Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need career guidance/advice re general nursing course

Options
  • 02-08-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am not sure if I have made the right decision. I am starting general nursing as a mature student in September but I always had a huge interest in midwifery and don't know if I should have chosen mids direct entry or not. The reason I didn't choose direct entry is because I do have an interest in all aspects of healthcare and wanted to learn about all areas and also leave myself open to different career paths down the line. Also I was worried I might not have kids myself in the future due to a colorful history when it comes to me and pregnancy and couldn't see myself working as a midwife if this were to happen, it would be unbearable. So I thought if I done general I could always do the hpid in midwifery but after doing some research I have discovered this may be removed from the curriculum and is under review. Now I am in a spin, I dont know whether to just go for the general and hope midwifery will still be available or forfeit my place and do the entrance exam and all that again next year. Any advice much appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I think you've outlined a lot of reasons for yourself why going the general nursing route first and then perhaps pursuing midwifery after would be a better choice. Sounds like you just need to push yourself in the right direction. Do general nursing first and be secure that you've made a good, correct choice. If you still want to be a midwife it's easy to focus on that area then, lots of people do it. :) Best of luck in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Thanks Taco. I suppose I am just worried the pg dip in midwifery will be removed from the curriculum by the time I finish because I have heard so much rumours that this is the plan due to the introduction of the undergrad course in midwifery

Advertisement