the price of a secondhand car, and honestly, I'd rather have the car (we don't have one!) It's grand, but it does nothing that a cheaper buggy wouldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The thing that I splashed out on that wasn't essential but was really really great to have was an isofix base for the car seat - saved faffing about with the seatbelt every time. The thing I really wished I had bought but didn't is a really good chair for feeding, my back and shoulders killed me for weeks. If I ever have a second baby I'll be investing in a good chair, and a second Moses basket and stand for downstairs - they're quite cheap, we dragged ours up & down the stairs every day. (If you buy a travel system with a carrycot you could use that instead)

Ultimately, the only things you HAVE to buy new are the car seat and the mattress for the Moses basket/cot. Everything else can be second hand, bar maybe bottles if you are formula/expressed breast milk feeding. There are some great bargains to be had buying 2nd hand buggies etc. You will most likely buy stuff you don't need, and buy stuff after the baby comes that you didn't know you needed! The good thing is baby stuff holds it's value, so you can sell on all the expensive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    The thing that I splashed out on that wasn't essential but was really really great to have was an isofix base for the car seat - saved faffing about with the seatbelt every time. The thing I really wished I had bought but didn't is a really good chair for feeding, my back and shoulders killed me for weeks. If I ever have a second baby I'll be investing in a good chair, and a second Moses basket and stand for downstairs - they're quite cheap, we dragged ours up & down the stairs every day. (If you buy a travel system with a carrycot you could use that instead)

Ultimately, the only things you HAVE to buy new are the car seat and the mattress for the Moses basket/cot. Everything else can be second hand, bar maybe bottles if you are formula/expressed breast milk feeding. There are some great bargains to be had buying 2nd hand buggies etc. You will most likely buy stuff you don't need, and buy stuff after the baby comes that you didn't know you needed! The good thing is baby stuff holds it's value, so you can sell on all the expensive stuff.

Good call on the chair. I got a lovely glider/rocker and foot stool for about €200 but it was one of the few things that I had to buy. Most of our big stuff were hand me downs except for the travel system, high chair and jumperoo. We still get great use out of the chair even though I finished breast feeding months ago. She gets a snuggle and her first and last bottle of the day in it. That comfy chair was very welcome during many a late night! We have a bungalow so the second basket wouldn't be an issue for us really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

That entire travel systems really might not be necessary. And if you do get one, consider the size of the chassis vs your car boot, will you fit groceries in on top?

Kinda wish instead of buying our travel system that we had been really thrifty and bought a Phil & Ted, as that can be a single and double and we have no 2 on the way so need a double now.

All babies are different too, our baby didn't like lying flat in the pram, she loved lying with her arms spread out too and hated the Moses basket, I ended up bfing for an age as she loved it so much, she hated slings, I could go on. So there was loads of stuff we bought, loads of stuff we hadn't bought and ended up coveting and loads of things we had to adapt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

What I wish i never then is that babies are so portable before 9ish months.
    Try and take them out when you can fir a coffee or a meal what ever. Before they want to move/stand by themselves they are easy to take places.

also take whatever help is offered to you fir babysitting etc.

And for the first few months sleep when baby sleeps. A tidy house is great but a well rested Mammy (or either parent) is magical.

Do still try and spend time with partner and/or friends when possible.

Learn to ignore those who tell you junior should be going xyz and that their bundle was doing backflips sleeping the night by 5wks.
    Competitive parents are the enemy. Do not fall into the trap.

Also phn told me to get dressed when i got up first thing. It prevents an unannounced visitor catching yiu still in pjs at 2pm.

For me the invaluable thing we bought was the Braun thermometer. Just fantastic.
    Also have calpol and paralink suppositories in house . first high temp will be at 3am. Scary stuff.

Nursery rhyme books and CDs. Sometimes it's hard to talk but you can always sing along

Gro bags were a firm favourite here too.

Always have changing bag filled with a change of clothes, nappies wipes and creams. So if yiu must leave in hurry all you need to organise is food for baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Also I do agree that a buggy that converts to a double is great.
    I had quinny initially and then got a Phil n teds. Pnt is a great buggy.
    I've seen friends with bugaboo and ups baby that are both excellent buggys.
    I was very impressed with uppa baby tbh.

I liked floor mats and baby gyms for baby.
    A decent seat is great too.

Loads of muslin cloths and bibs.

Use cotton wool squares instead of wipes. I kept changes of clothes beside changing area. First child I Alwsys used changing mat. Second child was always done on my knee.

If i was to have third child my first purchases would be
    Muslins, bibs, bepanthen cream and calpol, nurofen/paralink suppositories
    Braun ear thermometer
    Good walking buggy compatible with maxi cosi car seat with base in car.
    Baby monitor with temp function
    Nail scissors
    Cotton wool squares, top n tail bowl.
    Changing bag.
    Plenty vests and baby grows
    Gro bag for sleeping
    Elave body wash and or E45 cream
    Travel cot fir naps in kitchen/living room (I fear Moses baskets as they are flimsy) if money was tight I would use cot from start if I could not buy mothercare glider crib.
    Basic baby health book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I also agree with the Phil and teds buggy that can be made into a double. We didn't get it first time and ending up paying twice.

The cocoon in the Phil and teds is great if they fall asleep when you are out walking, you can lift cocoon straight onto your bed or into the cot or Moses basket.

I could count the number of times that I put the car seat onto the travel system to push baby somewhere. Also remember newborns aren't supposed to be in the car seat for too long so if baby did fall asleep in it and you want to bring them into a restaurant on the travel system you will probably end up taking them out anyway.

Also I would say go with your own instinct. Everyone has advice for you, even if you don't ask , just smile and say thank you, but take it with a pinch of salt. Do your own research, make your own decision and just accept that you will make mistakes, but its all part of the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know now that they grow so fast, and spend so little time using anything, that there is heaps of baby things floating around or stuffed into people's attics. Borrow whatever is offered (except carseat). And if you can't borrow it, try donedeal or ebay before buying new.

Clothes, bassinet, baby bath, jumparoo, other toys... All from friends and family.

I also know we never needed a travel system. 3 wheeled Buggy that goes flat for newborns has done us through two children no problem whatsoever. Put a buggy board on the back (thanks donedeal), and it's grand for a toddler. People told me I'd be buying anither one, but we never needed it. Never had a need for anyting other than it, and we walk a lot on beaches, in the woods, and brought it on planes etc. I have to say, I would thank the lady in Tony Kealy's for that advice... Bit sad to hear they are pushing the big extravagent systems now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Second time all we really bought was a double. I wouldn't say get a convertible one though. Lots won't be great as a single.

If anyone asks what to get you tell them you want a voucher or a pack of babygros for 6-9 months. We got mountains of clothes that weren't used much.

Practice putting the car seat in the car and folding and unfolding the buggy.

If you want to breastfeed get decent bras and tops, it'll make you feel less frumpy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Also bear in mind that some advice, while well meaning, is out of date. My mum is great but she made me second guess myself. Trust your instincts.
    The public health nurse system can be hit and miss. The nurses aren't always right so don't feel like you have to do what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the advice, some great stuff there to take in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

Am due in late Dec so this is a great thread - thanks! I am also in the midst of trying to but a travel system. I live in the country (and also live away from my home) so I think I will be using a car seat a good bit to head up home and go to shopws, so would like to get one with that. Also I would need air types or non- puncture tyres as our laneway isn't the best, its quiet stony....its so hard to choose one! All of them are great apparently and some are very dear!!

Any one recommend a good baby monitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We use the angelcare sound monitor with movement sensor pad and we find it great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 emmcc

Can I ask why you have to buy a new car seat? I've been offered a perfectly good one by my brother.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

emmcc wrote: »
    Can I ask why you have to buy a new car seat? I've been offered a perfectly good one by my brother.
    Thanks.

You need to know that is in date and hasn't been in a car crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

emmcc wrote: »
    Thanks.

If you are confident about it's history, it should be fine.

Personally I wouldn't buy one second-hand online etc, but would probably be willing to use one given by a trusted friend or family member.

Mattresses and teats are the other things that should be bought new.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

emmcc - None of my family have spare ones which is why I would like to get a system that includes one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 emmcc

Thanks All, I'd be confident in taking it but will give it a full inspection first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Another lover of the tiny love 3 in 1 rocker, our little lads loves it and sits happily in it cooing at daddy and myself and happily falls asleep in it so it's incredibly handy that you can lower it back into a cot position and let him relax! Also it's brilliant to strap him into if I'm on my own and need to go to the loo or do something for two mins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

You need to know that is in date and hasn't been in a car crash

The other thing is to check is that none of the white foam stuff has chipped/broken off, this can happen easily with wear and tear or being a bit heavy handed!
    I met a girl in dundrum one day who had the same baby car seat as me and she told me she broke the foam on a car seat that was only 4 months old!!! She has no idea on how or when it happened! She only realised it when she removed the seat cover to put in washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

...Don't buy small nappies in bulk... (aka remember the baby is growing when you see a three for two deal!!) and when looking at sale stuff remember it's your babies age + 9/12 months and you will have age and season-appropriate clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yeah our lad is 2 1/2 months and fits 3-6 months very comfortably now so if people are getting you clothes, ask for ones a bit bigger because you don't realise what rate they'll grow at!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

When buying maternity jeans and trousers, buy both over bump and under bump styles. Under bump is great for early pregnancy and after a couple weeks to a few months before your old jeans fit. However, in heavy pregnancy, especially when my bump dropped, I couldn't stand how the band folded over and dug in and always only wore the over bump jeans and trousers and leggings. Also preferred over bump when coming home as the bump doesn't go away for a few weeks! No one really tells you that!

Also, don't buy a lot of size one nappies, they were maybe worn for a week. Size two and three I got about 6 weeks out of, but at 13 weeks my lad is nearly ready for size 4. However he's long and nearly 16 lbs, so you may get a few more weeks out of the 2 and 3, but don't go too mad bulk buying just yet! I bulk bought 144 size 2 and 288 size 3 and they were perfect, but size 1 I had loads left over.

While my lad was long, he was skinny when born and his legs were very scrunched up so he fit into newborn for about a week and a half. However, I put him in 0-3 at the hospital as we were both on IV antibiotics and I was terrified I would hurt his arm putting him into newborn. But don't go mad on newborn clothes, as chances are you won't get much wear out of them. My lad has been in 3 -6 since 7 weeks.

Advertisement