Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way to reset file and folder permissions for appdata [Win 7 64-bit]

• 02-08-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

As per the title I'm looking for a quick way to reset the file and folder permissions for all files and folders located inside appdata.

I made the stupid mistake of trying to move the appdata folder, was told by windows that they were read only and then decided to go and un-tick read only from the root (appdata including all files and folders) folder. Tried to move them again, couldn't and changed them back to read only (including all files and folders).

I then realised I'd messed up when I had no "create new" options when right clicking and almost all my applications had problems saving settings. Deleted the contents of each applications folder inside appdata and had each application create a new appdata folder one at a time, which did work.

Is there a "restore to default" option for file/folder permissions? I don't see any problems so far (a month or two after my "fix"), event viewer isn't showing any warnings regarding folder access... still if there is a "restore to default" option for permissions I'd like to run it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement