Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi lightway heavy duty light bulbs

Options
  • 02-08-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

Spotted a box set of 4 "Lightway heavy duty light bulbs" in Aldi today for €1.99. They have the common BC22 type fitting and are available in both 60W 610 Lumen and 100W 1210 Lumen. They have the worst energy rating of 'E' but what really caught my attention was that the box clearly stated that they were "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination"

What exactly are they supposed to be for? and what do they mean by "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination?" :confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Spotted a box set of 4 "Lightway heavy duty light bulbs" in Aldi today for €1.99. They have the common BC22 type fitting and are available in both 60W 610 Lumen and 100W 1210 Lumen. They have the worst energy rating of 'E' but what really caught my attention was that the box clearly stated that they were "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination"

What exactly are they supposed to be for? and what do they mean by "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination?" :confused:

-

It's a way to circumvent the EU ban on sale of incandescent bulbs as the ban only effects 'domestic' use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

:D:D:D If That actually is the reason? they don't miss a trick do they :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll have slightly stronger filament supports than the old bulbs had and they have to be clear not frosted; but they are entirely usable for domestic lighting - if you're willing to tolerate the power cost for the benefit of much cheaper bulbs, a more normal colour output, no issues with being used in the cold and working with normal dimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Wonder of they are trying it on like this in their homeland of Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Are they the same as the rough service ones that were available here for festoon lighting maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

Thanks - I just bought these yesterday for using in my en suite with no window!
    Saw the warning and was considering returning them.
    The room is small but the low energy bulbs don't provide enough light to do my make up!
    Think I'll go ahead and keep them, just for use in that room. I have low energy bulbs in most other rooms.

While on the subject, can anyone recommend a good brand of GU50 spot bulb that's energy efficient and not too dark? The normal bulbs are 50W. I have the spot bulbs in my kitchen and any of the low energy bulbs I've tried from B&Q are hardly worth the money, I'd be better off cooking by candle light lol :-)

Advertisement