Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furry friends attending wedding?

• 02-08-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

My partner and I have no children but we do have a little yorkie we consider our little girl. We recently got engaged and I can’t imagine the day without her. Has anyone on here held or attended a wedding where the bride+grooms dog (or other flurries) attended?

Moderators: I ask this in the animals section (rather than weddings) because I think it’s more so the target audience ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I haven't attended one, but I know that certain dog sitters offer a wedding service, they will bring the dog along, be there if needed through the ceremony etc, and then can take the dog away and look after it at home during the reception and overnight. I'm not sure who, if any, in Ireland offer that service, but if you have enough time, you should be able to book somebody. Whilst you may want the dog to be there for the whole day, the actual logistics may be too difficult if you're going for a traditional wedding, of a service (not necessarily religious) and then a sit down meal, evening reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I should add, it will be a none religious wedding (humanist), with an intimate reception afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Might be cute to get a cake topper made with the 3 of u on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

muddypaws wrote: »
    I haven't attended one, but I know that certain dog sitters offer a wedding service, they will bring the dog along, be there if needed through the ceremony etc, and then can take the dog away and look after it at home during the reception and overnight. I'm not sure who, if any, in Ireland offer that service, but if you have enough time, you should be able to book somebody. Whilst you may want the dog to be there for the whole day, the actual logistics may be too difficult if you're going for a traditional wedding, of a service (not necessarily religious) and then a sit down meal, evening reception.

There's a place in Cork who offer this service, as far as I know they bring the doggies for photos etc and look after them over night. Not sure if I'm allowed to name names on thread, but you can PM me if you want the name if Cork is in anyway close to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I attended a wedding where the lab was invited.
    He was very nice dressed as well :D
    I am close friend of the couple and I kept the lab during the church function outside and for all the time almost.
    During the dinner in the restaurant I think he was somewhere else in a room (we were in a castle near Sligo) and after again I was with him playing and so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ClubDead wrote: »
    My partner and I have no children but we do have a little yorkie we consider our little girl. We recently got engaged and I can’t imagine the day without her. Has anyone on here held or attended a wedding where the bride+grooms dog (or other flurries) attended?

Moderators: I ask this in the animals section (rather than weddings) because I think it’s more so the target audience ;)

There is a fab venue in Wicklow called rathsallagh house. It is pet friendly but dogs aren't allowed inside. They have kennels on site that you can use free of charge and you could have your dog there for photos on the grounds no probs.

There is another venue in Wicklow called summerhill house again it is the same thing, they have no probs with photos outside on the premises butdogs aren't allowed inside.

There are a few churches in south dublin who are very pet friendly and hold a blessing of the pets every year- one is church of Ireland st thomas, on fosters avenue, mount merrion, the CofI in rathfarnham do one too, a Church called St. Josephs in glastule do one too. There is even more but I have never gone to them. If you wanted to go down the church wedding route I would doubt any of these churches would have a problem with your little dog being there. Anyone who has ever been to a blessing on the pets will have seen dogs sitting on the seats!!

I think the rev in rathfarnham has changed though. There was a husband and wife team who owned 2 golden retrievers, 1 would be on the alter for blessing of the pets abut because the other one was super contrary she had to stay at home and projected a huge photo of her in for the ceremony. It was an absolute scream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

My dog was at our ceremony... Although it was outdoors. We had a friends son drive out with him. He was there for ceremony and pics and then went home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Look up pet friendly hotels in Ireland , there are quite a few and they do civil ceremony. I know Markree castle in Sligo are a great pet hotel

The Racing Manager of Waterford track had her greyhound as ring bearer in the church, so I'm sure it can be done with a bit of negotation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The Racing Manager of Waterford track had her greyhound as ring bearer in the church, so I'm sure it can be done with a bit of negotation!

A few years ago we considered having our 3 labs but decided against it as two of them are a bit contrary!!! Robbie Williams had them as his bridesmaids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I plan on having my dog as our flower girl, I even made her a set of crocheted flowers to put on her collar!! :P I'm looking to see if I can make a ring bearer pillow so my mam's dog can bring up the rings!!

The ceremony and afters will be near my parents house so they will just go back there once the ceremony and photos are over.

I think it's a great idea to include them if you can, for me it would be weird having all my family but not the most important members of the family. (If I thought I could get the cat involved too I would, but he's pretty anti-social :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I use a pet sitting service and I'm pretty sure they offer this type of thing -bring your dog to the ceremony and bring them home afterwards. They're called pet sitters ireland. Enjoy your day!

Advertisement