Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic Restaurant in New York

Options
  • 02-08-2014 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Myself and partner are going to New-York in November and we are looking for somewhere really plush to dine one night as a treat. I have looked at the Waldorf Astoria and the Four Seasons for Dinner and Cocktails but was wondering did anyone have any recommendations. We have been saving all year and just want a treat on one night.

Thanks X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Definitely don't go to the Waldorf, it's restaurant is not at all well regarded and it wouldn't be a great venue for cocktails either - it's not the hotel you might imagine it to be in local prestige any more. If you want to spend money on cocktails in a classic New York hotel you should consider either Bemelman's Bar at the Carlyle or drinks at the Algonquin. Bemelman's would win out for most since they also have cabaret singers there (of world caliber). The Algonquin's lobby and bar are undoubtedly beautiful though. Men are generally expected to wear a jacket in either venue by the way. If you are a younger couple you might want to consider checking out some of the trendy cocktail bars downtown such as Death & Co. it's an interesting venue and the drinks there are generally regarded as some of the best in the world.

For dinner, if cash is not an issue Eleven Madison Park is generally considered to be both the best restaurant in the city at the moment and also one of the best looking - it certainly qualifies as romantic. If you want somewhere much cheaper, La Lanterna di Vittorio in Greenwich Village has a very nice room with an indoor garden. It's basic Italian but the food is very well executed. Somewhere in between either of these price wise would be One If By Land, Two If By Sea in the West Village on a very pretty seat. It has a lovely room and has excellent contemporary American food, the Chef's tasting menu is $125 per person, though you can eat a la carte for less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Another vote for "One If By Land, Two If By Sea". I went there for a wedding anniversary and can still remember everything about the experience years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ClareP1983

Thanks everyone will defo check them out!! Xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I think Pastis has been closed for a few months, but the food in there is amazing! Keep an eye on it reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What about the Tavern On The Green? Its on the edge of central park. I know it reopened again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What about the Tavern On The Green? Its on the edge of central park. I know it reopened again.

It's honestly one of the worst restaurants in New York. If you really want to go there go for brunch (and get ripped off), don't go for dinner. The food is terrible and nobody local goes there so you'll be eating with a bunch of tourists. A nice place to go in the park is the Central Park Boathouse, again I wouldn't eat there but it's very nice to sit at the bar and look out at the lake. Especially in winter when they usually have a fire going and a piano player. It's often closed for weddings on Saturdays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

ClareP1983 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Myself and partner are going to New-York in November and we are looking for somewhere really plush to dine one night as a treat. I have looked at the Waldorf Astoria and the Four Seasons for Dinner and Cocktails but was wondering did anyone have any recommendations. We have been saving all year and just want a treat on one night.

Thanks X

A special treat would be The view restaurant... Its on top of the marriot marquis times sq (48 flr).A revolving restaurant with 360 views of the city. Some spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Advertisement