Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you study when studying music at college?

Options
  • 02-08-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Sounds like a stupid question but what I mean is, is it all theory? In my school the music class is pointless for anyone who plays guitar (as I do ) because the theory said is completely irrelevant (well maybe bits can be adapted but very little )
    Will it be like that? I mean I do know music theory to a degree but it's nt my cup of tea (maybe I should be a poet ;) )

I want to study music to play music, I had also been thinking of the institute of contemporary music performance but if I don't have to go over there I won't as it's very expensive.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I think Snoop Dogg may have the answer to your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Sounds like a stupid question but what I mean is, is it all theory? In my school the music class is pointless for anyone who plays guitar (as I do ) because the theory said is completely irrelevant (well maybe bits can be adapted but very little )
    Will it be like that? I mean I do know music theory to a degree but it's nt my cup of tea (maybe I should be a poet ;) )

I want to study music to play music, I had also been thinking of the institute of contemporary music performance but if I don't have to go over there I won't as it's very expensive.

Any help?

I suppose it depends on each courses layout, they won't all be the same as each other.

Typically music degrees will cover theory, composition and ear training. The ear training is stuff like listening to the notes, rhythm, and intervals on a piano. Then being able to notate them accurately on a stave. This will be handy when playing with other musicians, you'll identify the chord changes and be able to react better.

Theory is good to have. I'm no expert myself by any means but it will help you write music better, when you have that understanding. Knowing a bit of it has helped me practice better and get more results. You'll know yourself, by getting more into the technical side you'll get better quicker than just playing along with tunes on the guitar.

There's degrees out there focused more on performance. You should expect to have to perform solo/as a group in front of people and be examined by the lecturers in your typical music degree. There probably will be ensembles like orchestra (classical), traditional music, guitar ensemble, maybe jazz groups, although jazz is far more widespread in colleges in America it seems.

There might be some music technology stuff thrown in and more academic stuff like studying the history of music.

ICMP would be expensive enough as it's private but we have had BIMM here now in Dublin for 3/4 years and their degree course is on the "free fees" scheme just like any other CAO course.

Best of luck, hope that helped you a bit.

Advertisement