Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying home for games

• 02-08-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Folks, hoping for a bit of help here.....will be starting a job in London next week but will need to come home for few rounds of football championship, games now coming thick and fast.

Situation is that I want to book flights from London to Shannon for each of the next 4 Fridays and returning on the following Sunday.

I need to get it as cheaply as possible. Would there be companies that maybe would block book seats at really cheap rates on popular flights and then sell on at profit but cheaper than what I can book them for online now. 

What generally happens in GAA club circles in this type of scenario? It must be a massive cost for clubs to bear esp given that there are never long term fixtures.

Any other ideas? I know I can book online myself but it's v dear as need flights so soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

trg wrote: »
    Folks, hoping for a bit of help here.....will be starting a job in London next week but will need to come home for few rounds of football championship, games now coming thick and fast.

Situation is that I want to book flights from London to Shannon for each of the next 4 Fridays and returning on the following Sunday.

I need to get it as cheaply as possible. Would there be companies that maybe would block book seats at really cheap rates on popular flights and then sell on at profit but cheaper than what I can book them for online now.

Not as far as I'm aware. Airlines introduce things like Name Change fees and far difference fees for clamp down on this.

What generally happens in GAA club circles in this type of scenario? It must be a massive cost for clubs to bear esp given that there are never long term fixtures.

Depends on the club and how valuable the player is but in some occasions they will pay for the flights. Check with your club.
    Any other ideas? I know I can book online myself but it's v dear as need flights so soon.

1. The flights won't come down in price.

2. Shop around. I know you say you need to go to Shannon, where are you from? Could you fly into Dublin on the Friday night and get down the road? Can you get to Dublin in time for the last flight on a Sunday. What about Cork/Knock etc.

3. Bear in mind that Friday night and Sunday night are peak times.

I'd speak to your club asap, ask what assistance they can give and then book the flights if you can get some assistance.

If you're in London for the long haul consider joining a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Is it not standard practice for the club to pay for the flights? I know at my club the chairman makes the arrangements for the player(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

h2005 wrote: »
    Is it not standard practice for the club to pay for the flights? I know at my club the chairman makes the arrangements for the player(s).

I can only speak for my own and they have done it in the past.

Advertisement