Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Liability Insurance in Ireland ?

Options
  • 02-08-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello guys,

I am a French man and I'll move to Dublin in september. I'll work for Intel which provides me an health insurance but I have some questions regarding another type of insurance.

In France, we need an insurance to cover damages we could do to other people or to their goods. For instance, if i accidentaly burn somebody's house, my insurance will pay for that ( it is an extrem example lol). I think this insurance corresponds to a "civil liability insurance".

Is it mandatory to have such an insurance in Ireland and do you know how i can subscribe to one ?

What happen in Ireland if you hurt somebody or deteriorate something and have no insurance ?

Thank you very much !

Yves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it mandatory to have such an insurance in Ireland and do you know how i can subscribe to one ?

No it is not. It's not even mandatory for businesses like pubs and supermarkets to have such insurance though almost all of them do. Even doctors are not required by law to have civil liability insurance though a new law will fix this....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/bill-to-set-minimum-indemnity-cover-for-doctors-1.1885423
    What happen in Ireland if you hurt somebody or deteriorate something and have no insurance ?

You can be sued in the civil courts though unless you own property, most people wouldn't bother with this process since the court order (awarding someone damages) would effectively be unenforceable.

By the way, you mentioned accidently burning someone's house - if your house goes on fire by accident and your neighbour's house also burns down as a result of the fire, he cannot sue you.... http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1943/en/act/pub/0008/print.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I don't think you can even by a policy like this in Ireland tbh.

You can, however, insure your pet so if it causes an accident, or bites someone the insurer would cover the damage. You must insure your car, so if "it" causes an accident, the loss will be covered by it.

The humans don't need an insurance, apparently.

In case you break someone's tooth in a fight you might be ordered to pay for the damage through a court order. I am sure you are a nice guy, and this wouldn't happen to you anyway.

The businesses have a public liability insurance, which is not needed / available for regular Joes like us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yvesbernard

Thanks for your answer. I think I'll rent a room. As a renter, do I need a house insurance (while I am not the owner of my flat) ?

Thank you very much !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Thanks for your answer. I think I'll rent a room. As a renter, do I need a house insurance (while I am not the owner of my flat) ?

Thank you very much !

Not at all.

If you rent, you might want to take contents insurance ( not sure if you can and want to do it if you are going to rent a room only). The house itself has to be covered by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Hello guys,

I am a French man and I'll move to Dublin in september. I'll work for Intel which provides me an health insurance but I have some questions regarding another type of insurance.

In France, we need an insurance to cover damages we could do to other people or to their goods. For instance, if i accidentaly burn somebody's house, my insurance will pay for that ( it is an extrem example lol). I think this insurance corresponds to a "civil liability insurance".

Thank you very much !

Yves

you can cover your personal public liability by taking out a contents policy. I take it this is what you are asking about. i.e. you are cycling down the road and break a light and hit a pedestrian. He sues and you go to court. your contents policy covers defence and pay out. Same situation if you open an umbrella and hit someone in the face.

• Advertisement
Advertisement