Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurler of the Year 2014

• 02-08-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously a bit early to reach any conclusive opinion, whoever wins the All-Ireland will probably have their player get the award, but who are the contenders at this stage?

For me, I think Richie Hogan has been the outstanding player in the Championship to date. But if KK don't win the All-Ireland, he probably won't get it. For Kilkenny, TJ Reid has probably been their other standout player so far, although I've been hugely impressed with Cillian Buckley this season too.

Cork have had a number of standouts... Pat Horgan, Conor Lehane, Aidan Walsh, Daniel Kearney, Alan Cadogan; Harnedy had a very good Munster final, as did Christopher Joyce. Although to win HotY, you probably have to be a media favourite too.

Limerick's stand-out players have been Dowling, Jim-Bob, Browne, Richie Mc and Hickey, I suppose.

If Tipp win the All-Ireland; I couldn't see it going to anyone other than Bonner Maher even if they have a number of other players in great form, he is just class.

But yeah, at the moment I'd have Hogan up on top but there isn't really anyone who you could say is going to win it regardless of who wins the All-Ireland and the 2 games left are the 2 most important for each individual.

For young hurler, I think it was a 3-way fight between Dowling, Cadogan & McDonald; I don't think McDonald will be in contention now as both others have at least 1 game left. I'd say Cadogan is slightly ahead atm because his team won the Munster title but Dowling has been superb from open play & frees this year too. Both in strong contention for an All-Star too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd say Hogan is a lock to win it if he puts in one more strong performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Don't think so. The semi and final are by far the two most important matches for deciding it and also it'll probably go to the winner.

Hogan is the frontrunner obviously and Kilkenny are the favourites. TJ Reid or Colin Fennelly could get it if they run riot.

Dowling would be my choice for Limerick so far but all to play for.

I can't see Tip winning the All Ireland without Callinan racking up some big scores. So if they win he should get it.

Cork have no stand out player so far. I'll go with Horgan as the best forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 menace404

Morte wrote: »
    Don't think so. The semi and final are by far the two most important matches for deciding it and also it'll probably go to the winner.

Hogan is the frontrunner obviously and Kilkenny are the favourites. TJ Reid or Colin Fennelly could get it if they run riot.

Dowling would be my choice for Limerick so far but all to play for.

I can't see Tip winning the All Ireland without Callinan racking up some big scores. So if they win he should get it.

Cork have no stand out player so far. I'll go with Horgan as the best forward.

Cork have no stand out player???? Completely disingenuous. Steven McDonnell is Hurler of the year for me so far.....without doubt. Since the AI final replay last year right through the league and all 2014 championship he has been outstanding. If it was Jackie Tyrell or Paul Murphy performing at the level Stevie is at the moment we wouldn't hear the end of it from forums and the media but because Mac goes about his business with no fuss you don't hear a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

menace404 wrote: »
    Cork have no stand out player???? Completely disingenuous. Steven McDonnell is Hurler of the year for me so far.....without doubt. Since the AI final replay last year right through the league and all 2014 championship he has been outstanding. If it was Jackie Tyrell or Paul Murphy performing at the level Stevie is at the moment we wouldn't hear the end of it from forums and the media but because Mac goes about his business with no fuss you don't hear a word.

Yeah everyone's out to get ye. If only he made a huge fuss like the two attention whores, Paul Murphy and Jackie Tyrell...

Richie Hogan, if the award was being given out today. But the last two games will tell all, I think sometimes they're the only games some of the judges watch. How many times has the winner not been from the champions? Dan shanahan comes to mind, and Ollie Canning surely must have won it at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

menace404 wrote: »

A bit harsh to call the post disingenuous, in fact I would completely agree with it. McDonnell has been solid in most games so far but no more than that. I think Lehane has been Cork's stand out performer in the games I have seen. When he gets going he can appear unmarkable at times, although he sometimes appears to drift out of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I personally think Daniel Kearney has been Cork's best player, but Aidan Walsh seems to be getting more plaudits, so is the more likely to get it atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭randd1

The favourites for HOTY for me so far this year are:

1- Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    2- TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    3- Pat Horgan (Cork)
    4- Bonnar Maher (Tipp)

I know it seems a bit biased to have the two Kilkenny lads first, but for me Richie Hogan has been a cut above everyone else this year to date, and his performance levels were there in the league as well so it is over the year. Has barely put a foot wrong this year.

Ditto Reid, but Hogan has had way more influence overall. Reid has done what has needed to be done, but there's not much for me between Horgan and Reid at all, I'd have them very even, but Reid carries more of a goal threat from open play than Horgan and has got more than him.

Horgan is having his best year to date for Cork, he's virtually pointed every free, he scored two crucial goals to beat Clare, and only for him the first day out grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck, Waterford would have beaten Cork. A slight bit subdued in the Munster final, but still played well.

Bonnar Maher is not the best hurler Tipp have, nor the most creative, nor the most prolific. But for his sheer determination, for his sheer effort, his fighting for absolutely everything and his workrate, I don't know would Tipp be where they are. He does the work of two men so the rest of Tipp forwards are able to do what they do best.

Of the four players names, I think Maher has the biggest influence on his side, but he's not as good as the other three so far, Horgan was a bit subdued against Limerick in the Munster Final, while Reid has played some handier opposition.

At the moment, its Richie Hogan for HOTY for me, he's been in this incredible from the league, in a position he's not familiar with, and he's been running the show as he's been getting the space to use that great hurling brain of his, and so far he's been a cut above the rest this year.

Though I think the HOTY will come down to which side wins the AI.

Honourable mentions to Richie McCarthy, Lehane, Kearney and Callanan, all who have been brilliant this year to date.

I actually think some people underrate Bonner Maher because of his work rate, but he's actually come on as a hurler a huge amount over the past 5 years.

He's their best ball-winner in attack.
    He's their best direct runner, when he gets the ball, he's very hard to stop.
    He's a pretty adept score-taker at this stage, particularly for goals... I would go as far to say he's the best goalscorer in their team, the 2 against Clare in the league semi-final and the one against Limerick were against strong defences.
    He's also pretty creative, an intelligent hurler who picks out a good pass.
    And then you've got his ability to scrap for possession, to make it difficult for backs and bring others into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Yeah everyone's out to get ye. If only he made a huge fuss like the two attention whores, Paul Murphy and Jackie Tyrell...

Richie Hogan, if the award was being given out today. But the last two games will tell all, I think sometimes they're the only games some of the judges watch. How many times has the winner not been from the champions? Dan shanahan comes to mind, and Ollie Canning surely must have won it at some stage?

Ollie has never won hurler of the year, he has 4 all stars though.

Personally I think TJ Reid has been the stand out player in the championship so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Stephen McDonnell :confused:

• Advertisement

Stephen McDonnell :confused:

He's been pretty solid, but Cork have had some outstanding players.

Was he marking Mulcahy in the Munster final?

Fireball07 wrote: »

He's been decent, but hurler of the year only in some alternate universe.

I would say bar the first Waterford game, Lehane is probably the on they've been able to depend on the most up front and Aidan Walsh has taken to it very well.

But I think Richie Hogan is the best so far, and Callinan if a bit better on the ball v Limerick would be a very close second. Seems to have turned the corner a bit but yeah only one hurler of the year for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

I actually think some people underrate Bonner Maher because of his work rate, but he's actually come on as a hurler a huge amount over the past 5 years.

He's a pretty adept score-taker at this stage, particularly for goals... I would go as far to say he's the best goalscorer in their team

I love Bonner, but with a team that has Lar Corbett, that just couldn't be true :D

He's their best ball-winner in attack.
    He's their best direct runner, when he gets the ball, he's very hard to stop.
    He's a pretty adept score-taker at this stage, particularly for goals... I would go as far to say he's the best goalscorer in their team, the 2 against Clare in the league semi-final and the one against Limerick were against strong defences.
    He's also pretty creative, an intelligent hurler who picks out a good pass.
    And then you've got his ability to scrap for possession, to make it difficult for backs and bring others into the game.

I dunno he had two chance for goals that he didn't take against Dublin. Bubbles whenever he gets in position is a better finisher, Corbett and Callina too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

He was indeed. In the last 2 years he's been superb for us but not hurler of the year material this year, particularly after the Limerick game where he didn't contain Mulcahy.

From a Cork perspective it would have to be Horgan or either of the midfielders. Harnedy would be a small step behind as he wasn't great in the first Waterford game.

Realistically it all depends on the next two games and who actually wins it out. If a forward hits 1-5 in the next two games and go on to win it they'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Richie Hogan. KK are league and Leinster champions. When he hasn't been their best player, he's still been very prominent. Some other notables are TJ, Bonnar, Horgan, Walsh. IMO there hasn't been a standout LK player for HOTY yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Patrick Horgan is a genius but I feel he goes missing to often in big matches. Play him in half forward line where he is more involved . He hides in full forward line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Fergal Moore :)

Fergal Moore :)

:) That's nice

Fwiw:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-ireland-shc?ev_oc_grp_ids=1578482

7/2
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid

11/2
    Pat Horgan

6/1
    Seamus Callanan

10/1
    Bonner Maher

12/1
    Seamus Harnedy

16/1
    Shane Dowling

Other random ones:

Hannon/Jim-Bob/Richie Mc- 25/1
    Aidan Walsh- 33/1
    Alan Cadogan- 50/1
    Graeme Mulcahy/Daniel Kearney- 80/1

"Paudie" Browne- 100/1

Great achievement for Limerick footballer, Paudie Browne, to be given the same odds as Anthony Nash & Wayne Mac despite not having played senior hurling... even at club level, ever.

Kearney at 80/1 does look a very good price if you ask me.

Dowling odds-on for Young Hurler.

• Advertisement

Fwiw:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-ireland-shc?ev_oc_grp_ids=1578482

7/2
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid

11/2
    Pat Horgan

6/1
    Seamus Callanan

10/1
    Bonner Maher

12/1
    Seamus Harnedy

16/1
    Shane Dowling

Other random ones:

Hannon/Jim-Bob/Richie Mc- 25/1
    Aidan Walsh- 33/1
    Alan Cadogan- 50/1
    Graeme Mulcahy/Daniel Kearney- 80/1

"Paudie" Browne- 100/1

Great achievement for Limerick footballer, Paudie Browne, to be given the same odds as Anthony Nash & Wayne Mac despite not having played senior hurling... even at club level, ever.

Kearney at 80/1 does look a very good price if you ask me.

Someone called him Paudie Browne on the Sunday game as well.

Someone called him Paudie Browne on the Sunday game as well.

It's fairly poor tbh, it's not as if he's a new player or anything.

If HotY was truly a reflection of League, Championship & everything, Browne would have to be Limerick's leading candidate, he carried Limerick almost single-handedly through the league and has been impressive in all 3 Championship matches.

But it really is a Championship award, and I think that's fair enough.

Surely Cadogan. Is Dowling not a bit old i.e. Over 21?

citykat wrote: »
    Surely Cadogan. Is Dowling not a bit old i.e. Over 21?

Dowling is 10/11, Cadogan 11/10.

Dowling is 21, captain of our U-21s this year.

All-Star team based on odds
    Murphy
    Hickey McCarthy Cahill
    P. Maher B. Maher Buckley
    A. Walsh Hogan
    Harnedy P. Maher Reid
    Fennelly Callanan Horgan

I had to make a few adjustments because some people are listed in positions they haven't played in, and there were a couple of people whose odds were level.

That would be:

5 KK, 5 Tipp, 3 CK, 2 LK

Which I wouldn't agree with... Cork as Munster champions and probably the most impressive team to date are very hard done by. But that means there's money to be won if you reckon Cork are going to get a few more All-Stars. Lehane @9/4, Joyce @11/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jommer01

All-Star team based on odds
    Murphy
    Hickey McCarthy Cahill
    P. Maher B. Maher Buckley
    A. Walsh Hogan
    Harnedy P. Maher Reid
    Fennelly Callanan Horgan

I had to make a few adjustments because some people are listed in positions they haven't played in, and there were a couple of people whose odds were level.

That would be:

5 KK, 5 Tipp, 3 CK, 2 LK

Which I wouldn't agree with... Cork as Munster champions and probably the most impressive team to date are very hard done by. But that means there's money to be won if you reckon Cork are going to get a few more All-Stars. Lehane @9/4, Joyce @11/2.

A fairly pointless exercise discussing HOTY and even all stars before a ball has been pucked im the semis. Just ask Shane O Neill who was a nailed on all star and possibly in the running for HOTY if the final was decided the first day!

Whoever wins it will only do so with their key men playing well so take your pick of James Ryan, Dowling, Lehane, Horgan, TJ, Hogan, Callinan, Bonnar!

Head says Kilkenny, heart says Cork! Still think Horgan drifts out of games a bit too much but always lethal from set pieces. He has become much more of a team player the last couple of years, hopefully Lehane and Cadogan will develop similarly over the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

12 of the 15 All Star positions will be based on the A.I final as will HOTY. It has become one of the great traditions of the GAA. If Cork play limerick in the final and Limerick win you will have 7 Limerick, 5 Cork, 1 Kilkenny, 1 Tipp and 1 guest and so on and so forth for who ever wins and loses. Some of the names mentioned above will drop like flies if their county lose next Sunday. Pity there is not some other system for picking them based on the whole season and not just one game. A much overrated award as things stand.

Can't see beyond Richie Hogan, even if he was taken off early today.

+1.

• Advertisement

Callanan got 2 goals though, albeit wasn't that involved. Probably right, winning team will swing it I guess.

Callanan got 2 goals though, albeit wasn't that involved. Probably right, winning team will swing it I guess.

Tap ins. Very quiet today. JJ had him bottled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Seamus Callinan ?

Have to be in the right place. No coincidence like. And took the first very well.

To be honest, both have had great years. Wouldn't have any qualms whoever got it, but maybe just purely on account of not getting much recognition awards wise (courtesy of RTE), Richie Hogan should get it.

In fairness, Callanan has had a great year too, ran up huge scores. But Hogan still got a couple of nice points today from midfield, despite being quieter than usual.

Callanan will be nominated too, as will...... I actually have no idea. Maybe Bubbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

JJ Delaney another contender

• Advertisement

Have to be in the right place. No coincidence like. And took the first very well.

To be honest, both have had great years. Wouldn't have any qualms whoever got it, but maybe just purely on account of not getting much recognition awards wise (courtesy of RTE), Richie Hogan should get it.

Taking my black and amber glasses off (for once) there's probably a case for SC. TBF this Tipp were good enough to win something this year. Amazing that they come away with nothing from the season.

Taking my black and amber glasses off (for once) there's probably a case for SC. TBF this Tipp were good enough to win something this year. Amazing that they come away with nothing from the season.

Yeah I'd say it's very close to be honest, but would say Hogan will just about shade it.

I guess, maybe Limerick will be thinking the same. Personally, even if a Kilkenny man collecting the cup is all to familiar I feel that the championships are getting far more interesting. Couldn't call Munster next year, though we might all be better off leaving someone else win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They all count.

I hate Tipp but I would give it to Callanan over Hogan to be honest. Hogan will get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

They were more than tap ins. Colin Fennelly had a very similar "tap in" to SC's first goal and wasn't good enough to "tap it in"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I think even the most anti Tipp people couldn't begrudge SC the award. 2-13 between the two finals, and exceptional scoring all year long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Callinan was by far the best hurler of the year. If KK had him in their forward line, let's just say there wouldn't have been replays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Rightwing wrote: »
    Callinan was by far the best hurler of the year. If KK had him in their forward line, let's just say there wouldn't have been replays.

And if Tipperary had Richie Hogan in theirs Tipp would have won.

Callanan wasn't the best hurler of the year by far either. Nonsense to suggest he was that far ahead of Hogan this year

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I think even the most anti Tipp people couldn't begrudge SC the award. 2-13 between the two finals, and exceptional scoring all year long.

SC has gotten scores as he's played FF and taken the frees all year for Tipp. Richie has put in motm performances from a variety of positions and chipped with some points all from play. Scoring isn't the only criterion for HOTY. SC scored two goals yesterday but missed the same through hooks and blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

andyman wrote: »
    And if Tipperary had Richie Hogan in theirs Tipp would have won.

Callanan wasn't the best hurler of the year by far either. Nonsense to suggest he was that far ahead of Hogan this year

Hogan ? Was that the Hogan that was taken off in the biggest game of the year ? :eek:

Rightwing wrote: »
    Hogan ? Was that the Hogan that was taken off in the biggest game of the year ? :eek:

SC got taken off in the drawn game. It's an award for performances over the year not one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

Cillian Buckley has been immense all year.Id give it to him

SC got taken off in the drawn game. It's an award for performances over the year not one day.

Ah here, after 71 minutes.

Advertisement