Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probiotics

• 02-08-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations for probiotics for cats? Dude doesn't really like natural yoghurt, he'll only have a lick or 2 and get sick of it, but I'd like to give him some sort of probiotic as he gets the runs so often!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anyone have any recommendations for probiotics for cats? Dude doesn't really like natural yoghurt, he'll only have a lick or 2 and get sick of it, but I'd like to give him some sort of probiotic as he gets the runs so often!
    When Holly was on some strong antibiotics recently for her mystery infection she got the squits and our vet gave us some stuff called Canigest to give her. It's a combination of a probiotic and kaolin and comes in calibrated syringe that you use to put it direct into their mouths. Seemed to work quite well, although she didn't like it that much even though it's supposed to be palatable to them. It's not on prescription.

This is the stuff ...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-prebiotic-probiotic-products-c-5_172/canigest-paste-for-cats-and-dogs-30ml-p-4094

EDIT: just noticed it's an Irish product as well, made in Naas, co. Kildare !!

http://www.trmpet.com/english-product-info/376-canigest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I find this one great - http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus-2-5-oz-70-5-g-Powder/4295 **NB don't come back here blaming me for spending a fortune on iherb ;) :pac: also keep your order under €22 and pick the $4 postage to avoid customs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just get probiotics in places like Holland and Barrett. The ones you keep in the fridge once they've been opened. I get the capsule ones that you can sprinkle into food and ours eat it. So far as I know it's the same as the human dose, well I only give them 1 a day of those when they need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Now I've been searching through iherb and can already see myself spending a fortune, thanks tk :P I'll price all those around and see what works for his smelly bum! I wouldn't mind him having the runs only for the horrendous smell in the mornings when I come down stairs. That, and the fact he somehow broke into my room and went ALL over my bed last night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I find that one from iherb has an instant affect - one dose of it and problem solved!

• Advertisement
Advertisement